Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Wow.

Surprised to see no Jason Knight, and so few defenders. Guess he wants to blood the young forwards as soon as possible.

I also would have liked to see Smallbone involved to get him capped sooner rather than later, but overall a very exciting Squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,398 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

McGoldrick suspended for the first game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Collie D wrote: »
    McGoldrick suspended for the first game?

Injured, will join up after he's cleared to play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,706 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Obafemi, Knight, Smallbone and O'Shea missing out are disappointing. Surprised to see Brady and O'Dowda make it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Obafemi, Knight, Smallbone and O'Shea missing out are disappointing. Surprised to see Brady and O'Dowda make it in

Can add Josh Cullen to that list also. Glad to see Molumby there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah some surprising names in there, didn't think we would see Harry Arter involved and also surprised to see both Parrott and Idah. Was convinced that O'Shea would be in there and thought we would see Jack Byrne too. Hopefully no injuries at the back as we seem very bare bones with only 6 announced in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,131 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Robinson linked to moving to West Brom permanently. That'd be a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yeah it's a top heavy squad. O'Shea not making it is a massive surprise especially when you see we've named a back four with Doherty and Lenihan as the only two other defenders to cover and one of those could very easily be playing further up the pitch. Manning I thought might have been included seeing as we have no one else for LB.

Not surprised to see Brady in there as Kenny talked him up, but I wouldn't have picked him though, especially as a midfielder. Smallbone and Knight were pushing for inclusion, but it's possibly harder to experiment with our midfield given how poor it's been set up for awhile now. New manager coming in who'll try to play a different style so we could see some improvements with the established guys like Hendrick, Hourihane and McCarthy under a more progressive manager compared to Mick.

O'Dowda is a funny inclusion as he's been bang average for awhile and he's often in and out of the Bristol team. Only started 17 of the 32 league games he played this season. Maybe Kenny likes his style of play and thinks he could be a useful player for him. I thought Kieran Sadlier might have been a better pick than O'Dowda though.

sugarman wrote: »
    Obafemi getting the hard end of the stick I feel, has done more than Idah and Parrot this season and has played more and scored more than Long has for Southampton this season.

While he's done more than Idah and Parrot, scored more than Long, I feel he wouldn't have been competing with those lads for a spot in the squad. As they'll be more CFs while Obafemi is never gonna play that CF role for us.

Break the forwards down to where they'll be playing in a 4-3-3 and it's Idah, Parrot and Long who look to be competing for that CF role while Robinson, O'Dowda, Connolly and McClean will play out wide and feel that's where he's missed out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Maguire injured?

He won't be going with a 3-5-2 by the looks of that pick.

Randolph,
    Coleman, Duffy Egan, Stevens
    Doherty, Molumby, McCarthy, Hendrick, Connolly
    Long

Would be my guess for Bulgaria. Parrott to come on depending on how the game is going.

McGoldrick and maybe McClean comes in v Finland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If i was Obafemi i'd be very pi55ed off.

While he's done more than Idah and Parrot, scored more than Long, I feel he wouldn't have been competing with those lads for a spot in the squad. As they'll be more CFs while Obafemi is never gonna play that CF role for us.

Break the forwards down to where they'll be playing in a 4-3-3 and it's Idah, Parrot and Long who look to be competing for that CF role while Robinson, O'Dowda, Connolly and McClean will play out wide and feel that's where he's missed out.
    Would have had Obafemi ahead of O'Dowda

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Maguire injured?

He won't be going with a 3-5-2 by the looks of that pick.

Randolph,
    Coleman, Duffy Egan, Stevens
    Robinson, Molumby, McCarthy, Hendrick, Connolly
    Long

Wold be my guess for Bulgaria. Parrott to come on depending on how the game is going.

McGoldrick and maybe McClean comes in v Finland

Doherty over Coleman for me.

Doherty over Coleman for me.

I changed it and put Doherty right midfield instead of Robinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Midfield doesn't look too great. Not a fan of Hendrick but hopefully Kenny can get something out of him. Happy to see Molumby added.
    Would also like to have seen Knight, O'Shea and Obafemi in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,131 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idah and Parrot shouldn't be ahead of Obafemi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

surprised to see no Obafemi, Cullen and Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

While I think Obafemi warranted a place in the squad, it was the case that Kenny was picking Idah and Parrott ahead of him for the 21s on a regular basis, so he obviously feels like they offer something else.

It's good too see the younger players come in. I would be worried by the lack of defenders, and would be very worried if Randolph picks up an injury.

