Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2020/2021 - see Mod Note in OP [18/11/20]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

LowOdour wrote: »
    Even when Mee and Tarkowski are back, would be great to see him start 10-15 games this season. Our squad defence wouldn't look too bad (possible list of all EPL starters)
    Doherty
    Coleman
    Duffy
    Egan
    Stevens
    Clark
    Dunne

Long also?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Connolly played well going from MOTD highlights, nice finish for the goal.

Good to see Smallbone getting decent gametime, Long on as a late sub again but nothing for Obafemi at all so far in the league and a few mins in the cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

henke wrote: »
    For those of ye with better hearing than me what advice did Seamus give him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭pgj2015

who did Gibbs slap? embarrassing going down like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

pgj2015 wrote: »
    who did Gibbs slap? embarrassing going down like that.

James Rodriguez

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    James Rodriguez
    Certainly not right to slap James Rodriquez but not being able to cope with physicality has held him back from making that step up to the Very Very Very High Level.

I haven’t seen this incident so I am not commenting on this incident specifically ! !

sugarman wrote: »
    Gibbs said "I'd do it again" and Coleman said "Who you talking to? ...you'll do it again? Hardman ...****ing hardman."

Love it. Not just because it's Seamie but because he was acting a wannabe hardman and didn't know what to do when called out. Just made himself look silly.

Seamie made himself look silly? He should be having words with James after that. Laughable stuff. Gibbs should have said " I'll hit him a proper dig next time".

Seamie made himself look silly? He should be having words with James after that. Laughable stuff. Gibbs should have said " I'll hit him a proper dig next time".
    Maybe Gibbs deserved a Straightener or a Flattener ! !

• Advertisement

think he means Gibbs made himself look silly by acting hard then flapping it from Coleman

blinding wrote: »
    Certainly not right to slap James Rodriquez but not being able to cope with physicality has held him back from making that step up to the Very Very Very High Level.

I haven’t seen this incident so I am not commenting on this incident specifically ! !

The way coleman reacted you would think Gibbs did a tackle like roy keane did on haaland or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

But he wasn't reacting to what Gibbs did. He reacted to Gibbs acting like a hard man talking total ****e after he got his red card. If he'd taken his punishment instead of acting like a 10 year old Coleman wouldn't have said anything to him.

I think Seamus was trying to be a bit of a hard man himself.

captains job to stick up for his teammates

I agree. he would have said worse himself. if I was Gibbs I would have told him to fcuk off.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter how dramatic James Rodriguez fell some players do this. Fact of the matter is a hand to the face is a red card and is completely stupid. It is an idiotic thing to do know when you know the rules. So for him to say he would commit the same red card offence again is a ludicrous thing to say. No captain of an opposition who hears that would keep quiet, otherwise they wouldn't be type of personality to make captain. Sorry but Seamie was right to have a go at him.

It doesn't matter how dramatic James Rodriguez fell some players do this. Fact of the matter is a hand to the face is a red card and is completely stupid. It is an idiotic thing to do know when you know the rules. So for him to say he would commit the same red card offence again is a ludicrous thing to say. No captain of an opposition who hears that would keep quiet, otherwise they wouldn't be type of personality to make captain. Sorry but Seamie was right to have a go at him.

it was stupid to do what Gibbs did but a little slap like that would never have had the potential to injure Rodriguez so coleman should have been thanking him if anything as it made it 10 against 11. stupid of Gibbs, pathetic by Rodriguez and needless from coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1308073577820950534?s=20

Nice to see another Irishman captain a PL side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Coleman’s comment can of course be seen as needless. Decision made and ref not changing it so really no need for anyone to say anything.

So I don’t think he said it in any sort of defence of his teammate or protection or whatever. By the time of his voice it’s sound likes he just a bit bemused by a twat acting like a 10 year on a council estate

Great to see Egan captaining he’s earned it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

https://twitter.com/SheffieldUnited/status/1308073577820950534?s=20

Nice to see another Irishman captain a PL side.

Interesting that Sharp and Norwood were dropped, I thought Jack O'Connell might have been third choice as Captain behind them, but good to see it fall to John Egan.

• Advertisement

pgj2015 wrote: »

The way coleman reacted you would think Gibbs did a tackle like roy keane did on haaland or something.
    I wonder why Rodriquez left a tiny little bit on Gibbs there in the first place . Had Gibbs already being trying to physically intimidate from playing to his full potential ( Rodriquez does struggle with physicality and it does hold him back )

Back in the Good ( possibly bad ) old days every team would have their enforcer (maybe a few ) to kind of even out this physicality i.e. If Gibbs was Bullying Rodriquez one of the enforcers would question whether this was a good course of action with a tackle that would put Gibbs up in the air.

This could have all sort of results = sometimes entertaining if ya liked that sort of thing.

Football could be more intriguing in those days. I will give an example. Once when Ireland were playing England at Wembley Brian Robson was putting Irishmen up in the air for fun for 20 minutes or there abouts. A young fella called Paul McGrath was observing this and Next thing Brian Robson hits an extraordinary height up in the air = = that was the end of Brian Robson bullying anyone in that Game.

There used to be little sub-plots in games in those days ! !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,175 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bridge93 wrote: »

Great to see Egan captaining he’s earned it

Pity it only lasted 12 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fair play to Coleman.

Sticking up for his teammate. Love to see it as a captain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Rory delaps son on the bench for city tonight, has he played youth at all for us?

Good endorsement of his ability that Pep has him on the bench. Speculating but would imagine England is his first choice.

Good endorsement of his ability that Pep has him on the bench. Speculating but would imagine England is his first choice.

Oh he's only playing for us if he can't make it with England, but everyone has him tipped to go places so chances are he'll be lining out for England.

Don't know how the new rules that were voted in change his qualification for us as he's only third generation too like Callum Robinson. So don't know if he needs to have his passport before playing competitively at any age like with Johansson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I didn’t know Delap was English born.
    I’m surprised how few caps he had considering he had 300 or so appearances in the top flight.

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    I didn’t know Delap was English born.
    I’m surprised how few caps he had considering he had 300 or so appearances in the top flight.

Wasnt overly good you see. A really handy utility player to have around a squad but we had mich better options during his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

The fact Trap never even considered having him in the squad for his throw ins alone still irks me to this day, not withstanding the fact he was a Premier League player at the time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,791 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think I read somewhere that he would declare for England. Or maybe that was in a football manager game. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I thought his throw ins alone would be enough to convince trap considering we were essentially a set piece team under him.

I thought his throw ins alone would be enough to convince trap considering we were essentially a set piece team under him.

shouldve been in ahead of Paul Green anyways

PhilipsR wrote: »
    The fact Trap never even considered having him in the squad for his throw ins alone still irks me to this day, not withstanding the fact he was a Premier League player at the time too.

Have always said that young lads now days should be practicing long throws, add another string to your bow to stand out from others.

Will Fitz now at Waterford is someone with a long throw. Watching him play schoolboys in Limerick and he was this 5ft nothing tricky winger, few years later he makes his LOI debut for Limerick and out of nowhere he's launching missiles into the box from throws. It's criminal that we've never tried to take advantage of the long throws, especially now that you've someone like Duffy whose dangerous from set pieces.

Have always said that young lads now days should be practicing long throws, add another string to your bow to stand out from others.

Will Fitz now at Waterford is someone with a long throw. Watching him play schoolboys in Limerick and he was this 5ft nothing tricky winger, few years later he makes his LOI debut for Limerick and out of nowhere he's launching missiles into the box from throws. It's criminal that we've never tried to take advantage of the long throws, especially now that you've someone like Duffy whose dangerous from set pieces.

As someone who plays wing back, I don't think you can really throw the ball further by practicing.

You can improve technique but for length it's a mix of natural physique and gym work that would improve the distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Molumby looks like he going back to Millwall on loan..

Think its for best.

Molumby looks like he going back to Millwall on loan..

Think its for best.

hopefully he links up well with Parrott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

As someone who plays wing back, I don't think you can really throw the ball further by practicing.

You can improve technique but for length it's a mix of natural physique and gym work that would improve the distance.

As a CB/FB with (or who had) a long throw, I can also say that it really hurts after the third or fourth one.

I'm not sure it's a great thing to be doing to yourself regularly tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Totally agree. Considering how Trappatoni had us pay it was baffling Delap was not in the team or at least a regular off the bench.

Harsh decision, was pulling out of his man and the red was given for denial of a goal scoring opportunity but he was 25-30 yards out from goal with a keeper rushing out towards them. Forward still had a lot of work to do.

Yellow would have been fair and the linesman who had a better view of it than the ref seemed to think so.

Just looked at it now. He was the last man. Rule is straight forward in that sense. Had to go. Not sure why Wilder is giving out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Jack Byrne with a goal and 3 asts last night

D.Q wrote: »
    Jack Byrne with a goal and 3 asts last night

Serious going. You'd like to see him giving a higher standard of ball a go but look if hes happy then fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Serious going. You'd like to see him giving a higher standard of ball a go but look if hes happy then fair enough.

Would love to see him get another go in England tbh

Still think he should be at the very least on the bench for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not looking to start another Celtic vs EFL debate but wonder would they suit Byrne? Usually on top most games and a step up from LOI

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

On the topic of former players sons,

Graham Kavanaghs son, Calum Kavanagh, has signed a 3 year professional deal with Middlesbrough today. Hes a striker and plays with our u17s.

Also u19s centre back Mark McGuinness who has been training with Arsenals first team in recent weeks/months has joined Ipswich on loan.

Stephen Ireland's son on trial with Borrusia Dortmund at the moment. English u15/u16 capped though so wouldn't be expecting him to play with Ireland

Speaking of McGuinness, I would imagine he'll go the way of Grealish/Rice. Can't see him playing senior with Ireland if turns out to be any way good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

Not looking to start another Celtic vs EFL debate but wonder would they suit Byrne? Usually on top most games and a step up from LOI

I get what your saying but not likely purely from the standpoint that Celtic have so many players that play in that position already.

• Advertisement

West Ham won comfortably but disappointingly no minutes for Coventry. I hope he is another who might in line for a loan move.

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Speaking of McGuinness, I would imagine he'll go the way of Grealish/Rice. Can't see him playing senior with Ireland if turns out to be any way good

Yeah pretty sure he's already played for Englands youths, probably U15s but was never picked again because of injury problems. Think his parents are from Derry so he qualifies for us, the North and England.

Good to see Arsenal loaning him out. Ticks the boxes in the type of CB they've been crying out for for some time now. 6ft 4 and built like a brick ****house, could be a good replacement for Duffy in a few years if he makes it at senior level.

Ryan Manning could be someone worth monitoring for them, especially now they've started using wingbacks and he's available on a free next summer. Defensively there's questions about him but going forward his stats are impressive.

Ryan Manning could be someone worth monitoring for them, especially now they've started using wingbacks and he's available on a free next summer. Defensively there's questions about him but going forward his stats are impressive.

He played as an attacking central midfielder for Galway United and tbh he was the best player when he was 17.

Was unusual to see he transitioned to LB when he moved to England.

He played as an attacking central midfielder for Galway United and tbh he was the best player when he was 17.

Was unusual to see he transitioned to LB when he moved to England.

Still played in midfield for QPR and Rotherham. QPR often played him wide left which probably lead to them trying him out at wingback and fullback. Last season was his first full season starting in that position but looks like he won't be playing this year unless he signs a new contract.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement