Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Tax

Options
  • 19-02-2021 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi if I receive a gift of 36k - 48k
    Would I have to pay tax on it ?
    Can I get it transferred straight in my bank account?
    Would I just need a letter to say it is a gift?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most of your questions are answered here:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/gift-and-inheritance-tax-cat/index.aspx

You will have to pay tax on it, you can just get it transferred to your bank account, and you don't need a letter to say it's a gift.

If this money is to help you buy a property, the bank will often ask for a letter from the gifter confirming that it is a gift and not repayable. But Revenue don't need such a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Any CAT payable depends who you get it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

How much tax free money am I allowed each year from parent is it only 3k from each parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Laura2021 wrote: »
    How much tax free money am I allowed each year from parent is it only 3k from each parent?

Correct, 3k from each.

There is also a lifetime tax free threshold from your parents, of 335k

If they were to transfer you 50k, 6k of this would be tax free leaving 44k to be taken off your lifetime allowance which leaves the balance at 291k, assuming you havent previously used any of your allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Laura2021

Correct, 3k from each.

There is also a lifetime tax free threshold from your parents, of 335k

If they were to transfer you 50k, 6k of this would be tax free leaving 44k to be taken off your lifetime allowance which leaves the balance at 291k, assuming you havent previously used any of your allowance

How much tax would I pay on 44k if 6k is free ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

33% would be the rate, so 14.5k or so

Unless you've already used up your lifetime allowance from your parents then you won't have a tax liability

33% would be the rate, so 14.5k or so

Unless you've already used up your lifetime allowance from your parents then you won't have a tax liability

PLEASE NOTE

You can receive 335k tax -free from your parents.

If your parents make a gift to you of 44k, and if you have not reached 335k in gifts from them,

then the 44k is free of CAT.

No tax, until you reach 335k.

Advertisement