Midfield - I'm surprised Cullen is gone, and also would've thought Jack Byrne would get in. Good to see McCarthy back. You'd imagine it was between Arter and Cullen for the last spot. I suppose I can see a case for Arter being picked given his good form for a team that won the playoffs, in comparison to Cullen playing in a team that was relegated.

I wouldn't have had Brady in the squad at all. Given his lack of game time, and how far off the pace he was when he last played for us, I think he needs to get playing regular first team football and showing some form before he's considered again.

Happy to see Idah, Connolly, and Parrott in the squad. While I don't think he'll start the three of them, it is a trio that Kenny got a great tune out of for the 21s.

Not long to go now until the first game. Really looking forward to seeing what team he picks and how we love up.

sugarman wrote: »
    Yeah true I suppose.. I really dont expect Idah or Parrott to be involved all that much if at all, nor would I have expected Obafemi if he was called up. Its more so for the experience and to slowly blood them into the setup. I still think Obafemi warrants a spot.

Think Parrot might only be there as McGoldrick is injured and as the citizen said I'd have Obafemi in there ahead of O'Dowda to play on the right. O'Dowda has been bang average at Bristol and mostly plays on the left too.

Our lack of options out wide is really showing. We've no one that really plays on the right. O'Dowda and Robinson look like they might be competing for that RW spot and Robinson for me has always been better on the left where he can cut inside on his right and O'Dowda likes to cut in on his left when he's played out on the right.

Thought Sadlier or Ogbene would have been included to try out on the right. They both can play on either wing but both being right footed would be seen as better wingers on the right than Robinson or O'Dowda.

Plus where is Doherty going to play, he's already said he'll try incorporate both him and Coleman into the team so adds more question marks over the top heavy squad if Doherty plays RW and both Robinson and O'Dowda are subs against Bulgaria.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Idah and Parrot shouldn't be ahead of Obafemi.

He's not going to play CF like Idah and Parrot. He's lost out to O'Dowda rather than those two who'll be competing with Long to see whose back up to McGoldrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Obafemi should be in the squad. Understandable he is very frustrated. Smallbone I rate highly too, would like to see him involved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A regular premier league (26 games and 4 goals 4 assists last season )forward in Obafemi dropped for Parrot and Idah is just plan wrong.

Also Sane Long shouldn't be ahead of him either.

While I think Obafemi warranted a place in the squad, it was the case that Kenny was picking Idah and Parrott ahead of him for the 21s on a regular basis, so he obviously feels like they offer something else.

TBF to Obafemi he had injury problems last year which prevented him from call ups and even when he was called up couldn't train as much as the others because of issues with his injuries needing to be managed . Plus the other two offer better options through the centre than 5ft 6 Obafemi whose going to find it hard to make it as a CF like Connolly.

Unless we play two up top then Obafemi will have to play out wide like Connolly whose the better player but everyone has acknowledged that he'll find it hard to make it as a centre forward because of his height and is better suited to play out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While I agree Obafemi is unlucky to miss out, purely on games played rather than performances, tweeting isn't going to do himself any good, even 'cryptic' stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Corholio wrote: »
    While I agree Obafemi is unlucky to miss out, purely on games played rather than performances, tweeting isn't going to do himself any good, even 'cryptic' stuff.

No definitely not going to do anyone any good, do feel for him as I think he deserves a spot in the squad ahead of a few that were named such as Parrott, Idah, Brady and O'Dowda. Maybe Kenny doesn't rate him as he didn't seem to feature too much for the u21s either. You would feel bad for him if that's the case - two years ago Irish fans were desperate to get him on board and the whole will he/won't he thing with MON. Fast forward to now and he can't even get in the squad, must be frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Duffy looks like he may be going to Celtic. Disappointed in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Really disappointed by Obafemi missing out. Honestly think my first 3 names for those forward positions that I'd have definitely wanted involved would have been McGoldrick, Connolly, and Obafemi, and worked from there.

0-IMG-0646-JPEG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The omission of Obafemi is an absolute disgrace. I can't believe it. He scored goals against two sides that qualified for the Champions League and has been left out in favour of lads that haven't proven themselves to anywhere near that extent. It's baffling. Obafemi should have been one of the first forwards named.

This was Stephen Kenny's first test in the job and he has failed it spectacularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

can anyone remember anything remarkable that O'Dowda has done when playing for Ireland? good or bad? just don't get him in the squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement