Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between AGI and APG

Options
  • 07-06-2015 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Now I understand it! A few weeks ago I was asking here about the APGI thinking it was a group you just paid money to join. Now I see from the blog on Irish Genealogy News on Tuesday 2nd June that I had the wrong organisation. The blog explains that what was the APGI is now AGI Accredited Genealogists Ireland because you have to apply for accreditation with them. The group I thought was the APGI is APG. So it seems I can pay to join APG but I have to work toward joining AGI. I wonder is it worthwhile to join APG afterall? Irish Genealogy News says there was "a good bit of freeloading" because of the confusion. If joining APG was to get the reputation of the APGI that's all over now. Is there any other reason to join APG can anyone tell me? Don't get me wrong. I didn't want to freeload but now that it's pointed out to me maybe I was looking for the easy option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I was a member for 3 years and think the following are good reasons to join:
    It provides the professional researcher with access to career development and industry analysis via meetings organized in your area with other members.

It is US-centric and many of the large archive/library institutions over here refer patrons to APG when they inquire about wanting to hire professional researchers. If your are targeting clients in the US then it's useful to be a member.

APG offers resolution for unhappy clients, so this is something a professional researcher can offer to their prospective and current clients as a type of peace of mind before they pay for your services.

APG advocates and lobbies on behalf of genealogists when, for example, legislation is being considered that might impact access to BMD records.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FTGE4

Does anyone know why the GSI and Eneclann don't like the AGI? I saw Eneclann's newletter and it was pretty clear they don't approve of them. And GSI questions their name. Quite confusing but the one thing that's clear is they have a grudge. Is the AGI a good organisation to be associated with? I was thinking of applying for affiliate membership.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

What did the GSI say? I went on their website but couldn't find the mention from the Eneclann newsletter.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FTGE4

It was in the Genie Gazette June edition page 2

Advertisement