Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jones plays on the left side of midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Was Karius not supposedly getting a run out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

sweetie wrote: »
    I'd almost like to see them win la liga except they're a bunch of cheating divers
    Suarez will fit right in :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Time, for me at least, to forgive a couple of ex-players

https://punditarena.com/football/darraghmurphy/thiago-fernando-torres-anfield/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I feel bad for Torres. He loved it at Liverpool, he was badly treated and lied to by the owners, and he left in a storm. But every time he talks about the club, he glows about it. There is no question that it's his #2 after Atleti...

I never hated Torres but I think the fire had burned out by the time he left and the 50M we got for him at the time was a very good price. Similarly with Coutinho he did a lot of good things for us and while the shenanigans trying to get out were bad I wouldn't say I hated him over it. Plus the fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The Torres documentary is up on Amazon Prime now. Watched it the other day - pretty good

So then, if I were Klopp (or Pepijn Lijnders - is he the defacto coach tonight?) I'd be willing to play a few of the new boys but only from half time in the case of Thiago - I think he'd need to watch how Lincoln play and what an early cup game actually tends to feel like. They'll be up for it even in front of an empty stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd imagine Mondays team has been picked and already working on the Arsenal game ,

So I reckon nobody who starts tonight is in that team unless someone picks up an injury in training ,

I hope we go tonight with ,

.....................Adrian
    Neco......Phillips …... Billy or Sep ……. Tsimikas

……………..Jones …Milner……Shaq

Elliot …………….Taki …………….Jota

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

When we loose pep we will struggle I feel,he's the new 'brain' .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Suarez just moved to Athletico for 5.5 million. That was a mental move from Barca

Hopefully he's happy where he is at ,

The guy is getting lots of credit and Jurgen is very clever giving him press conferences and extra responsibility to shows how important and trusted he is , If I was Jurgen i'd be making it a more regular thing ,

I guess it all depends on Pep's mind set , Does he want to be a full time manger or is he happy to be part of one of the biggest clubs in the world as second in command,

For me he has a brilliant football mind but maybe not the big personality and aura of top manger ,

If Jurgen leaves on a high , i'd promote Pep to manger ,
    If Jurgen leaves on a low then i'd look outside the current set up for a new manger,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Vicxas wrote: »
    Suarez just moved to Athletico for 5.5 million. That was a mental move from Barca

Costa and Suarez in the same team...

That's gonna be some good ****.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Was Karius not supposedly getting a run out?

I hope Karius gets a run out.

A run out the doors of Melwood never to be seen again.

DVDM93 wrote: »

Another good player, run out because of high profile mistakes. He kept 5 clean sheets in 6 group games in 2017/18, and has some superb performances in the league. He also had Lovren, Matip and Klavan in front of him for first half of that season!

He's far too good for some club to not take a chance on him, just needs a permanent home and some confidence. He's 27 now, so should be coming into his best years.

Yeh, we struggled when we lost Buvac...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

DVDM93 wrote: »

#YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Dickerty wrote: »
    Another good player, run out because of high profile mistakes. He kept 5 clean sheets in 6 group games in 2017/18, and has some superb performances in the league. He also had Lovren, Matip and Klavan in front of him for first half of that season!

He's far too good for some club to not take a chance on him, just needs a permanent home and some confidence. He's 27 now, so should be coming into his best years.

The biggest stage of them all, a stage most players dream of since kids of getting to and he choked. Who he had in front of him had nothing to do with throwing the ball to Benzema's feet and throwing the ball into the goal from Bale's shot.

rob316 wrote: »
    The biggest stage of them all, a stage most players dream of since kids of getting to and he choked. Who he had in front of him had nothing to do with throwing the ball to Benzema's feet and throwing the ball into the goal from Bale's shot.

He got elbowed in the head by Ramos. Which concussed him.

His mistake was playing on but adrenaline probably wouldn't let him stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I'd imagine Mondays team has been picked and already working on the Arsenal game ,

So I reckon nobody who starts tonight is in that team unless someone picks up an injury in training ,

I hope we go tonight with ,

.....................Adrian
    Neco......Phillips …... Billy or Sep ……. Tsimikas

……………..Jones …Milner……Shaq

Elliot …………….Taki …………….Jota

That front 3 is very exciting.

I could see us fielding a slightly stronger team going by Pep’s presser yesterday. Can’t see Shaq starting in that role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

rob316 wrote: »

**** it, we won #6 after.

I would love to see Karius redeemed - if only for himself - but I don't think he will get that chance at Liverpool. The instagram videos really were stupid though and don't give off the vibe of someone who is prepared to knuckle down despite failures. He's still young in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

and the excuses for his shambolic display against Tranmere when players were actually laughing at the state of him or for his curtailed loan for Besiktas are?

That front 3 is very exciting.

I could see us fielding a slightly stronger team going by Pep’s presser yesterday. Can’t see Shaq starting in that role.

That's the team I want to see but I bet Naby and Origi start ,

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    and the excuses for his shambolic display against Tranmere when players were actually laughing at the state of him or for his curtailed loan for Besiktas are?

