Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back up laptop

• 23-02-2020 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

My mam has an old laptop it does her fine , but it took a while , for it to start up , she is afraid of losing some of her documents etc if it was to stop working altogether , what’s the hardiest way to do this ( ideally without a USB key / to cloud ? ) any advice appreciated

Thank you

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are going to backup, you really can't do it without either a USB or the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

What's the issue with the USB - does the computer not have a USB port?

If it does have a USB port, just buy an external HDD (they are not very expensive, and come up on bargain alerts often enough). Depending on what version of windows you are running (I assume it's windows), just click on the start menu/windows icon and type 'backup' and, 'backup settings' should be one of first things that comes up. Plug in the HDD and windows will do the rest.

You just need to do this every few weeks - windows will prompt you to do it. Just plug in the hdd and click on the prompt and it will back everything up for you.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Without an external drive (usb) or the cloud, you're really restricting yourself.

I would recommend using OneDrive, from Microsoft. You get some free space with it, and you can set it to back up her documents folder at all times.

You could manually back up her stuff onto a usb drive. You could have her email the documents to herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

MarkR wrote: »
    Without an external drive (usb) or the cloud, you're really restricting yourself.

I would recommend using OneDrive, from Microsoft. You get some free space with it, and you can set it to back up her documents folder at all times.

You could manually back up her stuff onto a usb drive. You could have her email the documents to herself.

Yap one drive will do the trick ... I think , we now have another problem ! She tells me this evening the screen is not working ! But thinks laptop is booting up.
    I’m thinking , use my laptop screen hook up to her one with a hmdi maybe ... did it years ago ... was hoping if it was just the screen and her laptop is booting I could hopefully get her pics/ docs to one drive ... seeing what I’m at On her laptop through my laptop screen ...

Can anyone say what settings to use on a windows laptop to get a “ second “ screen going ?

Long shot .. you never know ... thks

• Site Banned Posts: 26 shadydestroyer

Yap one drive will do the trick ... I think , we now have another problem ! She tells me this evening the screen is not working ! But thinks laptop is booting up.
    I’m thinking , use my laptop screen hook up to her one with a hmdi maybe ... did it years ago ... was hoping if it was just the screen and her laptop is booting I could hopefully get her pics/ docs to one drive ... seeing what I’m at On her laptop through my laptop screen ...

Can anyone say what settings to use on a windows laptop to get a “ second “ screen going ?

Long shot .. you never know ... thks

Its usually FN key and one of the F1-F12 function keys. OneCloud works very well, If she has a ton of stuff a 64GB USB are less than 20 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Windows button and p button will bring up external display options.

Advertisement