Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Famous Trees

Options
  • 27-01-2012 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

The US are preparing for another presidential election soon. Lurking in the shadows are genealogists preparing the family trees of the hopefuls, especially if there is any hint of Irish roots. I just wondered why no-one ever bothers to research family trees for our own Irish presidents and politicians. If they do I've never heard of it. If its ok to do it for the American president, wouldn't it be just as ok to do it for the Irish president/politicians. Often wondered if the presidents of the US are happy with it being done, or even interested, until the tree is pushed under their noses and an invitation to travel here is issued, The plus side for us of course is all the tourism we get from such visits. Is it all just about money, or is there really any historical interest? Anyone else interested in the family histories of our own presidents and politicians?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I think until recently, we knew a lot about our presidents origins - there's any number of biographies of the early presidents. I know of at least one genealogist who did work on De Valera's father because of the vagueness of the story - which turned out very interesting.

For Americans, it is all about the money. Megan Smolenyak, the lady who discovered Obama's Irish ancestors, is like the Oprah of the genealogy world. From her twitter stream, it looks like she only researches famous people now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Definitely right about Smolenyak, but she found a niche area and good luck to her. I'm currently trying to beat her to it with a theory I have about who will be US President in 2016!

I think a few more reasons that makes it popular for US politicans is to be able to identify with an ethnic voting block and since most of them are WASP's they usually have some famous ancestors.

Some of you guys and gals who are really into your genealogy should focus on younger politicans who might become future party leaders, someone like Leo Varadkar maybe.

Half of them would probably think they are '100% Irish Catholic' etc..and might be surprised to find some other ancestors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for the replies. Yes I agree, Leo Varadkar would be one tree worth some research and also another interesting name Ivana Bacik. Did no-one ever question de Valera's hazy background back in the rebellion days I wonder? With his following I suppose it wouldn't have mattered though. Anyway, it looks like the future will bring some interesting work for all you professional genealogists. I look forward to reading the results some time. :)

(“there's any number of biographies of the early presidents” = Pinkypinky)
    What about more recent presidents then?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

I would seriously love to solve the whole thing about Dev's father. I don't live too far from the Church where the marriage/baptism was supposed to have happened.

I kinda started on it a few months ago but it's on the back burner for now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm away this weekend but remind me and I will pm you about what I know.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement