Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I go for a new BER certificate?

• 02-01-2020 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

Actual BER rating is C3, but in the last 2 years I've done some small upgrades to my house(end of terrace 3 bed).

1. Triple glazed windows(before double glazed) except attic room where the velux window is still double glazed
    2. Above attic room insulation upgraded to 30cm from 10cm
    3. fully zoned my heating system with 1 hot water zone + 3 heating zones(1 on each floor) with wireless programmable thermostats
    4. changed front and back door with more efficient ones
    5. installed a wood burning stove in the existing open fireplace.
    6. all light are LED

Do you think is worth updating my BER certificate?
    What would the cost be, and how much the rating will increase?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

How old is the boiler?

Are you planning on selling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

- gas boiler, same age as the house(2003)
    - not selling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No benefit unless selling or renting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

godtabh wrote: »
    No benefit unless selling or renting

...or going for one of those Green mortgage rates (if there's an active mortgage)

A green mortgage might be a option actually.

Except going for a green mortgage there is no benefit.

Now for the second part of the question, what would be the BER increase with above upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

I went from a D1 to a B2 with pretty much the same works as you. I also had a new gas boiler installed and also a timber frame extension. The BER Cert cost €170 5 years ago, needed it done to claim SEAI grants at the time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

17 year old boiler.. Wait until it goes or you plan on changing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

van_beano wrote: »
    I went from a D1 to a B2 with pretty much the same works as you. I also had a new gas boiler installed and also a timber frame extension. The BER Cert cost €170 5 years ago, needed it done to claim SEAI grants at the time.

I went from D1 to B2 with the same as you.

'Except i got a new boiler installed'

So not the same at all, The new boiler is a huge leap in the BER.

As for the OP, there is zero need to do it at all its a waste of money if you are just doing it for curiosity sake. Wait until you are taking the leap on selling the house or new boiler or grant work they will throw it in with the install(alot of the time)

It was just a curiosity, not really intending on paying for it now.
    Maybe in 2 years when my mortgage fixed rate expires I could apply for the "green mortgage" deals.

Also the boiler upgrade won't happen soon. Current boiler is running just fine not worth upgrading for 10% extra efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

serox_21 wrote: »
    It was just a curiosity, not really intending on paying for it now.
    Maybe in 2 years when my mortgage fixed rate expires I could apply for the "green mortgage" deals.

Also the boiler upgrade won't happen soon. Current boiler is running just fine not worth upgrading for 10% extra efficiency.

You know that rate is available from various other banks. The green deal from AIB is a gimmick of marketing team..

• Advertisement
Advertisement