Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 update question.

Options
  • 25-11-2019 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently running Windows 7 and looking to upgrade to Windows 10.

I was wondering what the best option is. Should I just upgrade from 7 to 10 or do a complete fresh install ?

If I do just an upgrade will that keep all the Drivers/desktop apps and games etc?

Will a fresh install require updated drivers and the re installation of games etc ?

Sorry for the newbie question I am not to tech savvy.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

if you use steam games will download back up once you login to steam, also steam allows to move games to different drives.

In short its better to do clean install- pains taking but at least its free of any cross moving issues, that might present and system will run faster/cleaner, just backup most important photos etc to different drive usb, also make list for drivers and might as well download most in advance java,flash, gpu, whatever else you might be using to get back and running faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Hi Scamalert,

Thanks for the fast reply and advice.

Will start the clean install this weekend.

Thanks,

Dave.

gl buddy, make sure to run all the updates theres one massive that came out recently, biggest pain in the butt is to wait out all the updates, as most of them run in the background, so keep checking windows update tab and keep refreshing- last update had serial number like 1904 or something like that that lets people to postpone updates so nice feature.

as for rest it wont hurt getting new drivers, as migrating often can cause registry issues etc, depending on how much stuff you got going, where clean install specially on win 10 usually goes smooth nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I updated a 10year old laptop from Win7 to Win 10 yesterday for free with no fresh install and all went smoothly.
    It now seems to start and run faster then when I upgraded the HDD to a SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

bromley52 wrote: »
    I updated a 10year old laptop from Win7 to Win 10 yesterday for free with no fresh install and all went smoothly.
    It now seems to start and run faster then when I upgraded the HDD to a SSD.

Good for you. Hope it works out.

I'm actually going through the process of removing Windows 10 Pro, freshly installed ~ 9 months ago, from my 4 year old laptop to go back to Windows 7 Pro.

Every Windows 10 update so far seems to bring a bundle of driver issues with it. (Even when I'd thought I had disabled updates completely).

Sound stopping, headphone jack/speakers or both. Display driver changes, WiFi issues. Lost productivity when Windows decides its time to update and shuts down the machine for a couple of hours. Worst Windows to date.

Unfortunate was just getting used to Office 2019, which only works on Windows 10.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement

323 wrote: »
    Good for you. Hope it works out.

I'm actually going through the process of removing Windows 10 Pro, freshly installed ~ 9 months ago, from my 4 year old laptop to go back to Windows 7 Pro.

Every Windows 10 update so far seems to bring a bundle of driver issues with it. (Even when I'd thought I had disabled updates completely).

Sound stopping, headphone jack/speakers or both. Display driver changes, WiFi issues. Lost productivity when Windows decides its time to update and shuts down the machine for a couple of hours. Worst Windows to date.

Unfortunate was just getting used to Office 2019, which only works on Windows 10.
    updates are annyoing but still good to see OS is being constantly worked on, as for drivers etc, yeah depending on machine it could cause many issues as most dont get updated properly by manufacturers so instead are left like win7 compatible with win10 which rarely works as advertised. but once you get over the quirks its a nice and stable OS in general, granted if you dont game or require much then win 7 is perfect, as for getting free copy windows are free anyway restricted thou and watermark but no need to pay, also keys can be bought for little to nothing nowadays, if you need home legit copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭joe90

Bit the bullet and did a complete fresh install of Windows 10.

Went really well and so easy to do.

Thanks for all the advice.

joe90 wrote: »
    Bit the bullet and did a complete fresh install of Windows 10.

Went really well and so easy to do.

Thanks for all the advice.
    way better to go with clean install rules out old software conflicts registry issues etc, once you setup all drivers up to date think win10, is smth like xp was at its day, granted few quirks with constant updates but otherwise pretty reliable.

Advertisement