Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth moving a stove to new property

• 11-12-2018 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am currently living in a semi detached house and we installed a Henley stove in the fireplace a number of years ago. We didn't use the stove all that much after our daughter came along three years ago, but having it installed has cut down drafts from the chimney.

We have now bought a new dormer house that has an open fireplace and I'm trying to figure out would it be worth taking the stove out and installing at our new property, or should I leave it in the hopes having the stove in the old house would be a good selling feature.

Stove and installation was less than 600euro and if I was to install in the new house, it would cost around 120euro for parts and installation.

henley-thames-4.5_01.jpg

What would be the opinion here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You would need to make it clear that it is being removed if not already gone for viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

L1011 wrote: »
    You would need to make it clear that it is being removed if not already gone for viewings.

We haven't listed the old property yet as we are just giving it a lick of paint and moving the last few things out of it.

I want to made a decision on leaving it or not before I list the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If someone has already told you that your stove will fit in the new house and will only cost €120, then I don't see why you wouldn't tbh. Does that fitting include chimney lining and everything though or have they literally quoted you for slotting it in place and hooking it up?

If there is work a purchaser needs to do to use the fireplace, then that will be a factor. But otherwise I doubt it'll be an issue.

Looking around boards, for some reason people seem a bit mixed on stoves; some people have said they've pulled theirs out and put back in an open fireplace, which I cannot understand at all!

seamus wrote: »
    If someone has already told you that your stove will fit in the new house and will only cost €120, then I don't see why you wouldn't tbh. Does that fitting include chimney lining and everything though or have they literally quoted you for slotting it in place and hooking it up?

My mistake, the €120 is for the flu lining etc and then €40 to fit, so €160 in total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Make sure that the stove you have has the right output for the new room- it would be a nuisance to move it and then discover that it wouldn’t throw out enough heat. Make sure the hearth and fireplace in the new property would suit your current stove too, in line with fire regulations.

• Advertisement

jlm29 wrote: »
    Make sure that the stove you have has the right output for the new room- it would be a nuisance to move it and then discover that it wouldn’t throw out enough heat. Make sure the hearth and fireplace in the new property would suit your current stove too, in line with fire regulations.

New sitting room is only slightly bigger so the 4.5KW is fine. I haven't checked the hearth yet if it's suitable, I will do so later tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I wouldn't bother. Id leave it as is. You're basically bringing a large thing you dont really use to your new place.

You probably wont use it at your new place and are now lumped with it, having to design your living space around it.. so much for a new beginnings and a clean slate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

We didn't use the stove all that much after our daughter came along three years ago, but having it installed has cut down drafts from the chimney.

If this is the main benefit you want from it, a chimney balloon would be easier and cheaper!

https://www.woodies.ie/de-vielle-medium-chimney-balloon-1143723

wench wrote: »
    If this is the main benefit you want from it, a chimney balloon would be easier and cheaper!

https://www.woodies.ie/de-vielle-medium-chimney-balloon-1143723

That's a good idea actually. I'll have to look into that.

Advertisement