Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accurate & Grammatically Correct Irish Baby Names?

• 07-08-2011 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book or website that has an accurate list of authentic Irish baby names and their meanings/origins.

Many of the books and sites we have checked so far don't seem to be 100% accurate in terms of spelling, use of fadas etc.

All help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a book or website that has an accurate list of authentic Irish baby names and their meanings/origins.

Many of the books and sites we have checked so far don't seem to be 100% accurate in terms of spelling, use of fadas etc.

All help appreciated.

You could check most names in a book called An Sloinnteoir agus an tAinmneoir. It's the most authoratative resource for names as Gaeilge! I've a copy if you want to check a name or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the recommendation and offer Micilin.

I went ahead and ordered a copy for myself as this baby name process is going to be a long drawn out one! Plus it sounds like a useful reference book to have regardless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marundel

Not exactly tied to the OP, but related...

I am a member of a living history group called the Society for Creative Anachronism. Part of our play involves adopting names from various medieval timeframes and countries.

My daughter has come of age, and wishes to adopt her own persona within our club. She has chosen pre-15th century Ireland as the culture she wishes to emulate, and is looking for a documentable female Irish name with the pronunciation of (or close to) Ay-vin. We have found several different names with pronunciations of Ee-vin, Ee-veen, Ay-veen, and Ee-vain, but the closest we could come to Ay-vin was the boy's name Aodhfin.

Is there such a girl's name as would be pronounced Ay-vin in Irish Gaelic, and if so, what is the proper spelling?

Thank you for any replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

marundel wrote: »
    Not exactly tied to the OP, but related...

I am a member of a living history group called the Society for Creative Anachronism. Part of our play involves adopting names from various medieval timeframes and countries.

My daughter has come of age, and wishes to adopt her own persona within our club. She has chosen pre-15th century Ireland as the culture she wishes to emulate, and is looking for a documentable female Irish name with the pronunciation of (or close to) Ay-vin. We have found several different names with pronunciations of Ee-vin, Ee-veen, Ay-veen, and Ee-vain, but the closest we could come to Ay-vin was the boy's name Aodhfin.

Is there such a girl's name as would be pronounced Ay-vin in Irish Gaelic, and if so, what is the proper spelling?

Thank you for any replies.

These two are the closest I can think of:
    Éabha usually pronounced as AY-A-VA.
    Aoibheann usually pronounced as EVEN.

Advertisement