Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Duran on for extra time and I'm putting a few quid on a yellow card.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

John McGinn is elite.

McGinn MOTM. He was an absolute hero tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

Stream only worked at half time.

Im sick i missed it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

22 attempts to 2. Man City had 0 attempts 2nd half.

They couldn't get out of their half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Need to play every game like that. Excellent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

Un - feckin - Real!!!!

I can't get over how composed they were, 94th minute and casually passing it around at the back. I'm just not used to this as a Villa fan!

For me, so many great performances but Pau Torres my MotM, just seemed to snuff out any single glimmer they had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Composed. Aggressive. Freeplay. Confidence. Thoughtful. The entire game. Beautiful

Hard to believe this game wasnt on uk tv

5 points clear of 5th place now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

That might be the best Villa performance i have ever seen. Totally dominate from the first minute to the last, against the best team in the world.

And Leon Bailey is turning into a top player i cant believe im writing that.

He was the best player on the park tonight and he deserves the credit.

• Advertisement

I think how the tempo ramped up in the 2nd half was the most impressive part.

Not an inch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Unbelievable win. What a performance. The goal itself may have been lucky, but we were far better than City. It was like we were playing against a team that was down to 10 men.

This is exactly it. It was like we came out for second half and said 'ok what have you got? Oh! Is that it? Ok, we are just going to go and win it then'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭pavb2

Immense performance tonight especially considering that Ramsey, Moreno, Cash and Diaby will be fresh for the Arsenal game.

Youd wonder how much is left in the legs for arsenal game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Every game was shown live on Premier Sports via the red button. Amazon had the rights in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

What a performance. I can't remember too many teams dominating a City team like in recent memory.

A small bit more quality in the final third and we could have had another couple of goals.

Every Villa player was on their "A" game tonight. It was a great watch.

You've options in Ramsey, Moreno and Diaby to freshen things up too for Arsenal and I'd be confident the quality wouldn't drop a bit with any or all of those lads starting games.

Fingers crossed we can match those intensity levels again vs Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Was at the work Christmas party this evening. Spent most of the night checking the score. Just got home and watched the highlights. What a performance. Gutted that I missed it. UTV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

14 home wins in a row I think it is now

Bailey has turned things around this season. Pau Torres coming into his own now after being criticized at the start of the season. McGinn being MOTM in half our matches. Kamara being an unsung hero in many ways with Luiz taking most of the media's plaudits because they want to link him away from the club (not happening this season), Konsa 100% deserving his England call up due to his great performances, can't remember our bench ever looking this strong... and that's not even mentioning the likes of Watkins, Emi Martinez or Tielemans who has now worked his way into the starting line-up and is making a difference.

Any talk of winning the league is crazy and the likes of Man Utd screwing up in Europe is not helping the co-efficient and as a result the likelihood for a top 5 to go to the CL but we are very much so in a battle for champions league qualification this year. No idea how it will progress considering the likes of Utd, Newcastle (game in hand vs Everton tomorrow) etc are still so close despite their misfortunes this season so far but it does feel great to be a Villa fan after a year of Unai.

Arsenal even with their extra day of rest will not be looking forward to coming to Villa park on the weekend.

Interestingly there have been almost zero links to potential january transfers too and we are only about 3 weeks away from the window opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Steviemak7

Superb performance from Villa last night. Well done. A club and team on the up.

Next up Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Kept waiting for the point when City rallied and you regretted having not scored more when the chances were there. Never remotely happened.

So, just in case this happens again (over Christmas there will be more days like last night) , if you have Amazon prime/Video, use a VPN to put your location in the UK and you can get all the games via Amazon prime video.

I doubted Emerys team selection last night but it was a master stroke to play Carlos up again Haaland. He totally dominated him with his strength.

But my question is now, why can't we bring the same level of performance to our away games?

Because if we could, we would walk the top 4, and would actually be in with a shout of a title challenge.

What is it away from home that changes how we operate so much?

Im sick

• Advertisement

3 of us going to arsenal game , looking 2 more tickets if anybody has.

It wont let me buy more online and ticket shop wont sell him any when he rang because he hasnt been at home game in recent years.

Newcastle and Spurs both losing makes this a great week for us. It means that, imo, we basically have a free shot at Arsenal. Lose and we havent lost any ground to those behind us (apart from maybe United). Draw is a bonus. And a win would be dreamland.

Yeah, great results for us. Hopefully pulling away a bit to be in with a good chance of Champions League

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hopefully a repeat of Wednesday’s result today, I think we just need to take our chances

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Alonzo Mosley

Liverpool, possibly our biggest game today in years

oops Liverpool trailing ..... can't type so much anticipation !!!

Boll*x

I don't know how good or terrible Utd are and things could still change drastically but them losing at home to Bournemouth puts our result away to them in perspective Iraola has turned that team around and they might catch out a lot of teams whose fans will be expecting an easy result. Afterall they also beat palace, Sheff Utd and Newcastle in the last 5 games, keep their lead today and villa will be the only non W in 5 for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm moreso looking at it with delight incase United somehow get their sh*t together in 2024.

That was my original feeling too. Honestly the United fixture (Dec 27th) was the one this month that out of all of them I wanted us to win. They should be challenging for top 4/5 while people would have accepted us not winning against City / Arsenal.

Utd now play Bayern, Liverpool, West Ham and Villa in their next 4 so it could be a long Christmas for them if they don't as you put it get their sh*t together but in 2023

unchanged starting line-up

Suppose it isn't a shock as he will be hoping for a repeat performance but if they are tiring we know Unai is not afraid to make subs and the likes of Diaby, Ramsey etc should see game time.

Arsenal are essentially full strength

Geeeettt innnnm

Name. On. The. Trophy.

Gonna be a looong game but damn it's good to be a Villa fan right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Brilliant move for the goal, and McGinn just gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Panrich

We're looking very leggy. I'd bring Diaby on at half time. Moreno for Digne? Maybe Cash as well for one of the midfielders and go 3 at the back.

Yeah arsenal grew into that second half. Bailey looks injures. Assumed diaby will be on for him. I would wait 10/15 mins for other changes. But yeah, moreno and/or Ramsey would be good options.

• Advertisement

Cash, Diaby and co have definitely added a bit more energy. Now on comes Moreno as all the subs are done

Advertisement