Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and how to do it.

Options
  • 21-01-2015 5:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

in the next couple of months, I will be moving.

will be moving from a 2 bed apartment to a house. so don't have a terrible amount to move. for example : 2 couches, 2 tv's, double bed, kitchen table, 4 chairs, desk, swivel chair, book shelves, cot, couple of presses, dressing table, few boxes with clothes etc. bicycle and a few more small items.

I will only moving 5 miles away.

What is the cheapest/best way to do this :

1. Hire a transit van myself and try and get a friend or friends to help me do the moving ?

2. Get a moving company to do everything ?

3. Get 1 man and a van and me and him do the moving, may require multiple runs etc.

4. Get a big van/truck and 2 men to do the move ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Hi,

I moved a similar amount of stuff to a new house last year. Hired a van , the biggest van they had for 130 including fuel. Picked it up Saturday morning, dropped it back Sunday morning. Preferred the flexibility personally which is why I did it.

Jon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

jon1981 wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved a similar amount of stuff to a new house last year. Hired a van , the biggest van they had for 130 including fuel. Picked it up Saturday morning, dropped it back Sunday morning. Preferred the flexibility personally which is why I did it.

Jon

was that van bigger than a Ford transit ?

you must have had a busy 24 hours : )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Pack the important things yourself but get a moving company in. If you get a decent one, they know how to disassemble beds and sofas and put them back together and will add some urgency to the process. Otherwise you'll just faff about at one end of the other.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Pack the important things yourself but get a moving company in. If you get a decent one, they know how to disassemble beds and sofas and put them back together and will add some urgency to the process. Otherwise you'll just faff about at one end of the other.

yeah. that's what im kinda thinking. they will have all tge equipment and knowhow. trolleys, wheels etc

how much ball park would this cost ?

in all honesty with a moving company its probably half a days work.........im guessing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

was that van bigger than a Ford transit ?

you must have had a busy 24 hours : )

It was ! :)

Also I always wanted to drive a van !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

yeah. that's what im kinda thinking. they will have all tge equipment and knowhow. trolleys, wheels etc

how much ball park would this cost ?

in all honesty with a moving company its probably half a days work.........im guessing anyway.

The last two times we moved, we hired a man with a van (the company name is actually something like that, can't remember exactly). It was €150 for 90 minutes (minimum booking time) and two men to move about a 10-15 minute drive. We weren't moving furniture though, just lots of boxes, a TV and some loose stuff.

It too almost exactly the 90 minutes too.Loading everything from the house to the van took about half an hour, unloading everything from the van, along a path, up the lift and into the apartment took a long time.

Well worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

For the amount you have and the distance you are moving, just hire a van and do it yourself. It might take a couple of runs but should only take half a day. The bigger stuff is easy but all the smaller stuff like clothes, books, books, kitchen contents etc all have to be packed up. I've done three major moves, each time with twice as much as the previous and I managed it with a bit of help each time. You'll need to save every penny you can moving to a new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

will be moving from a 2 bed apartment to a house.

2 couches,
    double bed,
    kitchen table,
    book shelves,
    couple of presses,
    dressing table,
    Measure them, and check how many can be lifted from your apartment to the road nearby, and you'll have your answer on if you can do it yourself or not.

the_syco wrote: »
    Measure them, and check how many can be lifted from your apartment to the road nearby, and you'll have your answer on if you can do it yourself or not.

im being stupid here..........but i dont get ya on this and the road nearby and what that has to do with me doing it myself ?

markpb wrote: »
    The last two times we moved, we hired a man with a van (the company name is actually something like that, can't remember exactly). It was €150 for 90 minutes (minimum booking time) and two men to move about a 10-15 minute drive. We weren't moving furniture though, just lots of boxes, a TV and some loose stuff.

It too almost exactly the 90 minutes too.Loading everything from the house to the van took about half an hour, unloading everything from the van, along a path, up the lift and into the apartment took a long time.

Well worth it though.

thanks. so 100 euro an hour. saucy enough !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

http://www.vantasks.ie

Cormie is on boards, been around for years.

Ask for a quote and haggle a bit, you'll get a deal. Used him twice and was happy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    http://www.vantasks.ie

Cormie is on boards, been around for years.

Ask for a quote and haggle a bit, you'll get a deal. Used him twice and was happy

Thanks Mike, good to get a personal recommendation

What kind of a move had you and how much did it cost ? PM if you don't want it public

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I've moved a few times recently and worked as a mover.

Get a couple of quotes from movers/man with truck/luton van (you want a big one that limits the number of journeys to a maximum of 2 even though you're not moving far).
    Work out how much it would cost to do it yourself.
    Work out how long it will take you to do it compared to having movers. Double that number and decide whether you want your money or your time more.

im being stupid here..........but i dont get ya on this and the road nearby and what that has to do with me doing it myself ?
    Sorry, meant road outside, to get your stuff from the apartment to the van.

Sorry, meant road outside, to get your stuff from the apartment to the van.

still dont get ya : (

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The big thing is the packing - pack as much as you can in advance -(everything your not using daily) ..in stackable boxes or crates (banana boxes from the supermarket are grand- plastic stacking crates are better -if you've everything ready a lad with a truck will fly it - and less hassle than pulling and hauling with a hire van - (you've got to go pick it up - get someone to help load ect - more trips probably )
    If you can get hold of a roll of pallet
    wrap , then wrap every thing soft- cushions - mattress sofa ect- it'll save them from getting dirty (or damp ) on the trip -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

still dont get ya : (

I think that they're saying that if it's a long journey from your apartment to the van/truck that it may be a consideration when deciding whether to employ somebody to do the job.

Clearlier wrote: »
    I think that they're saying that if it's a long journey from your apartment to the van/truck that it may be a consideration when deciding whether to employ somebody to do the job.

ok, so im not being thick so, was wondering what he was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Thanks Mike, good to get a personal recommendation

What kind of a move had you and how much did it cost ? PM if you don't want it public

Also used vantasks.ie recently, great service and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gives me the collywobbles just thinking re any house move..Last time I got a man with a van for the bigger stuff and as I was to the new place to work nearby every week loaded the car with my garden stuff etc.I trade in plants etc For six weeks! It was around 80 miles. Glad you have someone recommended here.. Good luck.

• Advertisement

colm_c wrote: »
    Also used vantasks.ie recently, great service and price.

2 recommendations from vantasks, not bad :)

ok, so im not being thick so, was wondering what he was talking about
    If you got the couches in yourself, cool, but some couches can be big and fairly heavy (esp the nice wooden ones). Not all are very door friendly, and thus can be a cumbersome getting out of the apartment, down the stairs, and out the door. Doing it yourself when you haven't done it before can be hard, but getting someone who does it nearly weekly may be better. Likewise for the bed, kitchen table (esp if the leg height is more than the door width), and shelves.

=-=

Have had a few people I know use Vantasks.ie so I'll recommend them as well.

If you got the couches in yourself, cool, but some couches can be big and fairly heavy (esp the nice wooden ones). Not all are very door friendly, and thus can be a cumbersome getting out of the apartment, down the stairs, and out the door. Doing it yourself when you haven't done it before can be hard, but getting someone who does it nearly weekly may be better. Likewise for the bed, kitchen table (esp if the leg height is more than the door width), and shelves.

=-=

Have had a few people I know use Vantasks.ie so I'll recommend them as well.

have ya now. thanks.

vantasks seems good alright. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

If it is a big move with furniture to an empty place - rent a van with a tail lift and grab a buddy to help with the carrying. This can be driven on a regular license (but get a quick orientation first if you are unsure driving it).

http://www.vanrentals.ie/light_truck_tail_lift.html

Will handle the big stuff, couches, chairs, beds, fridges, allows you multiple trips (and side trip to ikea).

It costs a bit more - nearly 250 for two days - but having moved a number of times over the years, the tail lift is a godsend. Just drive slow and steady with it and careful on tree lined estate roads with the high sides!!

Advertisement