Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football and Covid 19

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And if Spurs hadn't fronted the bill, they wouldn't have known. With Hull refusing to get tested before last nights game, this has a potential for disaster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lower leagues at least are put on hold by Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Kiith wrote: »
    And if Spurs hadn't fronted the bill, they wouldn't have known. With Hull refusing to get tested before last nights game, this has a potential for disaster.

I wouldn't be surprised if the lower leagues at least are put on hold by Christmas.

How did that manage to happen?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Apparently West Ham offered to pay, and they rejected it. To be fair, seeing the Leyton Orient game being cancelled (which i assume it will be, not postponed), it's not much an incentive to agree to testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Fitz* wrote: »
    How did that manage to happen?

They are doing all the tests required under the Football League protocols, and felt under no obligation to do an extra test just because a Premier League outfit was rolling into town.

There may well have been an element of 'Yorkshire stubbornness when up against the London attitude' about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Kiith wrote: »

Both Manchester clubs refused to foot the bill it seems.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8761139/Top-Premier-League-clubs-odds-testing-Carabao-Cup-opponents.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Refused or didn't offer? There's a big difference and zero clarification in that article. Especially when quite a lot of EFL clubs are turning down free testing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If the Daily Mail is your only source, it's not a story

To be fair, Craig Hope has got some exclusives correct lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can't see most of the lower leagues teams surviving if they don't let fans back soon. They may have to void the season to allow the clubs put their players on furlough.

I was looking at our own Level System. Even at Level 1 we can only have 500 in a stadium. And we know the won't drop down from level 1 unless there is a vaccine. There ain't going to be a LOI season next year. WatchLOI ain't going to pay the bills. It will keep the bailiffs away but only for a while.

Lower league football was never going to survive this fully intact. The idea that fans would return to stadiums in a large scale regular way at some point this season was fallacy.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Did he pick it up in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Elimination strategy for the virus now a viable option

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

That is the second time he's tested positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,992 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ERG89 wrote: »
    That is the second time he's tested positive.

Don't think that's true.

He did a big high profile campaign and did fundraising for it back in March, but he didn't have it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Did he pick it up in Tallaght.

Possibly? He should have been more squareful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Zebra3 wrote: »

Unless they know the covid-19 status of every fan who attends and continue to track them for weeks afterwards, I'm curious what sort of meaningful results they could possibly seek to get out of this "experiment".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Strange one in League 2 today where the Cheltenham vs Grimsby match has been called off after a Grimsby player has tested positive, however the Bradford vs Stevenage match has gone ahead despite three Stevenage players testing positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Premier League clubs to vote on how to end season if coronavirus sees it cut short
    Premier League clubs will vote on Tuesday to decide how the season would be ended if it cannot be completed because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Clubs agreed in principle on the main points of action if it is cut short at their last meeting in August.

The wording of the new rule has been developed over the past few weeks.

Clubs will vote at a shareholders meeting on Tuesday and, if the motion is passed, it will be written into the Premier League rules.

Another vote would then take place at a future date on how many matches will need to have been played for the rules to be applied.

BBC Sport understands the range will be around two thirds to three quarters of matches played. If the season has not reached that agreed point then it would be voided.

Meanwhile, the issue of any bailout for the English Football League is not a specific proposal on the agenda for Tuesday's meeting, and there will be no vote.

BBC Sport has been told there will be a focus on what happens next, given the different financial picture facing clubs following the announcement about fans last week.

How might the rules work?
    If five games have been played and a new set of restrictions are introduced because of the coronavirus pandemic, then the league would not fall back on these plans.

If it got to the end of December and about 45% of the season had been played, then that is still not likely to be enough for the plans to kick in, and the season would be voided.

If the clubs agree that 66% of games is a sufficient number to fall back on the curtailment plans and the country then faces another lockdown, forcing football to be halted after 70% of the season has been played, there would be a set of rules to determine who would be crowned champions, who would finish in European qualification places and which teams would be relegated.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54331871

Few sports now struggling to deal with positive cases. The international break could prove pretty challenging for teams when players return.

The international break should not be going ahead whatsoever. Too many mixing of different bubbles and dreesing rooms, let alone the travelling from different countries to different continents. Europe to South America etc should have been put out of the question.

Salzburg not releasing any players for internationals.

https://twitter.com/karlmatchett/status/1312704331523776512?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Napoli are in quarantine too, they played Genoa last week and 17 Genoa players(11 played last weekend) tested positive for Covid this week. Genoa's game was postponed this weekend, Napoli meanwhile are still expected to play Juventus in Turin tonight but they haven't travelled to the game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

ERG89 wrote: »
    Napoli are in quarantine too, they played Genoa last week and 17 Genoa players(11 played last weekend) tested positive for Covid this week. Genoa's game was postponed this weekend, Napoli meanwhile are still expected to play Juventus in Turin tonight but they haven't travelled to the game.

They have 2 positive cases and the local medical authorities have told them not to travel. The Lega Seria A have told them that if the can field 13 players including a goal keeper then the match must be played. Juve have turned up at the stadium and announced a starting XI. Napoli haven't travelled.

The game has just now been officially abandoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Scotland squad hit - Armstrong positive, Tierney told to isolate.

Been alot of cases linked to International teams, Id imagine alot will test positive when they return to their clubs.

England v Scotland U19s game was abandoned today,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Football will be stopped again pretty soon I'd say

• Advertisement

International football needs to be scrapped for the time being. Completely unsustainable and while no players are suffering serious symptoms that has been documented. It is still a risk to their health. Players probably need to stay in bubbles with their clubs
    https://twitter.com/marcboal/status/1316023779001131010

Ronaldo (CR7 variant) has Covid 19

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Well with recent tests (and varied results when retested) as seen with Ireland perhaps we should say Cristiano tests positive for Covid.
    Following the positive case, the remaining players underwent new tests this Tuesday morning, all with a negative result, and are available to Fernando Santos for training this afternoon, in Cidade do Futebol.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/cristiano-ronaldo-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-1.4379820

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,533 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for Covid19, how many from Juventus now is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

wadacrack wrote: »
    International football needs to be scrapped for the time being. Completely unsustainable and while no players are suffering serious symptoms that has been documented. It is still a risk to their health. Players probably need to stay in bubbles with their clubs
    https://twitter.com/marcboal/status/1316023779001131010

Totally agree. There’s also an argument that European club tournaments should equally be suspended. As a fan I don’t want that but objectively speaking international football and European tournaments are the worst in terms of spreading the virus globally and among different people living and playing in different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Unless they devise a bubble system along the lines of the NBA (and keep it to one location), there’s absolutely no chance the Euros go ahead next year (unless they get the teams some sort of fast paced vaccine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

England's Nations League game v Iceland in doubt, because Iceland play Denmark beforehand and Denmark is now on a no-travel list that doesn't seem to have the 'elite sportsperson' exemption.

As per FIFA's new covid rules, clubs can now withdraw Danish players from international duty. Though ultimately the players are free to make their own decision and would have to isolate on return and thus miss matches. Players like Kaspar S, Vestegaard, Hjolberg would be the most high-profile Danes who'd have a decision to make. Swedish (Lindelöf) and Icelandic (Siggurdson) players would also be dragged in to it.
    Potential mess really.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54858614

• Advertisement

wadacrack wrote: »

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I'm thinking of a team like Chile who have World Cup qualifiers, and have 2 big players from the above clubs (Vidal & Alexis).
    I'd suspect they'll just ignore that Italian health authorities decision, and turn up and play for Chile anyway, but guess we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I'm thinking of a team like Chile who have World Cup qualifiers, and have 2 big players from the above clubs (Vidal & Alexis).
    I'd suspect they'll just ignore that Italian health authorities decision, and turn up and play for Chile anyway, but guess we'll see.

Some of the Serbian players had already reached Serbia before the decision was announced so they should be able to play in the playoff against Scotland. Kolerov and Milnkovic-Savic were two of them. Personally think that it's the wrong call for the international break this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭adaminho

It's some disgrace that friendlies are being played.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1326664754400645120

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Playing international football is just insane at this moment in time. There's so many different rules and factors to take into consideration and its going to be a cluster****.

Its all so surreal right now. Squads are being decimated and more players are getting sick. I wrote to a Finnish friend of mine to congratulate them beating France and he just said that it was hard to believe or get excited about given the circumstances.

Whatever about competitive fixtures, friendlies are needlessly dangerous.

The problem is that they are 'bought and paid for' games, supposed to take place earlier in the year.
    A TV station has already paid a football association a sum of money for 2 home friendlies this year. A sponsor has paid for jersey design, another for pitch-side advertising. Someone has paid naming rights for the MegaLectric Arena, with a guarantee of x games each year.
    If these terrible games don't go ahead then someone is on the hook for that money. The various FAs can't afford to return it, and the sponsors/tv companies aren't all in a position to write it all off because of the hit their business has taken this year.

For example, the English FA (who'd obviously be one of the better off ones) were apparently in a £1M hole to ITV alone if there'd been one less friendly than agreed this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

the sponsors/tv companies aren't all in a position to write it all off because of the hit their business has taken this year

Just on this point, not directed at you specifically but I've seen it mentioned before by others. Maybe I'm being a dope but I don't understand how tv companies have taken a hit this year.

Every single game is being televised which means more viewers tuning in at various times given the staggered start times which means more exposure for sponsors / advertisers.

I would have thought tv companies would be the only ones to benefit from having fans not at games as they now have a 100% captive audience.

What am I missing?

Just on this point, not directed at you specifically but I've seen it mentioned before by others. Maybe I'm being a dope but I don't understand how tv companies have taken a hit this year.

Every single game is being televised which means more viewers tuning in at various times given the staggered start times which means more exposure for sponsors / advertisers.

I would have thought tv companies would be the only ones to benefit from having fans not at games as they now have a 100% captive audience.

What am I missing?

I think the problem is that the missing 4 months are zero revenue, and they aren't made up for by having extra sport crammed into the 5 months of the year.

Think of lets say a sports/leisure goods manufacturer advertising campaign on Sky Sports. A spring campaign to sell you various spring items, them a summer campaign of shorts and sunglasses, then an autumn campaign with polo shirts and gloves.

The first two campaigns never happened, Sky didn't get that revenue because LeisureWear withdrew their advertising from Sky Sports. The autumn campaign happened but they didn't pay 3 times as much for it just because there was shedload of sport on. They paid their normal autumn amount. Net result, the extra games didn't claw back revenue.

• Advertisement

Playing international football is just insane at this moment in time. There's so many different rules and factors to take into consideration and its going to be a cluster****.

Its all so surreal right now. Squads are being decimated and more players are getting sick. I wrote to a Finnish friend of mine to congratulate them beating France and he just said that it was hard to believe or get excited about given the circumstances.

Agree, injuries are at an all time high atm and fatigue is clearly having an impact on the quality of games. 2nd half of Man City Liverpool dropped off significantly in quality.

Advertisement