Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming lessons - Can swim already but badly

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As title says I can swim already but i'm not great. My technique is very poor. I learned to swim abotu 15 years ago. I'd love to go some lessons to become a stronger swimmer. Any ideas of any such adult lessons around Dublin (dundrum area preferably). I don't want to do beginner lessons.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Glenalbyn pool in Stillorgan does lessons on a Monday night (8-9pm), which caters for a range of levels. If you can swim 4-6 widths comfortably, that would put you in the top class. After that you'd have to look at the masters: http://www.glenalbynmasters.com/

I would be in the same boat as you, being able to swim, but rather poorly. Having attended 3 or 4 of the 8 week terms, my swimming is much improved. Still not as good as I would like to be, but still making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

I was in exactly the same boat as yourself and started private lessons with an instructor in Jackie Skelly's in Nutgrove. Didn't want to waste my time with a class seeing as I already knew how to swim and wanted someone to pay proper attention to what I was doing, point out what I was doing wrong and tell me how to fix it. I didn't want to be splashing about in a pool for an hour with someone taking an occasional glance at me.

It was going very well until the management of Jackie Skelly's decided to get greedy and changed how they did the swimming lessons - by upping the prices while at the same time lowering the cut the instructors get so I think they all left! So my swimming lesson is no more so I'm on the look out for new ones.

Incredibly bad management out of Jackie Skelly's if you ask me. Hopefully they'll revert to the old model once they see how it backfires.

I'm a member in Westwood but they charge €60 euro for a half hour private class, which is just, like the rest of their prices, crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JJia

Dapos wrote: »
    Hi,

As title says I can swim already but i'm not great. My technique is very poor. I learned to swim abotu 15 years ago. I'd love to go some lessons to become a stronger swimmer. Any ideas of any such adult lessons around Dublin (dundrum area preferably). I don't want to do beginner lessons.

Any help appreciated.

I am based in Dundrum area, maybe I could help you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭ooter

apologies for hijacking the thread but i'd be in a similar position,i can swim and stay afloat in the water but my breathing technique is terrible.i never had any lessons.
    i basically just do the doggy paddle up and down the pool with my head sticking out of the water at all times as it's the only stroke i'm comfortable with.the most lengths i've done so far is 20 lengths of a 25m pool with a few breathers in between and i was absolutely shattered after it.i did 5 lengths,4,3,2,1 and then another 5.
    i suppose i'm still getting a good workout but i'd love to be able to swim properly.i was watching a girl yesterday (not in a pervy way) and she was gliding through the water,doing a legth in about 12 strokes.it looked so effortless and i was so jealous..:D
    i've always wanted to do a triatlon,the run and cycle wouldn't be a problem but the swim would be a BIG problem.:(
    could anyone recommend a good technique class/private instructor in dublin,preferably central dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 max power 18

Hi ooter
    I am a qualified assistant swim teacher working toward my final exams. I also teach life saving!!I did competitive swimming last year so am still pretty good.
    I would be willing to give you a few private lessons at a competive price.
    Pm for further info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Hi ooter
    I am a qualified assistant swim teacher working toward my final exams. I also teach life saving!!I did competitive swimming last year so am still pretty good.
    I would be willing to give you a few private lessons at a competive price.
    Pm for further info

Plus one here folks. I'm living in same area too and I have the same probs. Can swim ok but my breathing and technique is all wrong. I've just done a few lengths of the pool in the hotel I'm staying in and came out and said to meself " I can do better . . . I must check out boards.ie to see if there is anything there on adult swimming lessons." The new pool up in Meadowbrook (Ballinteer) is prob the closest public pool to me. Jackie Skelly's is closer but I'm not a member.

What do we need to do to make this happen folks??

• Registered Users Posts: 11 lizdell

Hi guys,

I'm a fully qualified swimming instructor and lifeguard, with quite a good few years experience. I was also a competitive swimmer from the age of 7-18.

I mainly teach in the Mespil Pool, Dublin 4 - www.mespilpool.com

They have adult lessons at 8pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, ranging from total beginners to improvers. The improvers class are people who can swim, know the basics but need proper stroke correction (especially breathing on frontcrawl). We also work on endurance, fitness, diving and treading water. The classes are small and never too packed, so you will get a lot of attention.

I also teach private lessons to total begginers up to people training for triathlons.

PM if you are interested in private lessons

• Registered Users Posts: 22 zool1974

I have been to the Mespil Pool and have received lessons from Liz, and i was shocked at how quickly i got over my fear. She is very very good with nervous people in the pool and i would highly recommend her for anyone with a fear of the water, trust me, if i can get over it, anyone can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

lizdell wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm a fully qualified swimming instructor and lifeguard, with quite a good few years experience. I was also a competitive swimmer from the age of 7-18.

They have adult lessons at 8pm on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, ranging from total beginners to improvers. The improvers class are people who can swim, know the basics but need proper stroke correction (especially breathing on frontcrawl). We also work on endurance, fitness, diving and treading water. The classes are small and never too packed, so you will get a lot of attention.

I also teach private lessons to total begginers up to people training for triathlons.

how much do you charge for private lessons.
    I can swim but am having problems breathing on the front crawl.
    My whole swimstroke probably needs improving..
    Liam

@ Zool - Thank you!! Glad I helped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Excellent, I have been looking for somewhere to learn how to swim for ages.

I will contact the Mespil Pool, as I get there pretty easily from the LUAS, coming in from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Alan_77

Hi,
    I'm looking for 1 to 1 lessons. I'm pretty much a beginner. Ideally on the northside. Can anyone advise of anyone who can provide lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

I could swim but badly as well, I wanted to learn the front crawl, So I got lessons, the instructor was pretty useless told me I was perfect after one lesson and that he could not do much more for me.

The guy could barely swim the length of the pool. I then got lessons of a swimming club and I learned alot.

You need to get a proper coach who can teach you, not someone who just went and did a course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Hi

I am also a beginner and really want to get lessons, I think 1 on 1 lessons would improve me quicker. My goal is to complete some triathlons next year

I am on the Northside and a member of total fitness at Clare hall.

Anyone have lessons there or know of any good instructors?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Hi Kilns,

AFAIK you have to arrange 1to1 lessons with the total fitness swim instructors through the club itself. Ask for Tina Kilbride the swim coordinator in Clare Hall & she should sort it for you! If you're not getting any joy I work out of Portmarnock Sports & Leisure Centre, mainly weekends but am flexibile with my time! If you're interested send me a PM for more details.

Cheers,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Thanks Dave,

I will check it out with her if not I will give you a shout

Do you have any idea how much 1 on 1's on average cost per lesson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

TBH I have no idea what way they price their private lessons in Clare Hall.
    The PSLC set our prices (minimum but every1 AFAIK sticks to that price)at €20 per 30 minute session. Prices vary depending on where you go but from what Ive seen don't go under €20, if they did they'd be undercutting group/class swimming lessons to an extent.

Hope this helps,
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

lizdell wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hi, just wondering do you need to be a member of the Mespil Pool in order to take group or 1-1 lessons?

Thanks

Peadar_85 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering do you need to be a member of the Mespil Pool in order to take group or 1-1 lessons?

Thanks

Hi Peadar,

Anyone can take part in the group or private lessons, you can also swim there for a drop in rate of 7.50. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wrightway2swim

Hi guys,

I currently teach 500 people to swim young and old of all levels!i am based in north county Dublin,please feel free to email me and ill help solve ur every problem with swim technique or help ur fear of water!the hardest step is deciding to do it!thanks Phil wrightway2swim@hotmail.co.uk

• Advertisement
Advertisement