Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New windows - question on sensors

Options
  • 22-11-2019 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

We had new windows fitted this week in our house. We have wired sensors on all windows and doors downstairs, and to be honest they had completely slipped my mind - i never even considered the implication of the change in windows.

So on the morning of the fitting, the guys just asked for the alarm code off me.

Windows are all fitted, everything went well.

My problem is now that i have wires hanging from each window, and the sensors are taken apart.

Is it normal to have to get a professional out to rewire these after a window installation, or might I have expected the window company to deal with this?

Another query - on some of the windows, the casing on the wire seems to have been cut/stripped away - leaving the inner wires exposed. I looks to me like there is not enough good wire there to refit the window contacts. I have attached an image as an example. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It was your responsibility to remove the sensors before the new windows were fitted and to fit them again on the new windows, IMO.

... unless of course you had agreed with the window fitters to do so beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The sales person who measured up the windows should have mentioned it to you about getting the alarm company out to remove the sensors.
    Also only a licensed installer can work on your alarm so best find a local licensed installer to fit new sensors.
    Looks like those stripped wires were in trunking

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thanks for your responses. The window company didn’t say anything about the sensors but in fairness I should have asked

Would those exposed wires be live/dangerous? If I want to tidy them until an installer comes around do I need to turn off mains power first?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We're due to get windows in in January and we got an email with all the quotes and documentation. I'm pretty sure it stated that it was up to use to remove that sort of thing before the installation of the new windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Put them in self adhesive trunking and screw them back into the new windows. If they're self adhesive replace the self adhesive stuff.

The systems already installed these are basically hanging loose. Do this before calling out an installer. There's no regulations stating that you can't affix an already installed system back in situ

Test by arming and opening when done

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I agree they look like they were in trunking previousally. Putting the old sensors back up wouldn't look great on the new windows to be honest.
    I'd recommend getting a professional installer out to do I nice tidy job with new sensors that will blend in with the new windows.
    The wires are not live or connected to the mains. Nothing to worry about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Just wondering if I can snip the ends of the wires to remove the sensors - want to tidy up/tape the wires to the wall while we decide what we are going to do.

Will this trigger the alarm to go off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Just wondering if I can snip the ends of the wires to remove the sensors - want to tidy up/tape the wires to the wall while we decide what we are going to do.

Will this trigger the alarm to go off?

It will trigger the alarm tamper but your code will turn off the alarm system.
    Its best to leave the cables as long as possible so installer can have cable to play with if needs be when installing new sensors.

Advertisement