Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Residential Property Data/Statistics/Reports

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

Fall 10-20%
    Mortgage Approvals 2021 January.
    On the levels similar to a previous years.
    "First-time buyer(FTB) mortgage approval volumes
    increased by 7.5% year-on-year to 1,709 while mover
    purchase approval volumes increased by 2.9%
    year-on-year to 911."
    https://bpfi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/BPFI-Mortgage-Approvals-Report-Jan-21.pdf

Fall 10-20%
    Some Stats on vacancy change during Covid.
    There has been decrease in vacancy across most of the Counties, except Dublin, Cork & Limerick.
    Dublin vacancy increased, this is likely due to decrease of interest in rental properties in City Center during Covid times.

545094.jpg

https://www.geodirectory.ie/getattachment/News/Residential-Property-Transactions-fall-by-over-20/GeoDirectory_GeoView_Residential_Issue_14.pdf?lang=en-IE

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭hometruths

Marius34 wrote: »
    Some Stats on vacancy change during Covid.
    There has been decrease in vacancy across most of the Counties, except Dublin, Cork & Limerick.
    Dublin vacancy increased, this is likely due to decrease of interest in rental properties in City Center during Covid times.

545094.jpg

https://www.geodirectory.ie/getattachment/News/Residential-Property-Transactions-fall-by-over-20/GeoDirectory_GeoView_Residential_Issue_14.pdf?lang=en-IE

If you think latest increase in Dublin vacancies was due to coved, why do you think Dublin vacancies were increasing pre Covid?

Fall 10-20%
    schmittel wrote: »
    If you think latest increase in Dublin vacancies was due to coved, why do you think Dublin vacancies were increasing pre Covid?

Not sure, wouldn't be able to guess on vacancy rate change for Dublin on previous years. But I guess it was partially related to increase number of new build completion.

Not sure, wouldn't be able to guess on vacancy rate change for Dublin on previous years. But I guess it was partially related to increase number of new build completion.

How does new build completion increase vacancies?

Fall 10-20%
    How does new build completion increase vacancies?

I don't know if it increase, but it may increase for some cases.
    For some completed properties it may take time to sell, for some it may take time before someone moves in for whatever reasons, etc.

I don't know if it increase, but it may increase for some cases.
    For some completed properties it may take time to sell, for some it may take time before someone moves in for whatever reasons, etc.

That doesn't make any sense, because if they are for sale they are not counted in Geodirectory vacancy figures as per their methodology.

And whilst delays moving in might account for a few vacancies on census night, Geodirectory figures are measured over 6 months by An Post. It's intuitively and mathematically improbable that the increases in vacancies can be meaningfully explained by people taking their time to move in.

Do you think a more likely explanation might be tenancies expiring and landlords deciding not to continue letting the property because of tenant hassles?

Fall 10-20%
    That doesn't make any sense, because if they are for sale they are not counted in Geodirectory vacancy figures as per their methodology.

And whilst delays moving in might account for a few vacancies on census night, Geodirectory figures are measured over 6 months by An Post. It's intuitively and mathematically improbable that the increases in vacancies can be meaningfully explained by people taking their time to move in.
    I'm not sure where do you get that GeoDirectory doesn't count any properties for sale as vacant? I would think those not sold for long term could be well counted as vacant.
    When I'm talking about move in, I'm not just speaking about owner occupied primary or secondary home, but as well rentals, there could be some cases especially higher end, that it could take 1 year before someone moves in after construction completion.
    Do you think a more likely explanation might be tenancies expiring and landlords deciding not to continue letting the property because of tenant hassles?
    Yes, this may have impact as well on figures.

I'm not sure where do you get that GeoDirectory doesn't count any properties for sale as vacant? I would think those not sold for long term could be well counted as vacant.

From the Geodirectory 2017 report when they changed from quoting census figures and explained why:
    Some of these categories could be considered to be dwellings which might not normally be classified as vacant in the context of long term vacancy, but which would represent more of a transitional or temporary vacancy rate, i.e.
    properties waiting to be sold or rented out.
    In the aggregate they represent a
    total of around 31,500 properties out of the 57,000, or 55%. This implies that
    25,500 of this total would be deemed to be vacant. As these explanations
    were only provided for one-third of vacant dwellings (if it is assumed that
    55% of the remaining two-thirds were similarly classified, leaving 45% as
    representing the true vacant total), this would reduce the CSO figure for the
    number of vacant dwellings considerably to around 83,000, which would be
    closer to the GeoDirectory figure of 96,243

I'm surprised you didn't know this, I have pointed it out to you a number of times.

• Advertisement

Fall 10-20%
    From the Geodirectory 2017 report when they changed from quoting census figures and explained why:

I'm surprised you didn't know this, I have pointed it out to you a number of times.

I'm well aware of what you posted. And that's what I mentioned many time, that its some of the properties from Census are not considered as vacant, those ones in in transition/temporary vacant, some of them are for sale, some for other reasons. It doesn't say that long term vacant unsold properties they don't consider as vacant. I don't think they have in their criteria for long term vacancy to separate those which ones are unsold, which ones are sold.

I'm well aware of what you posted. And that's what I mentioned many time, that its some of the properties from Census are not considered as vacant, those ones in in transition/temporary vacant, some of them are for sale, some for other reasons. It doesn't say that long term vacant unsold properties they don't consider as vacant. I don't think they have in their criteria for long term vacancy to separate those which ones are unsold, which ones are sold.

Geodirectory are clearly saying they do not consider properties waiting to be sold or rented as vacant. Full stop. Doesn't make a difference whether it takes 6 weeks or 6 months or 6 years to be sold.

That's what I was surprised you didn't know.

Fall 10-20%
    Geodirectory are clearly saying they do not consider properties waiting to be sold or rented as vacant. Full stop. Doesn't make a difference whether it takes 6 weeks or 6 months or 6 years to be sold.

That's what I was surprised you didn't know.

I don't want to discuss your interpretation.

I don't want to discuss your interpretation.

It's not an interpretation. It's a fact!

Fall 10-20%
    3) Household Mortgage vs Household Deposits
    Update for January. Big Increase in Household deposits (around €1,9 Billion). And decrease in Loans (around €0,2 Billion).
    Details below.
    Loans for Private House Purchase:
    2021 Jan: 73,567 mil (decrease -203 mil MoM & -2,853 mil YoY),
    Private Household deposits:
    2021 Jan: 124,529 mil (increase +1,877 mil MoM & +14,979 mil YoY)

Advertisement