Read the real story - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52495326

TLDR: He cut the loan short because they were not paying him his wages.

As for Tranmere, he spilled a freekick and they scored. Big deal. It was a pre-season game FFS. I don't believe any of our players laughed at him, Klopp would have torn them apart.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Read the real story - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52495326

TLDR: He cut the loan short because they were not paying him his wages.

As for Tranmere, he spilled a freekick and they scored. Big deal. It was a pre-season game FFS. I don't believe any of our players laughed at him, Klopp would have torn them apart.

ah sure it was only the champions league final he made two other howlers :rolleyes:

the chap kicked a goal kick out for a corner at one point :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

That's the team I want to see but I bet Naby and Origi start ,

I don't think Naby will start tonight. He will be saved for the Arsenal game. The last 6 competitive games that he has started, Liverpool have won. The last 4 he has not started, Liverpool have drawn or lost (Arsenal x 2, City & Burnley). So there is a trend emerging. I'd start Thiago alongside Jones & Milner in midfield. If not, I'd play Jones, Milner & Minamino. I don't think any of the 'real' kids will be played in midfield tonight anyways. That leaves Fabinho, Keita, Gini fresh for Arsenal with maybe Henderson regaining fitness too.

I also don't think that both Shaqiri & Elliot can start together tbh. Elliot has only played on the RW for Liverpool so I would take a guess that that is where he will be played long term and the clubs have high hopes for him. They will want to keep him happy getting game time so he will start IMO. Shaqiri is one of the players looking to be sold. I don't see any benefit in starting Shaqiri ahead of Elliot. Elliot was almost the chief cup player last season. I think he started every cup game.

As Elliot will start, that leaves Brewster, Origi, Jota and probably Minamino all vying for the other 2 spots, maybe 3. Jota will surely get a start to make his debut. Personally, I would like to see Brewster play, but it looks like he will get a loan move so maybe they are keeping him back for this. It would be good to see if he has kicked on since he last wore a red jersey. Origi hasn't seen the pitch yet this season at all. You would have to think that if he is going to stay at the club this season again, he will get a start tonight. One of Brewster or Origi will have to play you would think. What is says for the player who doesn't start will be pretty damning. Then Minamino, does he play as part of the midfield or just play him from the bench to keep him tipping along.

x43r0 wrote: »
    The Torres documentary is up on Amazon Prime now. Watched it the other day - pretty good

for anyone looking to watch this, or perhaps the Spurs documentary, or perhaps just having Amazon Prime in general, you can sign up for a free 6 month trial.

It's for students, however, I tried it with my old college email & it still worked.

I haven't used that email address in 6 years now so certainly worth a go if you can still remember yours/still have one.

Also one of the lads just made up an email & it worked for him no bother so worth a go.

DVDM93@collegename.ie for example.

[url] https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Student/b?ie=UTF8&node=668781011[/url]

Fitz* wrote: »
    I don't think Naby will start tonight. He will be saved for the Arsenal game. The last 6 competitive games that he has started, Liverpool have won. The last 4 he has not started, Liverpool have drawn or lost (Arsenal x 2, City & Burnley). So there is a trend emerging. I'd start Thiago alongside Jones & Milner in midfield. If not, I'd play Jones, Milner & Minamino. I don't think any of the 'real' kids will be played in midfield tonight anyways. That leaves Fabinho, Keita, Gini fresh for Arsenal with maybe Henderson regaining fitness too.

I also don't think that both Shaqiri & Elliot can start together tbh. Elliot has only played on the RW for Liverpool so I would take a guess that that is where he will be played long term and the clubs have high hopes for him. They will want to keep him happy getting game time so he will start IMO. Shaqiri is one of the players looking to be sold. I don't see any benefit in starting Shaqiri ahead of Elliot. Elliot was almost the chief cup player last season. I think he started every cup game.

As Elliot will start, that leaves Brewster, Origi, Jota and probably Minamino all vying for the other 2 spots, maybe 3. Jota will surely get a start to make his debut. Personally, I would like to see Brewster play, but it looks like he will get a loan move so maybe they are keeping him back for this. It would be good to see if he has kicked on since he last wore a red jersey. Origi hasn't seen the pitch yet this season at all. You would have to think that if he is going to stay at the club this season again, he will get a start tonight. One of Brewster or Origi will have to play you would think. What is says for the player who doesn't start will be pretty damning. Then Minamino, does he play as part of the midfield or just play him from the bench to keep him tipping along.

Personally I think the Arsenal game we will see Gini, Hendo , Thiago and Fab centre back, This of course depends how fit Henderson is,

I see Thiago playing against Arsenal in my mind there midfield is weak and I think with him in there we can control the came and starve them of the ball,

I agree with pretty much everything else you say ,
    I want to see Taki play he looked so sharp in pre-season and the Community shield , I think he deserves to play in the false 9 roll ,

He's obviously Bobby understudy for the false 9 roll and has been working hard at it so I'd give him the chance of 90 minutes in that position ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hoping for:

———————Adrian
    Williams—Phillips—Koumetio—Tsimikas
    —————Milner—-Jones
    ———————Minamino
    —Elliott————Origi———-Jota

Ox, Brewster, and Thiago to get time off the bench.
    Maybe Shaq instead of Ox (maybe neither with their injuries). VDB in if Koumetio didnt make the injury comeback they were hoping for.

• Advertisement

I wonder will the likes of Wilson & Grujic be involved at all,
    Also is it possible Kelleher continues as the Carling Cup keeper ?

I wonder will the likes of Wilson & Grujic be involved at all,
    Also is it possible Kelleher continues as the Carling Cup keeper ?

He played on Monday for the U21s, so very unlikely...

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/409592-match-report-wigan-athletic-efl-trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

https://theathletic.com/2087584/2020/09/24/jota-liverpool-klopp-pressing-fouls/

Great article on Jota for those who have the Athletic sub :)

"Look up the statistics from Diogo Jota’s first two Premier League campaigns and you’ll be quietly impressed — 16 goals and six assists is a decent return for a young attacker (he was 21 at the start of the 2018-19 season).

What you won’t find among the usual statistical categories is a quality that remains undervalued: the ability to get an opponent sent off.

Over the last two seasons with Wolves, an opposition player has been shown a red card for fouling Jota on five occasions in the Premier League, and when you calculate how many minutes he has played over that period (4,670), it means he gets an opponent dismissed every 934 minutes — roughly once every 10 matches.

That tally probably should have been six red cards (more on that later). But what do all these incidents demonstrate about Jota’s game, and what he’ll now bring to Liverpool?

It’s clear that Jurgen Klopp wants his attacking players to be energetic and tenacious when pressing from the front — yesterday, his assistant Pep Lijnders said Jota is a “pressing monster, so he will fit right in” — which makes this first incident particularly intriguing."

getting players sent off, we're obviously branching off into the dark arts. I'll expect a lot more penalties awarded to us this year so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I remember Xabi Alonso had a knack for that too when he played for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

martyos121 wrote: »
    I remember Xabi Alonso had a knack for that too when he played for us.

Unfortunately when narky Frank broke Alonsos ankle in 05 he didn't walk - frank couldn't handle these flash auslanders running rings around him .... kinda like now with klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Ardent

Vicxas wrote: »

Suarez has a couple of good seasons left him. And he's a perfect fit for a Simeone team. Should do well there.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    getting players sent off, we're obviously branching off into the dark arts. I'll expect a lot more penalties awarded to us this year so.

Penaltypool FC are back baby!!

#9raciasLuis :eek:

• Advertisement

Ya that looks bad.

Susanalbumparty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

UEFA confirm 5 subs will be allowed in the European Games.

more good news for the big clubs not so much for the plucky underdogs like ourselves
    stupid rule even simply for the time wasting opportunities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,476 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

gimli2112 wrote:
    more good news for the big clubs not so much for the plucky underdogs like ourselves stupid rule even simply for the time wasting opportunities

I like the thought of starting a tough game with a hard working midfield like Hendo, Milner and Gini and switching them for Fabinho, Keita and Thiago after an hour to just f**king lay into the other side after they're worn out, and still have subs left over. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

more good news for the big clubs not so much for the plucky underdogs like ourselves

Depends on the way they do it... no real time wasting if they do it like the PL did it for the run-in last season. 3 windows to make your 5 subs.

Good for us anyway I think, given how many nailed on un-rotated starters we have (forwards and fullbacks especially), let's us get them off the field if a game is won and give more time to the backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

He will be a big loss to Barcelona, got 5 goals in 7 champions league appearances last season, hard to replace that, I realise they are trying to cut salaries, it just seems like they handed getting rid of him badly.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Depends on the way they do it... no real time wasting if they do it like the PL did it for the run-in last season. 3 windows to make your 5 subs.

Good for us anyway I think, given how many nailed on un-rotated starters we have (forwards and fullbacks especially), let's us get them off the field if a game is won and give more time to the backups.

Origi, if he stays, is probably going to get loads of 10-20 mins appearances in the CL. Probably every other group stage game at least.

For Tsimikas & Jota too, it will be a great entry into the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ardent wrote: »
    Suarez has a couple of good seasons left him. And he's a perfect fit for a Simeone team. Should do well there.

If he was 29 he would be great but he might be one of the few forwards who moves as slow as Diego Costa now.

The big clubs have a massive advantage anyway, look at the league cup this season most of the last 16 sides will be Premier League sides even though they clearly don't care about it.

Gonna predict a line up of

Adrian
    Williams---VDB---Philips---Tsimikas
    Jones---Thiago---Milner
    Elliot
    Minamino
    Jota

There is some talk that Rhys Williams might get a game at CB also. I think Billy Koumetio may still be injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,408 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I love these two goals as Barca really needed them, it was a big game in CL. First is amazing, the second is incredible. I never seen a player pass the ball to himself before, that second goal was made in Suarez.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement