Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sudden total shutdown of laptop...cannot restart.

• 15-02-2020 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭

I was using a Lenovo ideapad 330s, and as my son wanted to do some video recording of his gaming to make a video, we had open a game on Steam, also the OBS screen recording software, which we had just downloaded.

We had just finished making a sample video (still working out how OBS works), when suddenly the laptop instantly went dead.

I left it for an hour in case overheating was the issue (I could hear the fan activating while we had both OBS and Steam open), but more than an hour later, it is still totally dead. Trying to turn it on does nothing.

Any insight or suggestions for me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is there power going to it?
    Is there a power light on the laptop?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Could be physical damage due to a component failure or desoldering. It’s a major issue with lead free solders.

How comfortable are you poking about inside with a multimeter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Remove the battery, and while plugged in try holding the power button for 15 seconds, then release and press it again to power on.

Try the same thing with the battery in, and no power connected.

Failing both of those, press the NOVO button (requires a paperclip)

https://support.lenovo.com/fr/en/solutions/ht062552

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Connected to power by AC adapter, but no lights or power anywhere.

Not comfortable at all with poking around inside it.

I will try to remove battery and power up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

osarusan wrote: »
    Connected to power by AC adapter, but no lights or power anywhere.

Not comfortable at all with poking around inside it.

I will try to remove battery and power up.

Remove AC power, remove battery. Replace battery and try power it on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I bought a Lenovo 330 last year and I do not like it.

Ok, opened up the back and the battery looks like it is permanently connected by a series of wires, I cannot see any way to disconnect them.

Also tried NOVO with paper clip, but it did nothing.

EDIT: saw how to disconnect battery and did so, tried it with AC connected but no battery, then tried it with battery reconnected but no AC...nothing happened at any stage.

Completely dead still.

Any advice on likely causes and cost to repair is welcome.

Better off just buying a new one?

Ok, opened up the back and the battery looks like it is permanently connected by a series of wires, I cannot see any way to disconnect them.

Looks just like this:

https://images.app.goo.gl/iy8Jbw9dRiwtQoCHA

From this part of the video, carefully lift the clip (small black part, no force required) to remove cable, and then unscrew the screws and remove battery.
    https://youtu.be/QFzmeq4XWIk?t=79

Suckit wrote: »
    From this part of the video, carefully lift the clip (small black part, no force required) to remove cable, and then unscrew the screws and remove battery.
    https://youtu.be/QFzmeq4XWIk?t=79
    Thanks, actually managed to remove it, tried the instruction on both AC power only and, after reinstalling battery, battery power only, but nothing happened.

Tried NOVO with paper clip also, but nothing happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

EDIT: saw how to disconnect battery and did so, tried it with AC connected but no battery, then tried it with battery reconnected but no AC...nothing happened at any stage.

Completely dead still.

Any advice on likely causes and cost to repair is welcome.

Better off just buying a new one?
    You could go to a repair shop and tell them your woes. Just ask them to look rather than fix it and take that hit. You'll still have the hard drive you can pull out of it.
    A new one might be the simplest solution.
    BTW how old is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Go around the back of it and turn it on from that position.

Have you tried a different power supply? Unlikely that you have one, but just in case the issue is with the one that you do have.
    (Unlikely also that the battery would be completely dead, but worth checking)

Edited

Also, with no power or battery attached, hold the power button for 30 seconds, then attach them and try to power on.

It was plugged in with a full battery when it suddenly died. So I don't think power in is an issue. But will check, we have another laptop (which I'm using now) that might be usable as a different power supply.

Will probably take it to a repair shop for diagnosis, and unless it's something reasonably cheap, will likely end up just getting a new one.

14 months old, so out of warranty.

It was plugged in with a full battery when it suddenly died. So I don't think power in is an issue. But will check, we have another laptop (which I'm using now) that might be usable as a different power supply.

Will probably take it to a repair shop for diagnosis, and unless it's something reasonably cheap, will likely end up just getting a new one.

14 months old, so out of warranty.

It's not out of warranty
    Don't bring it to a repair shop yet, as they may void the warranty. Put the back cover back on.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm
    EU law also stipulates that you must give the consumer a minimum 2-year guarantee (legal guarantee) as a protection against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised. In some countries national law may require you to provide longer guarantees.

Add to that, if it had an inherent fault (if it was always going to suddenly stop powering on in this case) the warranty is up to 6 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Was there a power surge by any chance as if it was plugged in that could explain it

Was there a power surge by any chance as if it was plugged in that could explain it
    I don't know how I would recognise that if it had happened.

It's not out of warranty
    Don't bring it to a repair shop yet, as they may void the warranty. Put the back cover back on.
    https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

Add to that, if it had an inherent fault (if it was always going to suddenly stop powering on in this case) the warranty is up to 6 years.

Thanks, in communication with Lenovo UK and Ireland now.

Thanks, in communication with Lenovo UK and Ireland now.

I think the store you bought it from are the ones you need to go to.

you may double check on the consumer rights forum.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

playing a game and running screen-recording software on this type of laptop would have put it at 100% in all respects.

sounds like some type of hardware failure.

chances are that it may not be economical to get it fixed yourself if it's something like a motherboard issue

try to get the 2 year warranty thing but some retailers may did their heels in on this.

Yep, some retailers may dig their heels in for sure (pretty sure currys/pcworld are one), but it should be an easy enough fight with the law on your side. Plenty of similar ones in the consumer issues sub-forum, and online.
    If they did dig their heels in, I would 100% contest it.

You may want to back up your hard drive first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Failure is almost certainly related to heat. My guess is that the solder of a key component failed due to mechanical stresses created by running the device at max for a while. Did the screen flicker as it died?

Mobo probably only needs a dab of solder in the right place to get it going again. Problem is finding the right place.

If it's completely dead, and repair is uneconomic and have nothing to lose, then performing a solder reflow might get it going again. I successfully rescued a Sony laptop previously using that method.

Aside from all this, can anybody advise me on how to recover/transfer all data on the SSD to a new drive before I try and get it repaired/replaced?

Bear in mind you are talking to somebody pretty illiterate in such things.

When I removed the cover at the back of the laptop, I could see the SSD right in front of me, so physically removing it from the laptop shouln't be too difficult, but what comes next? Do I need to install it into another laptop, or connect it some other way, or what?

Aside from all this, can anybody advise me on how to recover/transfer all data on the SSD to a new drive before I try and get it repaired/replaced?

Bear in mind you are talking to somebody pretty illiterate in such things.

When I removed the cover at the back of the laptop, I could see the SSD right in front of me, so physically removing it from the laptop shouln't be too difficult, but what comes next? Do I need to install it into another laptop, or connect it some other way, or what?
    You could buy a dock or a SATA to USB adaptor which is probably easiest - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sata+to+usb&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
    Depending on the size of the backup, you may need an external hard drive or a large USB key, and copy the files to that.
    Use something like Unstoppable Copier or if you want to backup everything and are unsure where some files are DriveImage XML or Robocopy which is less user friendly but a good option. There are plenty of programs to do it. Unstoppable Copier is very easy to use and fast.

A SATA to USB adaptor will allow me to access the SSD simply by connecting it to another device through the USB port? The other device will treat it as any external storage like a USB stick?

Then just transfer everything to the other device / to a USB stick?

A SATA to USB adaptor will allow me to access the SSD simply by connecting it to another device through the USB port? The other device will treat it as any external storage like a USB stick?

Then just transfer everything to the other device / to a USB stick?
    Yep, it will treat it like an external device.

Yep, it will treat it like an external device.

Bought the cable and managed to get all the stuff I wanted off the old SSD, then put it back in, screwed it all shut, and will pretend like nothing ever happened. Hopefully Argos will be willing to offer something.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.

Bought the cable and managed to get all the stuff I wanted off the old SSD, then put it back in, screwed it all shut, and will pretend like nothing ever happened. Hopefully Argos will be willing to offer something.

Thanks for all the help, really appreciate it.
    In my experience (2 items) Argos are excellent for stuff under warranty.

First was years ago, an MP3 player that stopped working after a week, the other was a TV that was almost two years old and wouldn't power on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Be firm, and stands for ground when you go in. Know you facts (e.g. being outside a 1 year warranty means nothing).

By all accounts here, they should treat you properly.

Not an expert, but could it be something simple like a blown fuse in the power supply wiring?

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement