Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

According to Daniel McDonnell clubs were shocked to find how little the league was generating when the books were opened and it was laid out in front of them.
    About €1.5 million in revenue from sponsorship, TV money and UEFA solidarity money. Desperately low stuff.

Do you believe any educated club finance officer will accept figures put down by the FAI??? They have been cooking books for years to ensure JD and his merry men could stay in power. Solidarity payments are not for the FAI and should be distributed amongst clubs to invest in their youth setups, its not part of league/FAI income....again something the FAI forgot to do. The simple fact that TV money was not explicitly for the LOI makes it is extremely hard to see what was paid for the LOIs share, again a wonderful thing to allow JD keep the money inhouse. All in all €1.5 million is a figure...reality is something different.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Clubs should just be happy with the free exposure. The league needs to improve drastically for TV money to become an issue.

https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/news/sse-airtricity-league-tv-pilot-launched/id-2751

The Pilot scheme for LOI failed with Cork and Dundalk last season. The standard in the league this season doesnot seem good to me. Was at two Premier Division games and thought both were of quite poor quality

Free exposure would be fine, however the FAI were cashing in behind clubs backs for years by hiding the LOI deal behind the national teams TV deal.
    As for the pilot failing....for this we have no proof. Any money is better than no money.......again I am lead to believe that the fact that RTE sold the international rights and hold the national rights to the LOI mean without their OK no streaming pilot can be continued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Do you believe any educated club finance officer will accept figures put down by the FAI??? They have been cooking books for years to ensure JD and his merry men could stay in power. Solidarity payments are not for the FAI and should be distributed amongst clubs to invest in their youth setups, its not part of league/FAI income....again something the FAI forgot to do. The simple fact that TV money was not explicitly for the LOI makes it is extremely hard to see what was paid for the LOIs share, again a wonderful thing to allow JD keep the money inhouse. All in all €1.5 million is a figure...reality is something different.
    The TV money figure was €250,000.
    UEFA solidarity money is given to every league in Europe that doesn't have a club in the group stages.
    UEFA youth money is a separate figure.
    It's about €800,000 or €40,000 per club here which doesn't go far in running four youth teams.
    Again according to Daniel McDonnell clubs accepted these figures.

Do you think the league is turning over more than €1.5 million per year?

I don't and the clubs don't either.

The TV money figure was €250,000.
    UEFA solidarity money is given to every league in Europe that doesn't have a club in the group stages.
    UEFA youth money is a separate figure.
    It's about €800,000 or €40,000 per club here which doesn't go far in running four youth teams.
    Again according to Daniel McDonnell clubs accepted these figures.

Do you think the league is turning over more than €1.5 million per year?

I don't and the clubs don't either.

Again how much of the €250k TV money was ever seen by LOI clubs??? Where did it go??
    €40k is better than a kick in the jacksies if you are running a club in a league where the champions get €100k. Has this money been recieved by clubs in full yet, as the FAI had a habbit of holding onto it for a very long time if at all paying it out???
    Clubs had to accept the figures.....however dont forget that the FAI and co are still undergoing investigations for financial issues....therefore I would say if you had a clever club they would accept the figure subject to the outcome of investigations.
    €1.5 million turnover.....I doubt they were turning over €500k, they did nothing to promote the brand or product. I dont trust the people who ran the FAI, have dealth with them on a professional level on more than one occasion and the company I currently work for ran a mile and invested their money in Irish Rugby, my previous employer made a very lucrative offer to the FAI only to be told.....sorry JD has no time to talk, he only deals with company X when it comes to your offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/1232007681457692674

What is Vinny Perth on about?

LOI doesn't get much media & I have seen little criticism of their squad

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/status/1232007681457692674

What is Vinny Perth on about?

LOI doesn't get much media & I have seen little criticism of their squad

The local (so called journalist) was Gerry Malone...had a pop at Peak6, the model and claimed fans were not renewing season tickets due to Oriel being dated. As ever he wants his bread buttered on both sides does good ould Gerry.

Age related comments......no idea who the so called pundit is and in which context they were made. However it seems they have hit a note with Vinny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

The local (so called journalist) was Gerry Malone...had a pop at Peak6, the model and claimed fans were not renewing season tickets due to Oriel being dated. As ever he wants his bread buttered on both sides does good ould Gerry.

Age related comments......no idea who the so called pundit is and in which context they were made. However it seems they have hit a note with Vinny.

I am surprised he is taking offence with that journalist tbf. He seems extremely outdated on a number of issues , judging by his twitter account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Dolan the agent/"journo"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Rovers 1-0 up in Waterford already, own goal from Adimayo.

wadacrack wrote: »
    I am surprised he is taking offence with that journalist tbf. He seems extremely outdated on a number of issues , judging by his twitter account

He is indeed outdated.....however he is such a fool that he could be dangerous for the club. Writing one week negative about the club in local papers and then at the first game of the season doing interviews telling them how wonderful they are.

• Advertisement

Hadn’t seen it live but from the SR highlights, the ref must have had money on Harps.

Why is Pat’s and Derry City off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Why is Pat’s and Derry City off?

Waterlogged pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched Burkes 5 goals on the telly and amazing how many of them were rubbish or ropey finishes.

But I suppose It doesn't matter how they go in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The three things guaranteed in life are death, taxes and former players scoring against Sligo Rovers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rovers 1-0 up in Waterford already, own goal from Adimayo.

Couldn't ask for much better really. Game over in 20 minutes and all sorts of rested players and debuts given.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sligo fairly poor, think they could be in trouble, need to beef up the midfield, caught in possession a lot. Bohs should have put it to bed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Not having a go bit just saw the attendance at Dalymount was just over a thousand.

I know its Monday and Sligo fans can't travel but what happened to the 2500 season tickets they sold?

Great work been done at bohs but I'm shocked thats their attendance for only the 2nd home game of the season

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

tastyt wrote: »
    Not having a go bit just saw the attendance at Dalymount was just over a thousand.

I know its Monday and Sligo fans can't travel but what happened to the 2500 season tickets they sold?

Great work been done at bohs but I'm shocked thats their attendance for only the 2nd home game of the season

42.ie? It's a typo. 3000 at least. Full Jodi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

42.ie? It's a typo. 3000 at least. Full Jodi.

Ya thats where I saw that. Was very suprised .

Dopes

We usually have strong attendances at games in Dublin whichever day they are on. Tonight was the first game of the season that a lot of our fans based in the East have been able to attend since the first 2 were on Friday nights making travel back to the north west impossible.

• Advertisement

Oat23 wrote: »
    We usually have strong attendances at games in Dublin whichever day they are on. Tonight was the first game of the season that a lot of our fans based in the East have been able to attend since the first 2 were on Friday nights making travel back to the north west impossible.

Was a great crowd from Sligo tonight in fairness. Long drive home.

Dundalk & Rovers are so far ahead of the rest.
    They'll both drop very few points. It is why Friday will be huge. I would expect Rovers to be favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

MD1990 wrote: »
    I would expect Rovers to be favourites.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against 11 men (hopefully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

2,859 official. Twardek is some signing. He's outrageously good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Dolan the agent/"journo"?

I was wondering who it was too. Does sound like Dolan

City were poor tonight but i thought McGlade was good. Flores goal was really good, and It was xxxxxxx cold in Oriel.

Loi Monday or midweek matches should be better organized,
    Dundalk, Harps, Derry and Sligo in one pot, 4 Dublin clubs in another and the Munster club s play each other. How hard would be to organize?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork City are going be relegated .

Fan owned club means no financial trouble my bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

NIMAN wrote: »
    Watched Burkes 5 goals on the telly and amazing how many of them were rubbish or ropey finishes.

But I suppose It doesn't matter how they go in.

1 deflection and one scrappy one,

the other 3 were good finishes...

NOw Jack Byrnes goal was sloppy goalkeeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm sure there is well meaning volunteers there but they are out of their depth. The issue with the tax bill in particular was a problem of their own making

Hold your horses. You haven't seen Sligo Rovers yet. At least 2 of the teams you've lost to so far have been ones expected to be at the top of the league. We've lost to Pat's & Harps and looked hopeless in both games.

It's a big matchday for both of us this weekend. You're home to Harps and we are home to Waterford. Another loss will be a big blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

deisedude wrote: »
    I'm sure there is well meaning volunteers there but they are out of their depth. The issue with the tax bill in particular was a problem of their own making

From the outside looking in and reading bits on the Cork forum it seems that the BOM have a little too much freedom when it comes to running things and are accountable to no one.

Also gotta wonder why Hemmings bailed Cork out with the sale of the sell on clauses, surely he could have left them go to the wall and then try to come in.

• Advertisement

Caufield has a bit to answer.
    They signed far too many players for the 2018 season. 3 RB's among others.
    Sheppard probably on a big contract as well after Dundalk were interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

1 deflection and one scrappy one,

the other 3 were good finishes...

NOw Jack Byrnes goal was sloppy goalkeeping

I was probably counting Byrne's as one of Burkes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hold your horses. You haven't seen Sligo Rovers yet. At least 2 of the teams you've lost to so far have been ones expected to be at the top of the league. We've lost to Pat's & Harps and looked hopeless in both games.

It's a big matchday for both of us this weekend. You're home to Harps and we are home to Waterford. Another loss will be a big blow.

How has Garry Buckley played so far?

Re CCFC - I see no green shoots whatsoever. We are a desperately poor side. Lose to Harps Friday and the atmosphere goes toxic.

For some reason our current board are beyond reproach. They are as much to blame as anyone for the mess we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

bot43 wrote: »

Re CCFC - I see no green shoots whatsoever. We are a desperately poor side. Lose to Harps Friday and the atmosphere goes toxic.

For some reason our current board are beyond reproach. They are as much to blame as anyone for the mess we are in.

The current board are doing a brilliant job! The previous board is too blame not the current! After the mess the old board left us in the current board saved the club with just 2 hours too spare. We’re paying revenue bills from 2017 still so I fail to see how people that weren’t on the board are too blame?

Hopefully the Grovemore Ltd take over happens sooner rather then later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

I have rarely, if ever, seen a worse LOI side. They remind me of our 2012 side, completely incapable of basic defending.

When Dundalk's current successful spell ends (and it will end), I hope it will not be so sudden.

Football can be cruel on fans, and Cork's fans have been let down by those running the club.

The current board are doing a brilliant job! The previous board is too blame not the current! After the mess the old board left us in the current board saved the club with just 2 hours too spare. We’re paying revenue bills from 2017 still so I fail to see how people that weren’t on the board are too blame?

What's the general mood among some Cork fans regarding a possible takeover bid, only one I've seen come out against it is John O'Sullivan, or at least he was before Sundays meeting

I’m not sure how much “the board” had to do with it.

These guys have been at the helm for a year and our chairman was on this much vilified previous board.

Why did the current lot allow it come within hours of the abyss?

Fact is their hands are filthy too. But for some reason they are seen as the whitest of knights.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against 11 men (hopefully).

They were very good against 11 against Bohs.

Bohs actually improved with 10 men.

What's the general mood among some Cork fans regarding a possible takeover bid, only one I've seen come out against it is John O'Sullivan, or at least he was before Sundays meeting

Hard to say. Some seem to think the club is worth €1m and think any takeover should be at least this.

Others seem to be happy with us just existing as long as we are fan owned. The problem I see with that is we will cease to even exist as a 1st division club.

Then there are those who feel the gamble of the takeover had to be done.

Personally I’m for option 3. But foras must still continue to exist for when the plug is pulled and some other investor is not found. Perhaps if a success is made of this another guy is easier to find.

One way or other there will be plenty classic ccfc fan I fighting along the way.

• Advertisement

In the circles I move in it seems to be a case of sell up, keep FORAS in the back ground as was originally the intention, and nominate a member of FORAS to sit on the new CCFC board. Hemmings/Risdale/CEO to assume the running of the club

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Cork are not as bad as the Galway team in 2011 or the Kilkenny team of...1998/2001? Before you get to the bottom of the FD through the years. There have been some very bad sides...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,479 ✭✭✭pgj2015

if cork could get a good striker in they probably wont do that bad, they have a good keeper, two good wingers the lad on loan from arsenal is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

pgj2015 wrote: »
    if cork could get a good striker in they probably wont do that bad, they have a good keeper, two good wingers the lad on loan from arsenal is decent.

he conceded 9 goals in 2 games

was very poor on friday

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

green shoots would be the crowds we get abt 4000 at the shells game yes thatll fall over results but theres some clubs in the league barely get a 1000 people at it

also nice stadium no issue there

a takeover would be good and id vote for it cant be worse than the way we are now

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

so we werent paying tax for a few years that what your saying why was that ?

ya this board saved the club ill give them that

now its time amateurs fair play they saved it were moved on and leave a takeover happen -turners cross wont be sold obviously its only the name thats for sale wondering what assets there is for some to think its worth a million cant think of any as they own nothing

• Advertisement

he conceded 9 goals in 2 games

was very poor on friday

When you've got a **** defence in front of you then there's only so much you can do. Goals highlights from the Dundalk game and seems he couldn't do much for the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I’m not sure how much “the board” had to do with it.

These guys have been at the helm for a year and our chairman was on this much vilified previous board.

Why did the current lot allow it come within hours of the abyss?

Fact is their hands are filthy too. But for some reason they are seen as the whitest of knights.

Problems go back a few years, the current board aren't responsible at all and they have been 100 times more transparent than the previous one. It was within 'hours' of the abyss because it's debt that was always being chased. It's funny how it's supposedly classic to have ccfc infighting but it's also 'classic' that a lot of it comes from misplaced anger. Saying the current board are as much to blame as anyone is total nonsense in fairness. The facts about the tax are there to see. Who would want to serve on a board with stuff like this?

Unpaid tax, off the books loans, it’s mental the stuff the board inherited and hopefully the fact “our club” was 2 hours away from dieing again will show people we need professional help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Sligo fairly poor, think they could be in trouble, need to beef up the midfield, caught in possession a lot. Bohs should have put it to bed earlier.

We're in serious trouble.
    Just signed De Vires from the Japanese second tier. Had a decent goal scoring record.
    Didn't work out for him in Japan. Those kinds of hail Mary's are where we are at.
    Just need to be solid at the back. Forget about 5-3-2. We need 4 banks of two and be hard to break down.
    Hopefully we start picking up points soon.
    Waterford at home next is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rovers throwing the kitchen sink at it. Desmond must have told them to spend the €3m.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement