Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2020

Options
  • 09-10-2019 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭

Household Benefits package – eligibility to be broadened for people under age 70 to allow for another adult to reside in the household
    Anyone have any more info on this - is the other adult supposed to be in receipt of benefits also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

zell12 wrote: »
    Anyone have any more info on this - is the other adult supposed to be in receipt of benefits also?

I can’t see any more info on it

http://m.welfare.ie/en/pdf/Budget2020_FactSheet_with_Header.pdf

It’s a bit vague. I might ring tomorrow if I’m not busy, see if any of the staff know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Welfare changes don't usually kick in for months after a budget so I'm sure the information will be available soon, it hasn't even been a week.

Caranica wrote: »
    Welfare changes don't usually kick in for months after a budget so I'm sure the information will be available soon, it hasn't even been a week.

This is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

From Regina's Dáil speech:-

Household Benefits
    The Department provides a household benefits package which includes a gas or electricity allowance and a free television licence. For people under 70 years of age, they may not receive these benefits because another adult – usually an adult child – resides under their roof. I am removing this condition in Budget 2020. By doing this, we are recognising and supporting the role played by these families in providing a home to other adults, usually adult children. It provides additional support to vulnerable, multi-generational households at a time of high housing costs.

Portsalon wrote: »
    From Regina's Dáil speech:-

Household Benefits
    The Department provides a household benefits package which includes a gas or electricity allowance and a free television licence. For people under 70 years of age, they may not receive these benefits because another adult – usually an adult child – resides under their roof. I am removing this condition in Budget 2020. By doing this, we are recognising and supporting the role played by these families in providing a home to other adults, usually adult children. It provides additional support to vulnerable, multi-generational households at a time of high housing costs.

Thanks portsalon. I wonder when this will start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,659 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Sure it could be a HBP recipient renting out a room.
    Strange change to make, given it's only worth €580pa

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cuddlepunk

splinter65 wrote: »
    Thanks portsalon. I wonder when this will start.

I was wondering the same, as my mother has a granddaughter living with her and was told she can reapply in January and she'll get it.

Any more info on this?
    Is it restricted to adult family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

The hours a carer may work outside the home has been increased from 15 to 18 hours.
    I cannot see if the amount they are allowed to earn from this employment has been increased

Any info please

lulu1 wrote: »
    The hours a carer may work outside the home has been increased from 15 to 18 hours.
    I cannot see if the amount they are allowed to earn from this employment has been increased

Any info please

It hasn’t been increased, so unless you’re well inside the limit now your Carers might be reduced by the extra hours making the move pointless.

• Advertisement

In Budget 2020, it was announced that the prescription charge will be reduced by €0.50 from July 2020.
    Anyone have the exact date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

In Budget 2020, it was announced that the prescription charge will be reduced by €0.50 from July 2020.

Would assume the 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭hawthorne

1 st of September,2020:

https://www.rte.ie/news/budget-2020/2019/1008/1081913-budget-2020-health/

Might be cancelled altogether due to the Covid-19. I bet the charges are going up again with the next budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Has this been cancelled?

Has this been cancelled?

Good question! Looks like it.
    The HSE still has 2 euro as charge on its page:
    https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/prescription-charges-for-medical-card-holders.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

hawthorne wrote: »
    Good question! Looks like it.
    The HSE still has 2 euro as charge on its page:
    https://www2.hse.ie/services/medical-cards/prescription-charges-for-medical-card-holders.html
    Taken from the bottom of that page....
    Last Reviewed: 21/10/2018
    Next Review Due: 21/10/2021

Prescription charges for medical card holders are to be reduced by another 50c, bringing them down to €1.00 per item for 70+ and €1.50 per item for everyone else
    It did not happen
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/drugs_and_medicines/prescription_charges_for_medical_card_holders.html

I still pay 2 Euros in the pharmacy for each prescribed item.
    So any "review" on the HSE page is irrelevant.
    The reduction did not happen- fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

The Medical card co-payment was due to be reduced by 50 cents on 1/7/2020.

The DPS co-payment was due to reduced on 1/9/2020 from €124 to €114.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The C.I. page on prescription charges for medical card holders was updated yesterday and it confirmed that the proposed July reduction of 50c per item did not take place...............
    It was announced in Budget 2020 that the prescription charge would be reduced by €0.50 from July 2020 but this reduction did not take place.

• Advertisement

On November 1st, people over 70 will pay the reduced rate of €1 per item on their prescription and under 70s will pay €1.50.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/government-secure-funding-to-cut-prescription-charges-and-56000-extra-medical-cards-39593536.html
    We'll see in in a few weeks time :rolleyes:

Advertisement