Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport application operations suspended

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I just don't understand how the DFA is getting away with keeping the passport office closed.

Sure on this basis they could stay closed all summer?

They could have one person on their own processing documents etc. so their position on social distancing is nonsense. It's just an excuse to block people from travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I just don't understand how the DFA is getting away with keeping the passport office closed.

Sure on this basis they could stay closed all summer?

They could have one person on their own processing documents etc. so their position on social distancing is nonsense. It's just an excuse to block people from travelling.

They could at least do applications from Ireland first and do the Brexit ones next month or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rf1980

Renewed my passport online last Sunday. Received new passport in the post on Friday. Still to receive my passport card.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

rf1980 wrote: »
    Renewed my passport online last Sunday. Received new passport in the post on Friday. Still to receive my passport card.

I have no idea how some people are getting them & others aren’t. Mine was a simple renewal, the money left my bank account on March 3rd & I haven’t heard anything since other than that it is in process when I try to track it, with the estimated delivery date of March 15th. If there was an email address to contact or number to ring it would help to put peoples mind’s at ease at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

DiscoStew wrote: »
    I have no idea how some people are getting them & others aren’t. Mine was a simple renewal, the money left my bank account on March 3rd & I haven’t heard anything since other than that it is in process when I try to track it, with the estimated delivery date of March 15th. If there was an email address to contact or number to ring it would help to put peoples mind’s at ease at least.

Same in this house. Wife renewed just a few weeks before Christmas. Money taken immediately from card and still no passport. Disgraceful service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

My renewal passport arrived 3 days after submitting online last week. Fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Applied online Tuesday, despatched yesterday, should be here tomorrow, passport card being printed today to arrive later.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Applied online Tuesday, despatched yesterday, should be here tomorrow, passport card being printed today to arrive later.

Incredible.
    Passport card will be default show "Printing" with current date.
    Mine has been "Printing" since "Jan 31st" with the date updating everytime I track the request - passport book was delivered within 4 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

talla wrote: »
    Passport card will be default show "Printing" with current date.
    Mine has been "Printing" since "Jan 31st" with the date updating everytime I track the request - passport book was delivered within 4 days.

I don't mind that, I got the actual passport yesterday, that's good enough for me for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

talla wrote: »
    Anyway, I applied for the passport card at the same time, there has been no progress on that yet.

Same. Applied for passport on 04/01/2021 and got it in days. The cards still shows as printing over 3 months later

Nevermind. The passport book got me to tenerife so all's good :D

Ps didnt mean to hit the thumbs down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

slightly off topic, but when is the government actually planning to officially declare a move to "level 4" or is the plan to keep level 5 with increasing modifications for the rest of the year or beyond, going from level 5- to level 5---- (minus, minus, minus, minus)

The press releases and soundbites from politicans are wishy washy with just specific relaxation measures mentioned and it seems the only people following the levels are the passport office, in order to avoid having to process passports.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,002 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

slightly off topic, but when is the government actually planning to officially declare a move to "level 4" or is the plan to keep level 5 with increasing modifications for the rest of the year or beyond, going from level 5- to level 5---- (minus, minus, minus, minus)

The press releases and soundbites from politicans are wishy washy with just specific relaxation measures mentioned and it seems the only people following the levels are the passport office, in order to avoid having to process passports.

None of us can know the answer to that. And the passport office are producing passports

Caranica wrote: »
    None of us can know the answer to that. And the passport office are producing passports
    thanks. I didnt miss any announcement then so .

We need to make a kids application so cant get around the paper form requirement unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

thanks. I didnt miss any announcement then so .

We need to make a kids application so cant get around the paper form requirement unfortunately.

I’ve been trying to establish this too. It seems level 5 is being amended, so we could have outdoor dining etc but still be called level 5! It makes no sense but until they call it level 4 the passport office won’t process the ones with supporting documents. There was a number of parliamentary questions being put forward by various TDs on the matter but I don’t know if they were asked about answered. When the announcement comes next week about the restrictions in May and June I think we will know.

The matter was indeed mentioned in the dail yesterday
    The backlog of 92,000 applications in the passport system will be cleared within six to eight weeks once level 5 restrictions are eased, the Dáil has been told.

Two thirds of the applications were for renewals, he said, adding that during the current restrictions, Passport Office officials issued 40,000 passports, 3,000 of which were in response to urgent requests.

He said Passport Office staff had been involved in assisting the HSE with contact tracing and the Department of Social Protection with Covid benefits.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/backlog-of-92-000-passport-applications-in-system-d%C3%A1il-hears-1.4545180

so, 6 to 8 weeks, from the moment "level 5" is lifted in name.
    If thats the end of May start of June, you are looking at getting a childs passport just before or in August. If its the end of June or start of July, it could be September and the kids are back in school by the time it comes in the post.

Looking at the plan with the levels, you can do more in level 5 (minus) with the restrictions than level 4 - anyhow, it's a joke but what can you do.

the latest
    Mr Coveney said a resumption of some passport processing will not happen until the declaration of Level 4, while full services will be dependent on a declaration of Level 3.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/anxious-wait-for-passports-once-eu-travel-is-allowed-as-backlog-hits-89000-40359765.html

the cynical part of you would think they were deliberately looking to obstruct foreign travel.
    That could never possibly be the case for the most european of countries, oh hang on, maybe we have seen this strategy before ......
    Coalition wanted to shut out travel for tourist season with jab passport delay

The Government tried to block attempts to open up foreign travel during the summer tourist season.
    The EU is bringing in vaccine passports to allow people to travel once they have had the Covid-19 jab.
    But the Government sought to delay its introduction until after the summer, despite ministers publicly hailing the move.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/coalition-wanted-to-shut-out-travel-for-tourist-season-with-jab-passport-delay-40322401.html

the cynical part of you would think they were deliberately looking to obstruct foreign travel.

How dare you accused lying, scumbag politicians of... Oh wait.

First, is it actually true they have no passport renewals whatsoever (bar emergency) at present?

This wasn't the situation at the beginning of the year when i received my online renewal.

If it is true, it seems like a deliberate attempt to prevent people travelling overseas. It's not a good enough excuse to talk about the safety of passport processing staff if the true reason is to enforce a ban on international travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

My passport expired in November but kept putting off applying as I knew the passport office was closed as long as we were in Level 5. Read a few posts on here that said they received passports despite them being closed.

Filled out the online application on Sunday morning, took the photos on my phone and paid the €75. Passport arrived this morning! Delighted. It was probably as straight forward as a renewal as possible (same name, same address, no new info to provide) but just thought I'd share here and hope it helps another few in the same boat.

My passport expired in November but kept putting off applying as I knew the passport office was closed as long as we were in Level 5. Read a few posts on here that said they received passports despite them being closed.

Filled out the online application on Sunday morning, took the photos on my phone and paid the €75. Passport arrived this morning! Delighted. It was probably as straight forward as a renewal as possible (same name, same address, no new info to provide) but just thought I'd share here and hope it helps another few in the same boat.
    straight forward adult renewals seem to have been getting processed for the past little while but anything involving anything to do with paper wasnt being processed...... but the online status website is reporting that some of the processes are being updated today so there may be a bit of progress to report by tomorrow.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

I am resigned that we might need to wait another year or 2 before getting our childs passport, but on the positive, anyone applying for a passport (which god knows when it will be processed) should have it easier as one of the changes "will make it easier to upload the picture for your baby’s first passport "

We had awful trouble and cost with professional photographers getting photos for the kids passports when they were infants so at least new parents wont have that problem.... they just have the problem of the never ending Level 5--- (and the number of minuses get longer by the week)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

straight forward adult renewals seem to have been getting processed for the past little while but anything involving anything to do with paper wasnt being processed...... but the online status website is reporting that some of the processes are being updated today so there may be a bit of progress to report by tomorrow.
    https://www.dfa.ie/passportonline/

I am resigned that we might need to wait another year or 2 before getting our childs passport, but on the positive, anyone applying for a passport (which god knows when it will be processed) should have it easier as one of the changes "will make it easier to upload the picture for your baby’s first passport "

We had awful trouble and cost with professional photographers getting photos for the kids passports when they were infants so at least new parents wont have that problem.... they just have the problem of the never ending Level 5--- (and the number of minuses get longer by the week)

“Year or two” - you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    “Year or two” - you reckon?
    looks like it might be quicker!!

I'm glad they now look like they will be processing again when numbers are low and panic (from Tony and the lads) seeming to receed.

We will have another wave of Covid this Autumn (perfectly under control as we will mostly be vaccinated) with scary percentages of immune escape variants as a proportion of overall infection and the "experts" like Tony and his advisors will react with all manner of restrictions whilst the booster vaccinations are being administered, possibly including work restrictions leading to pausing of passport processing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I'm glad they now look like they will be processing again when numbers are low and panic (from Tony and the lads) seeming to receed.

We will have another wave of Covid this Autumn (perfectly under control as we will mostly be vaccinated) with scary percentages of immune escape variants as a proportion of overall infection and the "experts" like Tony and his advisors will react with all manner of restrictions whilst the booster vaccinations are being administered, possibly including work restrictions leading to pausing of passport processing again.

I contacted a member of the passport team through the web chat. He said the only way people were getting them within days as some say they have is if absolutely everything is in order. So even for a simple renewal like my own, if the photo was slightly off & required editing or needs taking again, then it just sits in a pile until they return to work in the office. It would have been a lot simpler if they had communicated this at some stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Disgraceful contribution by any measure

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Disgraceful contribution by any measure
    If you can point out whats incorrect I'd be much obliged.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Ordered my passport last Wednesday night, uploaded photo taken by phone onto the online system. Passport arrived Friday morning. Definitely the best customer experience to date for an Irish system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭prunudo

So after applying at end of February and still nothing as of last week I checked to see how the application was progressing via the tracking service, initially it said it was being processed and now says there's as issue with the photo and they would send an email.
    Problem is, no sign of email in any of the folders, and webchat is disengaged as they say they're busy. Any other tips in getting my application back on track?
    Also no idea how I'm going to get a photo they're happy with, at the time it took numerous tries before it accepted a photo when I originally applied.

prunudo wrote: »
    Also no idea how I'm going to get a photo they're happy with, at the time it took numerous tries before it accepted a photo when I originally applied.

I used my phone camera and a makeshift selfie stick involving a sweeping brush, sellotape and the timer function. After submitting it i noticed the image was mirrored but figured they'd just reject it and I'd try again... Nope, they processed it.

App received 14/2, estimated 25/2. Simple renewal online. Just now in the printing stage.

• Advertisement

The notice on the passport office website that they are not processing passport cards is now also removed, so seems like they may be producing those again.

They have also removed ANY mention of the farcial continuing level 5 restrictions which Mr Donnelly admitted were being abused by the government for internal civil service admin purposes and kept as an ever more diluted level 5, rather than being altered to reflect reality of it really being level 4 or level 3 .

Advertisement