Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus this rule is complicated

Not saying it will happen but if Michael Obafemi does act the gob****e and refuses call ups and plays for Nigeria/England then it will be disrespectful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

PTH2009 wrote: »

Not saying it will happen but if Michael Obafemi does act the gob****e and refuses call ups and plays for Nigeria/England then it will be disrespectful

Just in case anyone is wondering about the rule:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114365215&postcount=9905
    sugarman wrote: »
    Also, this is fairly mental. FIFA are looking to change eligibility rules to enable players to switch even after competitive caps have been awarded.
    FIFA is helping soccer players switch eligibility and represent a second national team with a planned rule change announced Wednesday.

The proposal gives hope to players who are eligible for multiple countries but fell out of favour at their first national team, where they are bound after just a single minute of playing time in a competitive game.

The new wording would let players switch eligibility if they played a maximum of three times for the first national team — including tournament qualifying games — before they turned 21, and at least three years earlier.

The new rule will take effect next month if 211 national federations approve it at the Sept. 18 congress that FIFA is hosting online from Zurich.

A FIFA working group has tried for more than two years to shape the new proposal.

A test case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport ahead of the 2018 World Cup is key background.

Munir El Haddadi, now with Europa League finalist Sevilla, wanted to be selected for Morocco but lost his appeal against the FIFA rules. He had played just once for Spain in September 2014, as a 77th-minute substitute in a European Championship qualifier.

The new rule would not help Brazil midfielder Oscar, who has suggested switching to China where he has played club soccer since 2017.

Oscar would fail the test because he has played more than three times for Brazil, including after he was aged 21, and at a World Cup finals tournament in 2014.

The proposal would bar nationality switches for anyone who played at a “final tournament of the FIFA World Cup or a final tournament of a confederation competition.”

FIFA’s new flexibility even suggests letting players revert back to their original national team if they never actually play for the second one.

The existing FIFA rules have been used by many players born in Europe — who played in national age-group teams or friendly games — and switched to African countries where they have ties through their parents or grandparents.

In more updating of eligibility rules, FIFA wants to clarify how long players must live in a country before they can play for its teams.

The proposal aims to help players who as children moved with their families to a new country for non-soccer reasons.

Three years residency would be required if a player moved before the age of 10, and five years residency if the move was aged 10 to 18.

FIFA’s existing rule already requires a five-year residency from the age of 18 if a player wants to acquire a new national eligibility.

That allowed Brazil-born forwards Elkeson and Aloisio to switch to the current China team after they were naturalized as citizens.

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1296388271312973824?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't think we need to worry about Obafemi. He sounded very committed when he spoke to RTE last year.
    "I think it was blown a bit out of proportion but at the end of the day, I was born in Ireland so I don’t see a reason why I should play for England or Nigeria," Obafemi told RTÉ Sport.

"I knew that I was going to choose Ireland already, but obviously everyone from the outside were bringing England and Nigeria into it, but I don’t think I was ever going to choose any of the other ones.

"I never really entertained any other options, didn’t speak to any other country. I knew in my mind what I was going to do."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

If he was going to play for Nigeria he would have chosen them, not sure if they even approached him and he's not good enough for England.

Though this new proposal does mean the chosen one can return to Ireland, hasn't played for England in three years, just saying :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Damien Delaney is a really good pundit. Just watching a preview show here on virgin media ahead of the 2 finals this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yeah hes very good, love him on OTB.

I'm surprised to see people say that. I was listening to him on OTB this week and thought the exact opposite, always feel like he is a bit of a spoofer or something. Seems like a sound bloke though, but don't like him half as much as most ex player pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Article on BBC there that Mark Sykes is looking to switch from NI to ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Conor Ronan gone to Grasshoppers on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Wuff Wuff wrote: »

I know little about him but NI fans are seething about this on Twitter.

never heard of him but more the merrier I suppose

Hardly getting into the squad tomorrow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I'd imagine there's paperwork to be done first?

I'd imagine there's paperwork to be done first?

unless its been done in the background and only gone public today?

Think Will Smallbone deserves to be in the squad cause you knw he's 'eligible for England' and tie him down and all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Plays for Oxford in league 1, played for Glenavon for years before that,

Strange one though as he played a lot under Barraclough for their u21s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Conor Ronan gone to Grasshoppers on loan

Disappointed to see they play in the Swiss Championship equivalent and not the premier. Would have been better to try get a championship club I think

Gotta love the comments though about he wouldn't get into our team anyway, better chance of playing for that lot than us. Have they even got any centre midfielders playing in the Premier League anymore? Norwood retired from international football and Davis is playing in Scotland now but he's 36.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He's a very good player but he is unlikely to pick up more than a few caps for the ROI to be honest. It's a strange move as he has a much better chance of playing more regular international football with NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

I'd assume Stephen Kenny might have ahad an influence in this. What side of the divide is he from. Possibly an influential factor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

When players switch it’s always annoying to be fair to them. It looks like they’re making it easier for players to switch their national teams rather than harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

worth it for that alone.

awec wrote: »
    He's a very good player but he is unlikely to pick up more than a few caps for the ROI to be honest. It's a strange move as he has a much better chance of playing more regular international football with NI.

You could say the same about Declan Rice or Jack Grealish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Obviously there'll be some here seething about a player changing country after playing for another's U21's right?......right? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I’m reminded of the banner a couple of NI fans held up in Lansdowne during that Carling Nations Cup thing or whatever it was called.

“FAI: Stop stealing our players
    You can keep Darron Gibson though”

awec wrote: »

Could argue that he had a good chance of breaking into the Norths senior squad if he impressed in the Nations League. Jordan Thompson played a few games in the Euro qualifiers and he started last season on loan to Blackpool before before returning to Stoke.

He's more of a central midfielder but has played on the right for a few games, and if you look at the last couple of players who declared for us they also play on the right. Might be a coincidence or the FAI might actually be pulling their socks up regarding activily recruiting players in positions we're short of options in.
    Strange one though as he played a lot under Barraclough for their u21s

Could have been a factor in why he switched. Maybe didn't get along with Barraclough that well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

Collie D wrote: »
    I’m reminded of the banner a couple of NI fans held up in Lansdowne during that Carling Nations Cup thing or whatever it was called.

“FAI: Stop stealing our players
    You can keep Darron Gibson though”

I see he's signed an extension with Salford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What time we expecting the announcement?

Gavin Bazunu going to L1 Rochdale on loan.

Gavin Bazunu looking like he is going to go out on loan to Rochdale in League One and also sign a new contract with Man City. Pleasantly surprised by that, I thought he would hang around in their u23 team for at least another season, but a goalkeeper to be playing regularly at 18 years old would be very good.

Disappointed to see they play in the Swiss Championship equivalent and not the premier. Would have been better to try get a championship club I think

The one positive side to it is Grasshoppers are owned by the wife of the Wolves owner, they were bought only this year. So there's a strong possibility they'll be strengthened to help gain promotion to the top tier.

Gavin Bazunu going to L1 Rochdale on loan.

Good season there could see him move up in the pecking order to No.2 behind Randolph

• Advertisement

Good season there could see him move up in the pecking order to No.2 behind Randolph

It's a massive move for him. Rochdale have a few Irish lads at the club, lads that have played in the LOI and you also have Brain Barry Murphy there as manager. Watched highlights of some Rochdale games and seems Murphy tries to play football and likes his teams to pass it out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Wow.

Surprised to see no Jason Knight, and so few defenders. Guess he wants to blood the young forwards as soon as possible.

I also would have liked to see Smallbone involved to get him capped sooner rather than later, but overall a very exciting Squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

McGoldrick suspended for the first game?

Collie D wrote: »
    McGoldrick suspended for the first game?

Injured, will join up after he's cleared to play

Obafemi, Knight, Smallbone and O'Shea missing out are disappointing. Surprised to see Brady and O'Dowda make it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Obafemi, Knight, Smallbone and O'Shea missing out are disappointing. Surprised to see Brady and O'Dowda make it in

Can add Josh Cullen to that list also. Glad to see Molumby there though.

Yeah some surprising names in there, didn't think we would see Harry Arter involved and also surprised to see both Parrott and Idah. Was convinced that O'Shea would be in there and thought we would see Jack Byrne too. Hopefully no injuries at the back as we seem very bare bones with only 6 announced in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Robinson linked to moving to West Brom permanently. That'd be a good move.

Yeah it's a top heavy squad. O'Shea not making it is a massive surprise especially when you see we've named a back four with Doherty and Lenihan as the only two other defenders to cover and one of those could very easily be playing further up the pitch. Manning I thought might have been included seeing as we have no one else for LB.

Not surprised to see Brady in there as Kenny talked him up, but I wouldn't have picked him though, especially as a midfielder. Smallbone and Knight were pushing for inclusion, but it's possibly harder to experiment with our midfield given how poor it's been set up for awhile now. New manager coming in who'll try to play a different style so we could see some improvements with the established guys like Hendrick, Hourihane and McCarthy under a more progressive manager compared to Mick.

O'Dowda is a funny inclusion as he's been bang average for awhile and he's often in and out of the Bristol team. Only started 17 of the 32 league games he played this season. Maybe Kenny likes his style of play and thinks he could be a useful player for him. I thought Kieran Sadlier might have been a better pick than O'Dowda though.

Obafemi getting the hard end of the stick I feel, has done more than Idah and Parrot this season and has played more and scored more than Long has for Southampton this season.

While he's done more than Idah and Parrot, scored more than Long, I feel he wouldn't have been competing with those lads for a spot in the squad. As they'll be more CFs while Obafemi is never gonna play that CF role for us.

Break the forwards down to where they'll be playing in a 4-3-3 and it's Idah, Parrot and Long who look to be competing for that CF role while Robinson, O'Dowda, Connolly and McClean will play out wide and feel that's where he's missed out.

• Advertisement

Maguire injured?

He won't be going with a 3-5-2 by the looks of that pick.

Randolph,
    Coleman, Duffy Egan, Stevens
    Doherty, Molumby, McCarthy, Hendrick, Connolly
    Long

Would be my guess for Bulgaria. Parrott to come on depending on how the game is going.

McGoldrick and maybe McClean comes in v Finland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

If i was Obafemi i'd be very pi55ed off.

While he's done more than Idah and Parrot, scored more than Long, I feel he wouldn't have been competing with those lads for a spot in the squad. As they'll be more CFs while Obafemi is never gonna play that CF role for us.

Break the forwards down to where they'll be playing in a 4-3-3 and it's Idah, Parrot and Long who look to be competing for that CF role while Robinson, O'Dowda, Connolly and McClean will play out wide and feel that's where he's missed out.
    Would have had Obafemi ahead of O'Dowda

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Maguire injured?

He won't be going with a 3-5-2 by the looks of that pick.

Randolph,
    Coleman, Duffy Egan, Stevens
    Robinson, Molumby, McCarthy, Hendrick, Connolly
    Long

Wold be my guess for Bulgaria. Parrott to come on depending on how the game is going.

McGoldrick and maybe McClean comes in v Finland

Doherty over Coleman for me.

Doherty over Coleman for me.

I changed it and put Doherty right midfield instead of Robinson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Midfield doesn't look too great. Not a fan of Hendrick but hopefully Kenny can get something out of him. Happy to see Molumby added.
    Would also like to have seen Knight, O'Shea and Obafemi in there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Idah and Parrot shouldn't be ahead of Obafemi.

surprised to see no Obafemi, Cullen and Knight

While I think Obafemi warranted a place in the squad, it was the case that Kenny was picking Idah and Parrott ahead of him for the 21s on a regular basis, so he obviously feels like they offer something else.

It's good too see the younger players come in. I would be worried by the lack of defenders, and would be very worried if Randolph picks up an injury.

Midfield - I'm surprised Cullen is gone, and also would've thought Jack Byrne would get in. Good to see McCarthy back. You'd imagine it was between Arter and Cullen for the last spot. I suppose I can see a case for Arter being picked given his good form for a team that won the playoffs, in comparison to Cullen playing in a team that was relegated.

I wouldn't have had Brady in the squad at all. Given his lack of game time, and how far off the pace he was when he last played for us, I think he needs to get playing regular first team football and showing some form before he's considered again.

Happy to see Idah, Connolly, and Parrott in the squad. While I don't think he'll start the three of them, it is a trio that Kenny got a great tune out of for the 21s.

Not long to go now until the first game. Really looking forward to seeing what team he picks and how we love up.

Yeah true I suppose.. I really dont expect Idah or Parrott to be involved all that much if at all, nor would I have expected Obafemi if he was called up. Its more so for the experience and to slowly blood them into the setup. I still think Obafemi warrants a spot.

Think Parrot might only be there as McGoldrick is injured and as the citizen said I'd have Obafemi in there ahead of O'Dowda to play on the right. O'Dowda has been bang average at Bristol and mostly plays on the left too.

Our lack of options out wide is really showing. We've no one that really plays on the right. O'Dowda and Robinson look like they might be competing for that RW spot and Robinson for me has always been better on the left where he can cut inside on his right and O'Dowda likes to cut in on his left when he's played out on the right.

Thought Sadlier or Ogbene would have been included to try out on the right. They both can play on either wing but both being right footed would be seen as better wingers on the right than Robinson or O'Dowda.

Plus where is Doherty going to play, he's already said he'll try incorporate both him and Coleman into the team so adds more question marks over the top heavy squad if Doherty plays RW and both Robinson and O'Dowda are subs against Bulgaria.
    pjohnson wrote: »
    Idah and Parrot shouldn't be ahead of Obafemi.

He's not going to play CF like Idah and Parrot. He's lost out to O'Dowda rather than those two who'll be competing with Long to see whose back up to McGoldrick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement