Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing from the non contributory pension to the contributory pension

• 17-09-2020 4:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I will reach pension age within a few years.
    I do not have enough Irish PRSI contributions to get the full contributory pension. But with the help of my years worked abroad I make it well over the line to get the full pension.I can claim a pro rata EU contributory pension.
    Unfortunately I can only claim a certain percentage for my wife as an adult dependant who will be reaching retirement age about 7 years after me.
    This means I am forced to take the non contributory pension- which is worth less than my pro rata EU pension- to be able to claim the full increase for a qualified adult. Otherwise I would only get a fraction paid for herself due to the lack of my Irish contributions.
    Is it possible for me to switch from non- contributory to the contributory pension when my wife reaches pension age and is able to claim a full pension on her own rights ?
    Or is a person irreversible "locked" into a certain pension until death as soon as s/he has made the decision to go for either non or contributory pension when reaching pension age?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭ttsnar

No a person can change at any time if it is more beneficial for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

hawthorne wrote: »
    I will reach pension age within a few years.
    I do not have enough Irish PRSI contributions to get the full contributory pension. But with the help of my years worked abroad I make it well over the line to get the full pension.I can claim a pro rata EU contributory pension.
    Unfortunately I can only claim a certain percentage for my wife as an adult dependant who will be reaching retirement age about 7 years after me.
    This means I am forced to take the non contributory pension- which is worth less than my pro rata EU pension- to be able to claim the full increase for a qualified adult. Otherwise I would only get a fraction paid for herself due to the lack of my Irish contributions.
    Is it possible for me to switch from non- contributory to the contributory pension when my wife reaches pension age and is able to claim a full pension on her own rights ?
    Or is a person irreversible "locked" into a certain pension until death as soon as s/he has made the decision to go for either non or contributory pension when reaching pension age?

Bear in mind that it is almost definite that the rules for the Contributory Pension - and possibly the pension age - will change in a couple of years. This is included in the Programme for Government.

I'd also advise you not to second guess the experts! When the time comes (6 months before the relevant birthday) apply for both pensions and when social welfare write back to telli you what you will get under each option then make the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭BowWow

I have the full Contributory Pension. My wife has the full amount for an adult dependent aged under 66 - €165.40.
    When she turns 66 next year this will increase to €222.50.

She will have a total of 1,670 contributions (both paid and credited) at that stage, so could claim a Contributory Pension in her own right. I'm trying to work out what amount she would get. Any advice?

If her Contributory payment works out at less than the €222.50 is there a point in applying?

Advertisement