Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER report advice needed

Options
  • 11-02-2020 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Ive just had a BER assesment done on my house, whereby the assessor has issued a certifcation of C1 howver they mentioned in the accompanying report that the heating controls on the house could be improved. I have had installed for the last year or more A climote on a zoned system, with individual thermostats on upstairs and downstairs and another for water. What should I do to improve that?

I'm asking because the home next door which is part of the same build (timber framed terraced houses built 2007) sold two years ago with a C1 rating also, this was prior to any work being carried out, with no upgraded heating controls, additionally they had an open fire, ive a insert stove in mine. Surley there would be a variance bewteen the two houses?

Any advice? thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

did the assessor ask you any questions in regard to the zoned system?
    such as can you heat the cylinder separate from the rads, or can you program each zone for different temperatures, at different times, for 7 days in advance?

do you have a stat on your cylinder? (not on the pipes leading from it)

the stove should make a good bit of difference to be honest.

its difficult to compare with your neighbour, unless all situations are exactly the same. for example,. is your neighbour surrounded by houses? is your house an 'end of row' type? did your neighbor increase insulation in attic? change windows? change boiler? etc

there are many reasons why the heating controls upgrade might not get you from just inside a C1 rating to out of it.
    though, taking everything to be equal, the zoned time and temp controls plus the stove should be enough to make more than 25 kwh/m2/yr difference at a C1 level

If your not happy, contact the assessor and go through the individual aspects of your build to make sure they have included them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

OP, what was the purpose of getting the BER assessment done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feckthatanyway

MicktheMan wrote: »
    OP, what was the purpose of getting the BER assessment done?

We are going to sell the property. Next door had exact same windows etc as ourselves. However we are end of terrace but relatively sheltered at that.

Yeah I did mention to them about the zones being timed etc. and you are correct the thermostat is on piping not on tank itself. So I would need to have one fitted and get another assessment done? Would having the thermostat add much of a difference I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Feckthatanyway

Additional : next door had made no changes to original property. Nothing added.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,085 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

We are going to sell the property. Next door had exact same windows etc as ourselves. However we are end of terrace but relatively sheltered at that.

Yeah I did mention to them about the zones being timed etc. and you are correct the thermostat is on piping not on tank itself. So I would need to have one fitted and get another assessment done? Would having the thermostat add much of a difference I wonder?

ask your assessor, they would have all the figures in front and could tell with with a few clicks what difference it would make.

just to clarify for you, if the stat is not on the cylinder, then you have no "boiler interlock" and that affects your boilers efficiency by 5%

• Advertisement
Advertisement