Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

During covid 19 crisis

Options
  • 10-04-2020 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Good morning folks, hope everyone is safe and healthy. I have two queries tham I'm hoping contributors can help me answer.

Anybody having difficulty getting correct payments from department of social and family affairs. I had to self isolate due to covid 19 on instructions of my gp. I submitted the forms and got a letter from Dept that is was getting paid zero. No payment for first 6 days and they misread my form as only 1 week. Had to go to office in person and they apologised for error and asked me to get a new cert from gp as they could not locate original. Done that on Wednesday and resubmitted. On Mygovid today notified I was awarded 406 euro, 203 eur X 2 weeks. This is terrible as my employer is deducting the 350 eur from my wages. Any advice.
    On another matter, our son attends a fee paying school which has been closed since March 12th. The school is still Insisting on taking full fees right up until end of term, despite he is not there food etc.
    I would appreciate any advice as we are tightening finances as my wife has lost her job indefinitely.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You blundered by getting the gp to sign you off. You should have applied for the covid payment.
    As for your contract with the school - don't you have savings? ... I'd suggest looking into non fee-paying schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭boetstark

antix80 wrote: »
    You blundered by getting the gp to sign you off. You should have applied for the covid payment.
    As for your contract with the school - don't you have savings? ... I'd suggest looking into non fee-paying schools.

Thanks for reply. So I should have applied directly on Mygovid, I wish they told me that on Wednesday instead of sending me back to gp again.
    We are very happy with the school and thankfully can afford the fees. I just thought it was a bit mean taking money for food etc when pupils aren't in the school.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It probably is a bit mean but it's near the end of the term and they're probably not making significant savings from being closed. They may be honoring contracts like food suppliers.

Would it be an option for you to return to work and subsequently apply for covid payment by saying you need to stay home to look after kids? There's a forum on here where you'll get better advice than the rip off ireland forum (I'd disagree this is a rip off)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Everything is wrong here.

You applied for a for the wrong payment in the first place.

If your employer is paying you something, then you cannot apply for covid 19 payments. There is a different system for this whereby the gov will refund the employer up to €410 a week (I think this is the amount) if the employer keeps you on the books.

You need to talk to the employer

Advertisement