Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2020/2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Definitely think there's more than fitness/injury issues with Shaqiri, what we're told are slight injuries seem to last forever with him, so somethings not adding up. It's a pity because he definitely has the ability to give us something different when he's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Great share man. Kind of forget his mentor would have been Rush. Unreal.
    Imagine if he declared for Ireland too! He would have fed off Quinny all day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Talisman wrote: »
    Sport Billy!

Jesus. That popped into my head a few weeks back, went onto to YouTube to watch that theme music clip and then read up about it on Wiki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Definitely think there's more than fitness/injury issues with Shaqiri, what we're told are slight injuries seem to last forever with him, so somethings not adding up.

The new Clyne?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

x43r0 wrote: »
    The new Clyne?

fan of certain substances as well is he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,993 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

x43r0 wrote: »
    The new Clyne?

Era, whenever there's a vacuum (or just lack) of information, rumours always pop up. The Clyne stuff was all total nonsense, and I'd say any rumours around Shaq (beyond injuries and just being out of favour with a big squad) are the same.

I really like Shaq, was delighted we signed him, but at the moment who does he get game-time ahead of? Even in the league cup, you have Minamino and Jones who take up similar positions, and both of whom are clearly seen as options for the longer term. At right wing forward you have Elliott who the club are giving secondary minutes to when they can since he won't get much in the league.

Barring a lot of injuries to other players, there's just not really room to give him the time to get match fit. He was ideal for that period just after he signed where we played 4-2-1-3 before Fabinho had settled in the season before last, and got a lot of time as the 1 before christmas that year, but since we switched to 4-3-3 there's just not been a natural spot for him. Add in the injuries, and he's just been unfortunate, but such is life at a top club, there's no margin for error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

DrumSteve wrote: »

I will never tire of this.

Corner. Taken. Quickly.

What a bizarre celebration that was. Barely saw it happen and was certain it would be disallowed. Not really sure why it was just a mad feeling, seeing it go in, thinking it wouldn't count, then realising it was a goal....holy moly

I'll never tire of this game either. Wijnaldum's second was just an incredible moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Corner. Taken. Quickly.

It's totally different without the crowd, it will along time before that many are allowed in the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

New thread video share......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

New thread video share......

I too scream like that when we score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

8-10 wrote: »
    What a bizarre celebration that was. Barely saw it happen and was certain it would be disallowed. Not really sure why it was just a mad feeling, seeing it go in, thinking it wouldn't count, then realising it was a goal....holy moly

I'll never tire of this game either. Wijnaldum's second was just an incredible moment

Yeah, my favourite goal of the night. What some people forget is that it came within just 30 seconds of the restart (but because of VAR reviewing his first one, it seemed longer). Also, he said afterwards that he couldn’t celebrate the first because they were still losing the tie, but he let loose after the second went in.

Best quality goal and best celebration on the night. Poor Divock’s celebrations have always been very flat/weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Gomez won't train again til Friday, so maybe Monday against Arsenal is possible.
    Henderson still a massive doubt for a Monday.
    Mario won't return until the next international break.

The main 'first team' takeaways from Ljinders press conference ahead of the Lincoln. All 3 won't be involved in the League Cup game anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Poor Divock’s celebrations have always been very flat/weird.

its liek he doesnt know how to celebrate

and when he tried to celebrate with the crowd at villa away someones da tried to neck him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Phillps will start at CB if he is fit I would imagine with van den Berg beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,916 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

One of the funniest celebrations I've ever seen was when Origi scored a 96th minute winner vs Everton and immediately picked the ball up and started running back to the center spot before being told to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Skipping ahead to the arsenal game, hopefully fabinho starts cb, if Henderson is fit, would gini, Thiago and Henderson work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

One of the funniest celebrations I've ever seen was when Origi scored a 96th minute winner vs Everton and immediately picked the ball up and started running back to the center spot before being told to stop

Origi: I'll ****ing do it again :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Corner. Taken. Quickly.

I seriously cry watching that. Such a great night. Incredible scenes at the end singing YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭dogbert27

8-10 wrote: »

And seeing as he's a talking point, the assist was a great cross from Shaqiri! :)

No Salah, No Firmino, Shaqiri starting, Robbo off at half time.

I'd say this game haunts Barca more than the drubbing they got this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Just before the second leg of the Barcelona tie was a pretty bleak time. We were three down with all those players missing and I remember saying to someone we had more chance of winning the CL than the PL. While we just ended up a point shy I genuinely felt the league was gone. We had lost the final the year before. Had run City to the wire but could never see us competing with them on an ongoing basis (I thought 2019 was our one chance)

some rollercoster since, well a rollercoster that's just kept going up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Not a rollercoaster then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Burnley in for Wilson ,James Pearce has been tweeting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Who says rollercoasters have to come down?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

All the usuals tweeting this now. So maybe just a matter of fee and fee structure, I'd imagine.

Burnley have played Brady & Eric Pieters as their right winger lately. Gudmansson seems to have a few injuries and don't really have anyone else capable of playing on the right wing. Could be a good move for him, in terms of starting regularly for a PL side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

https://twitter.com/OliverKay/status/1202350379545120771?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I seriously cry watching that. Such a great night. Incredible scenes at the end singing YNWA

Anecdote time.

My favourite match of all time also and Origi's 2nd goal for me was the pick not because of the quality but because of the quick thinking, ingenuity and freedom of expression TAA had which is a direct result of the way Klopp empowers the players.

The anecdote bit is my young lad was mad because he was studying for the LC at the time so was reluctantly stuck in the school study hall as I'd said it would be a miracle to get anything out of the tie given we were 3-0 down and missing Firmino and Salah.

20 minutes after Origi's 1st goal went in the young lad burst into the room, threw his bag on the ground and hopped onto the couch swearing the comeback was on, how he'd never listen to me again and whilst he could always repeat the LC he wasn't going to miss this match no matter what I said :P

Turns out himself and a few LFC supporting pals had their phones on in study and there was a general "yesssss" emitted when Origi's 1st went in followed by heads nodding towards the door and 5 or 6 of them up and leaving without permission.

All turned out grand in the end :D

One of the best nights football and shared experiences I've had with my son ever and that includes trips to Anfield and holidays etc. We were hopping all over the place during the match and on cloud nine for days after.

Special.

another testament to how quick the thinking was for Origi's 2nd goal was that Klopp missed the entire thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I could listen to Pep all day, super excited about Jota as Pep called him a "pressing monster" :)
    LFC need to get the signing VLOG out for him too and not be overshadowed by Thiago :)

strictly speaking a potential rollercoster but rollercoster nonetheless

• Advertisement

Talks of Burnley being taken over. Maybe they will have some cash to spend, and will be able to spend a bit more for Harry Wilson.

Dyche has been doing his nut because of the "takeover" and his CEO, lost several players who ran out of contract and uncertainty about funding not just because of Covid but lack of clarity about what would be available in any event with the takeover still not finalised. Can he spend or not? I think they have 20 players of whom 3 are keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like Suarez and maybe Cavani are going to Atletico. Barca have no class with the way they treated Suarez. All they do at Barca is look for scapegoats.

Looks like Suarez and maybe Cavani are going to Atletico. Barca have no class with the way they treated Suarez. All they do at Barca is look for scapegoats.

I've never quite understood the Barca and Madrid thing of tossing out absolutely massive wages. Like, be competitive, sure, but they pay wages that are way over the odds, while also being the biggest draw in football terms (not quite as much of late, but certainly were when these wages were given). Surely you only need to be paying insane money if its a slightly less appealing club? Like PSG in a less competitive league, or a club that's not sure about getting in the CL places, or the Russian or Chinese clubs.

But I just can't see the logic to giving Bale 600k a week for instance. No-one else was gonna offer him that sort of money, and you were already a really appealing choice in a great city, team, and league, even with more competitive wages...

See it with half the Barca lads too (Messi being somewhat of an exception), where most of them I'm sure would've accepted less if this crazy expectation wasn't set. Like Griezmann more than doubling his Atletico wages to over 800k a week!

It just makes no sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I've never quite understood the Barca and Madrid thing of tossing out absolutely massive wages. Like, be competitive, sure, but they pay wages that are way over the odds, while also being the biggest draw in football terms (not quite as much of late, but certainly were when these wages were given). Surely you only need to be paying insane money if its a slightly less appealing club? Like PSG in a less competitive league, or a club that's not sure about getting in the CL places, or the Russian or Chinese clubs.

But I just can't see the logic to giving Bale 600k a week for instance. No-one else was gonna offer him that sort of money, and you were already a really appealing choice in a great city, team, and league, even with more competitive wages...

