Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Developed body dysmorphia due to family's comments

Options
  • 27-02-2021 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have body dysmorphia. I have serious issues with how I look and am obsessive over flaws or perceived flaws to the point my life has been affected. I don't go on dates for fear of them thinking I'm ugly and I spend all day fixating on my appearance. I have been told that I am a good looking girl but I can't see that at all.

I never knew why I had this problem but recently I noticed my family (mainly my brother and my mother) ALWAYS comment on my looks, whether it's good or bad. Recent comments include: "Your hair is lovely brown, blonde didn't suit you." "Your skin is lovely, that medication you got is working well on the acne." "Those trousers suit your figure." "You've lost weight, your face was fatter before but I didn't want to say it to you." "That's a nice jacket." "You were so ugly a year ago when your spots were bad, but it was funny coz you were fat too."

It's a variety of mixed comments ranging from nice to horrible, but honestly I'm just sick of my looks being a topic of conversation and I feel angry that they even make these comments.

I'm 30 now and it's so normal that it doesn't feel right to suddenly tell them to stop, especially as some of the comments are compliments. But it doesn't matter, either way I just feel judged and scrutinised, as if how I look is the most important thing I bring to the table. It's been a thing since I was a child and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I now have this extremely distressing condition. It's hard to even explain how badly it affects me.

I'm feeling really angry because how I look is no one's business to comment on and because it's been a topic of conversation for so long it's affected my whole life.

Any advice or support welcome but I think I just really needed to share this because I've never spoken to anyone about it and I don't even know how to tackle my dysmorphia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

For every compliment there is an underhanded dig or put down. You are more within your rights to tell them to stop. If the comment was "your skin is lovely" that's fine and welcome but the bit after is not on at all. Next time they say something like that question them on it. I am guessing they will become defensive so prepare to stand your ground while not being an aggressor. No one has the right to make you feel like that OP

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

You say that people have told you that you’re a good looking girl? Perhaps your family are jealous of you! Most people who would comment negatively on anyone’s looks are most likely very insecure themselves and love to deflect their hang ups on to others.

My family are like this too, all my life. Only thing is I actually was very overweight and didn’t look after myself. A few years ago I lost the weight but they still had something to say about me. Whether is was clothes, make up etc. I knew then that they were the problem and not me. Don’t let them get to you. You are well entitled to tell them to stop and that you don’t appreciate their comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Are you sure you are talking about dysmorphia here and not “just” about insecurity because the comments make you second guess everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

if everyone who received negative comments or comments that bothered them from their family went on to have body dysmorphia then we would all have it. your title
    Developed body dysmorphia due to family's comments
    is simply not correct & to lay blame on your family is you simply apportioning blame where it is convenient and easy. Its a childish conclusion and it doesn't even scratch the surface of a more complicated reality.

Now if you had said i have body dysmorphia and my family's comments are making it worse and have probably been a factor in my developing this condition, then perhaps you would get some very good advice here, on strategies to address the family dynamic.

I apologise if this comes across as harsh. Do you see the difference in the 2 statements? I think you will probably have a bit of learning to do yourself - (and not only your family) to understand and overcome any conditions you develop.

One of them is learning to be more assertive. You should be able to discuss what makes you uncomfortable with your family, without fear of repercussions. You should be able to ask them can you refrain from doing 'X' as it make me unhappy, and in a healthy family dynamic most would at least consider that request, even if habits of a lifetime can be hard to break.

The fact you dont even think you can broach this subject makes me wonder what your not saying, the family dynamic may not be that healthy, or perhaps you need to be more communicative/assertive?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭sporina

Hi OP, I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with this issue.. you obviously have some issues that are manifesting in this way.. however I don't think your family have caused your body dysmorphia.. their comments are not helping it for sure - but probably not the cause.. a lot of people are pass remarkable.. think its an Irish thing..

Not the less, that does not take away from the fact that you are struggling..

If I were you I would contact Bodywhys.. and/or your GP - maybe see if they can recommend some counsellors.. sounds like you could do with some therapy..

The Body Dysmorphia could be a symptom of other deep rooted problems.. insecurities etc.. linked to poor self esteem/self worth etc..

Go easy on yourself - and your family - they don't mean any harm..

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Likely it's become a family habit to comment on your appearance and half the time they probably don't even realise what they are saying - but that doesn't excuse them either!
    Pull them on it. Every time. Have a few responses ready to respond to them that work for you such as:

"I didn't ask for your opinion on my hair/ weight/ face"
    "why are you obsessed with my appearance? That's the third time today you've mentioned my body"
    "if you keep commenting about my appearance I can start commenting on yours the same way and see if you like it"
    "lets talk about YOUR face for a change, shall we?
    "Jesus, that was a bit rude to say"

Neyite wrote: »
    Likely it's become a family habit to comment on your appearance and half the time they probably don't even realise what they are saying - but that doesn't excuse them either!
    Pull them on it. Every time. Have a few responses ready to respond to them that work for you such as:

"I didn't ask for your opinion on my hair/ weight/ face"
    "why are you obsessed with my appearance? That's the third time today you've mentioned my body"
    "if you keep commenting about my appearance I can start commenting on yours the same way and see if you like it"
    "lets talk about YOUR face for a change, shall we?
    "Jesus, that was a bit rude to say"

Gee sorry to contradict you but I would not agree with your advice at all..
    Comments like that would probably lead to an argument and thus causing the OP further stress..

If the OP was to say anything to her family when they comment, maybe something like, "i'd appreciate if you didn't comment on my appearance - thanks"

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

sporina wrote: »
    Gee sorry to contradict you but I would not agree with your advice at all..
    Comments like that would probably lead to an argument and thus causing the OP further stress..

If the OP was to say anything to her family when they comment, maybe something like, "i'd appreciate if you didn't comment on my appearance - thanks"

True, your phrasing is probably a bit more diplomatic than what I would say and probably a better approach given it's upsetting her so much at the moment. Having said that, once you stand your ground once, it's very empowering and if the OP does then it might give them a bit of a confidence boost hopefully.

No need to apologise for contradicting me at all. :) Ultimately we are only here to give an OP a range of advice and opinions so that they can hopefully have a few options of an approach best suited to them and their own family dynamic.

Neyite wrote: »
    True, your phrasing is probably a bit more diplomatic than what I would say and probably a better approach given it's upsetting her so much at the moment. Having said that, once you stand your ground once, it's very empowering and if the OP does then it might give them a bit of a confidence boost hopefully.

No need to apologise for contradicting me at all. :) Ultimately we are only here to give an OP a range of advice and opinions so that they can hopefully have a few options of an approach best suited to them and their own family dynamic.

thanks for understanding - and I hear you on the above however I'm just not sure that the OP would be able for a possible back lash from her family if her approach was on the aggressive side.. assertiveness is key though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You don't say if youve been formally assessed & diagnoses for body dysmorphia or if this is self diagnoses?
    Someone with body dysmorphia sees themselves very differently to how they actually are, its beyond feeling unattractive or insecure. People with body dysmorphia often have serious eating disorders or spend hundreds & thousands on plastic surgery and cosmetic procedures to 'fix' their perceived flaws.
    The reason I point out the distinction is because, youre labelling yourself with a disorder that may be to extreme for what is actually going on. Once you start giving yourself extreme labels, its almost like setting a really negative goal where you let your insecurity grow to something unmanageable. Whether youre having issues with insecurities or something more serious is going on for you, only you can make that distinguishment.

If you do have body dysmorphia id really strongly suggest that you seek help from your GP right away. Id find a reliable online webpage that indicates all the signs & symptoms of BDD, print it off and tell your doctor how the symptoms relate to you.
    If its a case of insecurity, speak to a counsellor so you can really hash through your feelings about this.

Speaking from my own experience, ive had friends & family comment on my appearance my entire life, I have brothers and have never witnessed them experience having their physical appearance critiqued and commented on. Throughout my life if I didnt look perfect I would get negative comments - my hair isnt a nice colour, my makeup isnt nice, its too dark or too pale, im putting on weight, im too skinny, if I had a spot on my face someone would comment. If I looked good id get comments about that. Growing up and learning that im judged on my appearance and it effects how people see me/speak to me/treat me, id be similar to you in that im preoccupied with how I look, more than I would like to be but have a fear of 'letting myself go' so to speak because im worried ill be negatively judged & disliked.
    Theres a huge amount of pressure for women to look a certain away, if we're not getting bombarded with perfect images on social media & television, we're getting commented on and critiqued by family, friends & sometimes strangers.

My brother learned to comment on my looks from my parents who did it regularly, when we grew up my brother was constantly making negative remarks to me about my appearance. It got to the point that I had to distance myself from him for my own self esteem & anyone else who felt they had some right to pass comment on my appearance. I remember meeting a friend for coffee one time, she pinched the skin on my arms and lifted my elbows and commented that I was 'very skinny'. Eventually I realised she had to go to as I was insecure just at the thoughts of meeting up with her.

I know its much harder to distance yourself from family so its probably not an option here but I would suggest creating boundaries and sticking up for yourself when these comments are made against you. It can be as simple as telling them not to comment on your appearance, leaving the room when they say something, telling them exactly how you feel, that their comments are leaving you feeling very insecure and you'd appreciate if they stopped.
    You'd be surprised how much your self esteem can increase just by setting boundaries.

• Advertisement

My brother learned to comment on my looks from my parents who did it regularly, when we grew up my brother was constantly making negative remarks to me about my appearance.

This is an excellent point - I wondered about it earlier, how much of it is learned behaviour. There's so much we absorb from our parents without realising and it's only through interactions with people outside of the family that we might stop and realise that other families don't do that.

So it brings me to a question - which you don't have to answer on thread, just mull over yourself - is your mother image concious? Or even your maternal grandmother, would she have been pass-remarkable about your mother or other women? Your dad? Did he and your mother talk a lot about women's appearance etc. Or is it more a genderless thing with your brother or dad getting as much critique about his appearance as you do for yours? Not saying that if they are like that, that it excuses what they say or how it affects you, but it can shed some light on family patterns.

How would your brother react if you said to him "Look John, could you stop making comments on my appearance? It's starting to affect me a lot and if you could stop doing that you would be really helping me". You might find that he is just doing what he's always done without thinking. And if he does stop then maybe he could also help stick up for you with your mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Lit always disappoints me to find that there are people, family members, who think so little of their children/siblings that they would speak to them like you've described Op.

Its pathetic and sad behaviour from adults and needs to be called out.
    I agree with others, there's no need to go in guns blazing just start by asking them to stop when they so comment so negatively.

It might be such a shock to them that you've stood up for yourself that they might realise what they are doing.

It might take a few times for the message to get through. Either way you don't deserve this treatment and I hope something positive happens soon.

Advertisement