Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunderland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bent and Keane could make for a dream partnership for your lot if it were to happen.

Is Jones on the way out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

That_Guy wrote: »
    Is Jones on the way out?

It's hard to know to be honest mate.

The source I have mentioned in my post about Hutton claimed three weeks ago that we were trying to sign a player who in the short term would replace Jones until we could get a long term replacement in the Summer and that most Sunderland fans wouldn't be happy with the short term signing, he wouldn't say who the player was but did say that he had played in the Carling Cup Semi-Final. It turns out that we since made an offer for Benjani who has gone on to have difficulty with his medical. I have no reason to doubt this source as he has been spot on with absolutely everything regarding transfers that he has posted in the past so I have no reason to doubt that if we did get the Benjani deal done that Jones would have left. As things stand now though, it seems as if he'll be staying until at least the Summer.

To answer your question in short, unfortunately I think that it's inevitable that Jones is on the way out. But when will it happen? I don't think even Bruce nor the hierarchy at SAFC know the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

I won't be at all surprused is Hutton arrives at the SOL.
    Bruce is a big fan of him.
    With the failure to sign Figueroa I think there's news that ye'll be venturing in for another signing.

Jones won't leave I don't think.
    Bejani move definitely off?

Doocey wrote: »
    Bejani move definitely off?

He's definitely failed his medical anyway.

I'd imagine that it's definitely off considering we won't be able to get a significant amount taken off the fee as we only offered £500,000 in the first place.

Unfortunate as he'd have been a better option than Campbell as third choice if Jones had of stayed.

According to reports Beye will be a Sunderland player before the deadline.
    My brother isn't keen on him but says he'll do until ye find a proper young ravaging full-back.
    If Beye goes, ye'll have done well ;)

• Advertisement

According to reports Beye will be a Sunderland player before the deadline.
    My brother isn't keen on him but says he'll do until ye find a proper young ravaging full-back.
    If Beye goes, ye'll have done well ;)

As far as I know, we're lining up deals for both Beye and Hutton in case one of them doesn't go through. We won't sign two of them though as we have Bardsley as cover with one of those two mentioned becoming first choice right back.

To be honest I think Bruce prefers Hutton, he's younger and Bruce has been keen on him for a while. Spurs only seem willing to do a loan deal for him though, whereas it's certainly possible to get Beye on a permanent deal.

Either way, we'll only be signing one of them so it will be interesting to see how it pans out, at this moment in time though, I'd reckon it'll be Hutton.

On a side note, does your brother post on here? It would be good to get another Sunderland fan on board and posting on this Sunderland thread.

Al-Muhammadi, 'The Egyptian Ronaldo/Beckham' as he is know in his homeland has signed for Sunderland for £2m.

We had him on trial in the Summer and he apparently played very well in the African Cup of Nations.

He can ply at RB/RW and is expected to play RW with Hutton at RB.

Very good signing IMO, I'm happy with that.

Al-Muhammadi, 'The Egyptian Ronaldo/Beckham' as he is know in his homeland has signed for Sunderland for £2m.

We had him on trial in the Summer and he apparently played very well in the African Cup of Nations.

He can ply at RB/RW and is expected to play RW with Hutton at RB.

Very good signing IMO, I'm happy with that.

That didn't happen did it?

That didn't happen did it?

Unfortunately not.

It was just another case of SSN announcing that deals are completed before they actually are 100% sure.

Unfortunately not.

It was just another case of SSN announcing that deals are completed before they actually are 100% sure.

They've a habit of that of late.

Ye'll get him in the summer though.
    Is Benjani still lurching under the covers?

• Advertisement

They've a habit of that of late.

Ye'll get him in the summer though.
    Is Benjani still lurching under the covers?

They have and it's getting very, very frustrating. They used to be the most credible source around but now they're nothing more than glamourised Daily Rags.

Yeah I think we'll definitely get him in the Summer, along with Figuroea who only signed a new contract in January to get a release clause of £8m inserted.

Benjani deal has been completed now mate, all done and dusted. A decent back up for our front two and perhaps now that Kenwyne will have some real competition for his place he might up his game, although to be fair, he was excellent last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Was at the match yesterday, Another terrible display to add to the pile.

The first half was relegation material football from Sunderland, they couldn't pass the ball, crosses were poor and went nowhere, Corners rarely beat the 1st man. It was just all round confusion and a severe lack of Confidence.

Things picked up in the 2nd half but it was still not good enough, even given the fact that Bent was onside that time i don't think Sunderland done enough to deserve a win.

I havn't heard any news on Henderson's injury, but they could do without him being out. Hutton looked good on the attack, and Jones had a decent shift. Obviously he got the goal, and his mazy run deserved to go in, but other than that he fall's down anytime anyone touches him and lost more than he won in the air.

Got talking to Quinn in Newcastle airport this morning. He was fairly upset with the first half display, as anyone involved should be. He said he reckons they done enough to win it but things didn't go their way. He confirmed to me that Liverpool tried to get Jones for nothing (now i didn't dig into that, so not sure if nothing meant 0 or a paltry amount. Also he mentioned the fact Daryl Murphy scored inside a minute for Ipswich, he reckons that the Championship is his level and that he will get a good return there.

Cana has moved to Galatasaray

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/8802185.stm

He was a good player early on for Sunderland, he got the armband and was the type of player who deserved it. For me though he was picking up too many bans and having him and cattermole in the centre together was a liability as much as when it worked it worked very well.

Once they replace him it will be a good move for Sunderland, Reid or Richardson could even move full time into the centre. Will see what Bruce does in the market first anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Just wonderin what the situation is with Tainio, is he out of contract? Theres been talk of him training with Leeds, can anyone back this up?
    He'd be a massive signing for us

Mensah on loan for another season is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

Onouha signed on a season-long loan today.

Kenwyne's expected to join Stoke for £9m.

Welbeck expected to join on loan.
    Once they replace him it will be a good move for Sunderland, Reid or Richardson could even move full time into the centre. Will see what Bruce does in the market first anyways.

Richardson has signed a new contract under the agreement that he'll be our first choice LB.

Reid won't have much of an impact this season IMO, however, he definitely won't be played as a CM at all. Cattermole and Riveros will be our first choice CM pairing.

Mensah on loan for another season is expected to be completed by the end of the week.

Onouha signed on a season-long loan today.

Kenwyne's expected to join Stoke for £9m.

Welbeck expected to join on loan.

Richardson has signed a new contract under the agreement that he'll be our first choice LB.

Reid won't have much of an impact this season IMO, however, he definitely won't be played as a CM at all. Cattermole and Riveros will be our first choice CM pairing.

I agree that will be the first choice centre midfield pairing,

but Cattermole is not going to be available for them all, am hoping he can get a look in for an England squad at some stage, he is exactly the type of player they need.

I agree that will be the first choice centre midfield pairing,

but Cattermole is not going to be available for them all, am hoping he can get a look in for an England squad at some stage, he is exactly the type of player they need.

I hope so, but I think Cattermole needs to have at least 6 months of injury free top performances to get a sniff of a look in with England.

I think Jordan Henderson will get a look in with the Senior side before Cattermole does, to be honest.

My predicted line-up for tomorrow:
    Mignolet

Onouha Mensah Bramble Richardson

Al-Muhammadi Cattermole Henderson Steed

Bent Campbell

Ha'waaaaaaaaaay!

Bang on with the team,

Pity about the result, it is definitely 2 points lost and i think the blame has to be with Cattermole,

Bruce really needs to sit down and talk to the lad, he is a great talent, has the attitude but he undoes it all with his lack of discipline. He needs to calm down and know when enough is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

Bang on with the team,

Pity about the result, it is definitely 2 points lost and i think the blame has to be with Cattermole,

Bruce really needs to sit down and talk to the lad, he is a great talent, has the attitude but he undoes it all with his lack of discipline. He needs to calm down and know when enough is enough.

I agree about Cattermole. The fouls and yellows were sloppy but fully deserved. He'll need to work on that area of his game.

I thought Sunderland controlled the game well for 80 minutes. There was energy, good passing and workrate. Birmingham rarely threatened. I thought Sunderland could have struggled in this area with so many new signings. Thankfully that wasn't the case.

Mensah was a rock in the centre of defence. Mensah and Bramble could be a solid pairing.

Zigic was a constant threat. His towering presence caused havoc in the Sunderland box. That's when the eleventh man would have made a massive difference. Birmingham deserved a draw in the end, but it could have been so much more if Cattermole kept his composure and didn't get sent off.

Overall the signs are encouraging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

How did the new man play, Al-Muhammadi?? Any good. I assume he played on the wing. I didn't see the game myself and just curios. Thanks

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    How did the new man play, Al-Muhammadi?? Any good. I assume he played on the wing. I didn't see the game myself and just curios. Thanks

Yes, he played on the right-wing. He was very good, IMO.

It was his first Premier League game, and he was constantly looking to beat his man (which he did a number of times) and whip in a cross. He's full of pace and energy and has a terrific leap on him which helped him win a number of Mignolet's kick-outs.

All I can criticse him for is that sometimes instead of looking up and picking out a simple pass to a team mate a couple of yards away, he just hoofed the ball forward with his back to goal.

The signs are very, very encouraging from Ahmed, and I feel he'll be a terrific asset.

Have to say i was a bit annoyed with Steve Bruce and his comments about the ref after yesterdays game.

He was saying how the ref has only been in the game 4 years, and that if refs are going to be fast tracked they really need to be exceptional.

I'm presuming by saying this he felt Cattermole was unlucky to be sent off, but not from what i saw on Motd, the first was a yellow card, especially seems as though he kicked the ball away, and as for the 2nd yellow, some more experienced refs might have even gave a red.

I know Bruce is not going to come out and criticise Cattermole, i wouldn't agree with that, but i do hope he has done so in the dressing room, in front of the other players. Sunderland set a record for sending off's in a Premier League season last year with 9, they need to sort out the discipline - it is costing them points. Yesterday was 2 points dropped.

I've been told by a very, very reliable source on RTG that the N'Zogbia signing is only a matter of days away.

According to him, all we need to do is agree a fee as N'Zogbia doesn't want to go to Birmingham or Stoke (who have also enquired) and wants to come to Sunderland to link up with Bruce and his former team-mates Cattermole and Bramble. He said his only slight worry would be Marseille who have expressed an interest, but he reckons N'Zogbia is now settled in England so they should't pose a problem.

Another source, who's work-mate is actually the brother of the Wigan assitant manager has said this about the N'Zogbia deal:
    Right just spoke to the lad at work and he's spoke to his brother last night about the N'Zogbia. The main points are:

1) N'Zogbia has been trying to engineer a move to Sunderland. Despite interest from other clubs, he wants to come here.

2) Cattermole and Bramble have apparently unsettled him by sending him texts such as "Wish you were here" and just general taunting.

3) Wigan seem pretty adamant they won't sell for any less than £10 million, but we all know what happened with Cattermole.

4) The lad expects the deal to go through with SAFC.

5) John Benson has been onvolved with all these deals at some level and this, as explained in previous posts, is the main reason he left/was pushed out of Wigan.

Just passing on the latest.

He'd be an absolutely fantastic signing, IMO. He's just the type of player we need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭King John V

I think N'Zogbia would be a class signing. I'm sure Wigan will love Sunderland by the end of this transfer window :D

Apart from fairly weak rumours mentioning Crouch and Bellamy, I wonder does Bruce have any plans to bring in an experienced replacement for Jones?

I have to admit, at first I was surprised to see him sold, as he offered something different to Bent and Campbell. On a good day he was being compared to Drogba; but sadly those days didn't come often enough. Bruce made no secret of his frustration with Jones' inconsistency and he also seems to be building a solid, hard working team not built around any one player. The lads on RTG said he was on £60,000 a week (a good wedge of money taken off the wage bill) so I can understand why the deal happened. Hopefully this is paving the way for one more quality signing (N'Zogbia or Ireland please :D).

I'm looking forward to seeing Riveros in the team once he gets settled. I think he could become one of the premier league's transfer bargains of the season.

I always enjoy the buzz around the transfer window. You log onto RTG and there's pages of 'a mate of mine spotted <next level signing> at Newcastle airport/outside the SoL' and the ITKs who only come out of the woodwork when the papers mention a link. 2 more weeks of speculation.

Predicted team for tomorrow:
    Mignolet

Onouha Bramble Da-Silva Richardson

Al-Muhammadi Henderson Riveros Malbranque

Bent Campbell

Score prediction: 1-1

Newcastle 1-2 Sunderland

11 years ago today :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-_NOH2X05w

Gyan deal is basically done, according to the top ITK on RTG.

This lad is always right, so you can take this as being 100% correct:
    Fee agreed etc for Gyan but being held up at the moment 100 % fact.

He'll be a fantastic addition :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

I've been told by a very, very reliable source on RTG that the N'Zogbia signing is only a matter of days away.

According to him, all we need to do is agree a fee as N'Zogbia doesn't want to go to Birmingham or Stoke (who have also enquired) and wants to come to Sunderland to link up with Bruce and his former team-mates Cattermole and Bramble. He said his only slight worry would be Marseille who have expressed an interest, but he reckons N'Zogbia is now settled in England so they should't pose a problem.

Another source, who's work-mate is actually the brother of the Wigan assitant manager has said this about the N'Zogbia deal:

He'd be an absolutely fantastic signing, IMO. He's just the type of player we need.

Move to brum has collapsed, looks like you may be correct! Great player while he's happy to play for you. Supersulk othewise. Really looks like a world beater sometimes...

• Advertisement

M5 wrote: »
    Move to brum has collapsed, looks like you may be correct! Great player while he's happy to play for you. Supersulk othewise. Really looks like a world beater sometimes...

Aye, Birmingham have released a statement saying ''the goalposts moved'', that reads to me like another club (hopefully us) have come in with a serious bid at the last minute and he has decided he wants to go elsewhere (again, hopefully us).

Aye, I know what you mean about the sulking, but he seems to have matured slightly since his move to Wigan. Got to hand it to Sir Bobby (RIP) he really did know a player when he saw one.

I'd love to sign him, as he's exactly the type of player we need. Him and Gyan and I'd be very happy with our transfer business.

Advertisement