Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third party Switch docks (Amazon etc)

Options
  • 26-10-2020 1:56pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks. Looking to pick up a second tv dock. Had a look at Amazon and seems to be a lot of third party ones. Anything I should be aware of or should I stick with official Nintendo gear?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Official ones are really expensive! Bloody Nintendo rip off merchants.

3rd party are getting safer but generally don't come with a power supply.

Wulff den YouTube had a video about this recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I bought the silver version of this in July. It works perfectly with the Switch power supply.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Z8XYLKS/ref=dp_prsubs_1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I bought the silver version of this in July. It works perfectly with the Switch power supply.

I also bought this. Works like a dream. I keep it in my Switch carry case, very handy to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I ended up getting a Skull & Co Jumpgate in the end. Slightly more expensive but better reviewed. Hasn’t bricked the Switch yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Has anyone done something like this? Tempted to do it just for fun.

Replacing internals of official Switch dock into a smaller form factor

I could only find the dock listed in this article on eBay which made it expensive but I’m guessing some Chinese sites might have an equivalent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

It's 100% on my list of things I want to do but not bought the necessary bits.

The link in the article redirects to amazon.co.uk but you can find the dock on Amazon.com:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YVC3NJ/

Looks like they will ship to Ireland for ~$20 all in (I have ordered from .com before without any bother).

Main reason I have not done it is the cost of an official dock/just sourcing one

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

faceman wrote: »
    I ended up getting a Skull & Co Jumpgate in the end. Slightly more expensive but better reviewed. Hasn’t bricked the Switch yet!

Do you use the official charger with this one?
    Im also looking for a second dock.
    Dont want to brick my switch with a dodgy one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

From a lot of discussion around the dock issue, it seems that the problem is actually Nintendo's implementatin of USB-C - they skimped on the elements that provide protection against power surges or a power draw higher than the Switch is rated for. So an important factor is to use either a first-party charger or one that is suitable for the Switch's requirements.

Fysh wrote: »
    From a lot of discussion around the dock issue, it seems that the problem is actually Nintendo's implementatin of USB-C - they skimped on the elements that provide protection against power surges or a power draw higher than the Switch is rated for. So an important factor is to use either a first-party charger or one that is suitable for the Switch's requirements.

Nintendo are unbelievable skin flints. Are they just getting meaner too? Is it USB or not. Sounds like a proprietary interface. That can brick your switch or worse. This would be ok if the dock and charger were better value, but at the moment they are over 100 quid for very standard tech that they hobbled to make it proprietary.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Nintendo are unbelievable skin flints. Are they just getting meaner too? Is it USB or not. Sounds like a proprietary interface. That can brick your switch or worse. This would be ok if the dock and charger were better value, but at the moment they are over 100 quid for very standard tech that they hobbled to make it proprietary.

There's an alternate rundown here suggesting that it's an aspect of video-handling on the docks that is at fault. It does mention that a product verification system was cracked, with the crack being used by 3rd party docks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I have a Genki Covert Dock and while it's pricey, it's very good.

I've also used an adapter made by Melopow that I bought on eBay, albeit with an official AC adapter and that worked fine too.

I have a Genki Covert Dock and while it's pricey, it's very good.

I've also used an adapter made by Melopow that I bought on eBay, albeit with an official AC adapter and that worked fine too.

Where'd you get the genki dock ? I saw that before, but didn't think it was available over here. Will definitely consider that, but let it go down in price first!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

I went for the Skull and Co dock. Works great so far, and the inner part can be popped out to make it even smaller, or usable as a USB c hub, which is really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    Where'd you get the genki dock ? I saw that before, but didn't think it was available over here. Will definitely consider that, but let it go down in price first!

I bought it from their website. Ships from Hong Kong in a week or so.

Doubt the price will drop any time soon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Do you use the official charger with this one?
    Im also looking for a second dock.
    Dont want to brick my switch with a dodgy one.

Sorry missed this Q. Yes using an official plug. The dock doesn’t come with cables

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Had a look at the jumpgate dock and this review jumped out at me.
    I would give zero stars if I could. Followed all instructions, used Nintendo power and HDMI cords and it still bricked my first generation Switch. Very upset as this was supposed to be QC tested to not do this.

Yikes. Comments seem mostly positive, but there is always going to be that little niggling doubt.

I bought it from their website. Ships from Hong Kong in a week or so.

Doubt the price will drop any time soon.

Cool, will get me an extra Switch dock + official charger.
    Not being cynical - but that's looking more useful than an XBox Series X at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

There is 20% off the Genki Covert Dock at the moment on their site. Basically cancels out the $15 shipping fee.

Official switch dock about 88 euro delivered from amazon de at the moment.

Also know as the expensive to be sure, to be sure dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mcgrath1992

Doodah7 wrote: »

I actually bought that and it arrived this morning. However I plugged the hdmi into a hdmi switcher as I ran out TV ports but I'm not getting a signal on TV. I have the Nintendo power supply plugged into the zasluke too

• Advertisement
Advertisement