Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playdate - A new handheld console

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a shame: the makers of the console apparently trying to encourage / ask / tell (little bit vague which one exactly) events using the name ‘playdate’ to stop using it. Not exactly the sort of thing that plays into attempting to cultivate a rebellious, underdog image for yourself:

https://twitter.com/hollygramazio/status/1133285994093060096?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This is a shame: the makers of the console apparently trying to encourage / ask / tell (little bit vague which one exactly) events using the name ‘playdate’ to stop using it. Not exactly the sort of thing that plays into attempting to cultivate a rebellious, underdog image for yourself:

What a bunch of arseholes...

My kids are going on a playda... sorry, an informal get-together of children.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

In terms of design I think it's great. Seems like it was inspired by Teenage Engineering's design style.
    Too rich for my blood but I'd definitely love a go!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More than likely it's their overzealous lawyer squad trying to earn more money from them and operating roguely. I'm sure they'll get a slap on the wrist once management finds out.

Like saying not to use [insert personal favourite pop band name] by venues where fans would go for a concert.

...So is that why you never see the actual name of that "Professional DJ" on all these "Teenage Disco" posters in community centres?

They don't want to name the Playdate as the console, like the "Professional DJ" does not want his name bandied about.

I'll pass on a playdate then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    In terms of design I think it's great. Seems like it was inspired by Teenage Engineering's design style.
    Too rich for my blood but I'd definitely love a go!

I'm not sure on the design. I would imagine it would be difficult to hold the console and press buttons with your left hand while simultaneously using the crank with your right.

Either way it's far too expensive for me to give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,871 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think if any game asks you to use the d-pad, buttons and crank at the same time then it's already failed as a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,164 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So one of the Playdate (console) guys posted the original email he sent to the Playdate (event) organisers and... it's pretty awful and hyper-cringey. I actually think the faux-friendly approach is almost worse than a straight legal threat would have been, and can definitely see how the event organisers freaked out over it.

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1133369584663244802

On the plus side, Panic have apologised unambiguously, claim to have taken the criticism seriously and seem to be taking steps to make genuine amends with the event. Still, a stupid and arrogant self-own after (well, the email was sent before) what seemed to be a confident marketing launch. If you want to be taken seriously as an outsider, even in a commercial context, you need to act like it.

So one of the Playdate (console) guys posted the original email he sent to the Playdate (event) organisers and... it's pretty awful and hyper-cringey. I actually think the faux-friendly approach is almost worse than a straight legal threat would have been, and can definitely see how the event organisers freaked out over it.

https://twitter.com/cabel/status/1133369584663244802

On the plus side, Panic have apologised unambiguously, claim to have taken the criticism seriously and seem to be taking steps to make genuine amends with the event. Still, a stupid and arrogant self-own after (well, the email was sent before) what seemed to be a confident marketing launch. If you want to be taken seriously as an outsider, even in a commercial context, you need to act like it.

I think my face just inverted into itself I was cringing so hard.

• Advertisement

That email from the console makers it's so condensing it's unreal.

Jesus talk about hamfisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its kind of endemic to Indie studios to have that kind of non-confrontational contact style. Wasnt there a dev who had to apologise or resign recently and his goodbye letter was full of these kinds of self deprecating jokes and (asides in brackets) in every sentence; came off as very "cool dad" type stuff?

And the language: "our fancy-pants federally registered", "our dumb thing", "compensate for time and pain in the ass factor".....yeesh, I know its not meant to be a hyper formal letter but....

At least we know the Playdate(tm) is a "dumb thing"...and Im not dropping over €150 on a dumb thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

brevity wrote: »

That doesn't seem to imply what I'd like. I'm think open more in the vain of the old open source handhelds like the GP2X, Wiz and Caanoo.

doesn't augur well for the device being open to devs when they are trying hard to be gob****es and insular over their silly (and commonly used) name.

That email from the console makers it's so condensing it's unreal.

I know spelling might be tough for you but its spelt condescending

I know spelling might be tough for you but its spelt condescending

I know, I copped it later after I couldn't edit it anymore but cheers for a reply that's even more condescending than that original email...

brevity wrote: »

peddle and crank

I know, I copped it later after I couldn't edit it anymore but cheers for a reply that's even more condescending than that original email...

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Remember this yoke? They released an update today. The big news for me is that Lucas Pope is making a game for it.

I'm really looking forward to it. And launching with twice as many games as planned. Think there's going to be a lot of innovation on show

really shoe-horned Lucas Pope in there

"eh I've got nothing really to show here but erm anyways"

probably good timing to get it out asap before people start spending their pandemic savings on real-life stuff again other than over-priced neck-beard curio goods.

I'm definitely picking one up. Love handheld gaming and have an analogue Pocket on the way.

It reminds me of one of those $30 handheld consoles you get off wish or bangood and probably be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Did you order the pocket a while back? I only saw it recently and it looks great but seems sold out.

It sold out in about 20 seconds. I was veeeeeeeery lucky to get one.

• Advertisement

Got an order in. They had issues with countries outside the us but sorted itself after a few minutes. Hope it doesn't mean i miss the first shipment though.

Advertisement