Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pandemic Unemployment Payment Query

Options
  • 19-09-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

This may have been asked countless times before but I'm questioning myself and just what someone to confirm it to me.

Obviously you have to satisfy some conditions to receive the PUP but my question concerns this one -
    "Have been in employment or self-employment in Ireland on or after 13 March 2020"

I thought it was that you had to have been working on the 13th March to qualify but now that Im reading "on or AFTER" - thats saying to me that if I started employment say in May 2020 and then that ended due to covid I would be entitled to the payment?
    Is that correct?
    What if you were not working before May 2020?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

hblock21 wrote: »
    This may have been asked countless times before but I'm questioning myself and just what someone to confirm it to me.

Obviously you have to satisfy some conditions to receive the PUP but my question concerns this one -
    "Have been in employment or self-employment in Ireland on or after 13 March 2020"

I thought it was that you had to have been working on the 13th March to qualify but now that Im reading "on or AFTER" - thats saying to me that if I started employment say in May 2020 and then that ended due to covid I would be entitled to the payment?
    Is that correct?
    What if you were not working before May 2020?

Yes this is correct.. in the weeks following the 13th March the numbers of new unemployed began to rise so a lot of people have availed of it since it began rolling out.

You must of course have a valid reason that covid has stopped your employment to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

So if someone was not working for the first 3 or 4 months of the year- only taking up employment in say April or May and then lost their job they would be entitled to the PUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

hblock21 wrote: »
    So if someone was not working for the first 3 or 4 months of the year- only taking up employment in say April or May and then lost their job they would be entitled to the PUP?

If they lost it DUE to covid and have valid proof and everything checks up, I would assume they are entitled to the Covid payment. Why wouldn't they.

I'm no expert, best apply for it/ call them and see the outcome.

I'm curious have you lost your job due to Covid or are you still employed?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

A friend started a new job two weeks before the original lockdown in the hospitality industry, having been unemployed and in receipt of unemployment benefit through the winter.

The business shut down in mid-March.

He called into the local DEASP office and they advised him to apply for the PUP, as his job (regardless of how long he was in it) was directly affected by the pandemic.

He was awarded the PUP and received it until he recently found a new job in a different industry.

Advertisement