See it with half the Barca lads too (Messi being somewhat of an exception), where most of them I'm sure would've accepted less if this crazy expectation wasn't set. Like Griezmann more than doubling his Atletico wages to over 800k a week!

It just makes no sense to me.

I think it's a 'brag' from the board. Barca def took they eye off the ball when it came to on the field stuff, focused more on trying to be Forbes No1, "We're the best paying club"......etc

I think it's a 'brag' from the board. Barca def took they eye off the ball when it came to on the field stuff, focused more on trying to be Forbes No1, "We're the best paying club"......etc

I think you're probably right on the arrogance front, but it just seems so utterly insane from clubs that do actually have to run as businesses to at least some extent.

We see three European giants in Barca, Real, and Juve on the brink of real financial troubles because of this stuff, seemingly quite unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

Is Diego Costa gone from Atletico, himself and Suárez playing together would be interesting.

• Advertisement

Costa's all mouth haven't heard a peep from him since Henderson stared him down
    Suarez is the scary one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I'd almost like to see them win la liga except they're a bunch of cheating divers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Looks like Suarez and maybe Cavani are going to Atletico.
    So their front line would potentially be Joao Felix and one from Costa, Kalinic, Suarez & Cavani a blend of youth and experience.

Jota's signing day

Arsenal in the 4th round if they beat Lincoln tomorrow.

Arsenal are playing two third round games!?!?

• Advertisement

Home or away

I wonder if Thiago will start tomorrow night?

Was surprised to see him play against Chelsea after one training session. No bedding in time into the system. But then, the red card changed the game and there was always going to be the number overload somewhere so to make Thiago with his passing ability as the extra man was a very smart move by Klopp. The ability for Chelsea to press him was also reduced. It reminded by of the Modric sub that Mourinho made after the Nani red card all those years ago in the CL. The attacking overload only lasted about 15 mins but it won the tie.

I think Arsenal will be a different propositions to Chelsea. They are improved a lot defensively under Arteta and will look to attack on the counter more. I think they might even look to get players running off of Thiago at pace as a source of this counter attacking. I have a feeling they Klopp will go for a tried and tested midfield against Arsenal, with Thiago again coming from the bench to either attempt change the game or see out the game.

For these reasons, I think we might see Thiago start tomorrow in the Cup. Play 60 mins alongside Milner & Jones. By the sounds of things, it will be two inexperienced players in central defence, alongside a full back making his debut and a teenager so having the experienced midfield in front of them will help things. I think because of the quicker turnaround in general this season, maybe they will want all players to keep a higher intensity and manage minutes throughout the season. As opposed to just resting the entire first team for the cups, we could see some first team players playing
    more in order to keep them match fit. As opposed to players playing once a month and then hoping they are ready when they come in cold. Arsenal in the next round too so the 'squad players' will have to be ready for that and not be playing their first game in a while. Ljinders also said to expect a stronger team than expected.

Fitz* wrote: »
    I wonder if Thiago will start tomorrow night?

Was surprised to see him play against Chelsea after one training session. No bedding in time into the system. But then, the red card changed the game and there was always going to be the number overload somewhere so to make Thiago with his passing ability as the extra man was a very smart move by Klopp. The ability for Chelsea to press him was also reduced. It reminded by of the Modric sub that Mourinho made after the Nani red card all those years ago in the CL. The attacking overload only lasted about 15 mins but it won the tie.

I think Arsenal will be a different propositions to Chelsea. They are improved a lot defensively under Arteta and will look to attack on the counter more. I think they might even look to get players running off of Thiago at pace as a source of this counter attacking. I have a feeling they Klopp will go for a tried and tested midfield against Arsenal, with Thiago again coming from the bench to either attempt change the game or see out the game.

For these reasons, I think we might see Thiago start tomorrow in the Cup. Play 60 mins alongside Milner & Jones. By the sounds of things, it will be two inexperienced players in central defence, alongside a full back making his debut and a teenager so having the experienced midfield in front of them will help things.

All depends on Henderson
    If Henderson isn't making Monday then Thiago starts Monday

All depends on Henderson
    If Henderson isn't making Monday then Thiago starts Monday

That's a good point actually didn't think of that tbh.

This is the starting team I would go with if Shaq if fit.

Adrian

Williams
    VDB
    Philips
    Tsimikas

Jones
    Naby Lad
    Milner

Shaq
    Minamino
    Jota

• Advertisement