Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile abbotair

Options
  • 11-12-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭

Are these in Ireland I know they are big in the states where a lad drives in to the farm with a large truck and does the killing and hanging and cut them in to managble quarters. Just wondering would it work here or is there too much red tape.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In theory there is supposed to be a service that can kill an animal on a farm and take it along with the blood to an abattoir. Doesn't exist in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭toleratethis

They'd be a fantastic addition to farms all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I saw something about them being in the UK a few years back. Don't remember enough about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

You need a separate license to kill cattle in the field than the abattoir. A lad near me does it. Covers a good few counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What I am thinking a lad with one of these mobile abbotair, I have seen them on utube but can't put up the link, a large truck with a freezer and saws and crane the works could go straight to the farmer kill and hang the animal and bring them straight to the supermarket butcher cutting out all the middle men.

• Advertisement

Memory, didn't know anyone had succeeded in doing it in Ireland. Would be a great service for an injured animal, rather than leaving good meat go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I hazard a guess that it will be very hard to comply with all regulations in relation to abattoirs and selling into the commercial food chain.

Would it not be a lot simpler to bring the animals to an independent abattoir and just pay them for the killing and chilling ?

See an ad for the service in the IFJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I hazard a guess that it will be very hard to comply with all regulations in relation to abattoirs and selling into the commercial food chain.

Would it not be a lot simpler to bring the animals to an independent abattoir and just pay them for the killing and chilling ?

Fewer and fewer of these...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement