Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Entering Underground Tank

Options
  • 22-07-2019 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi, all,looking for yer valued opinions and experiences!

Have an underground slurry tank and in periods of very heavy rainfall, water can be seen coming over the top of the tank walls.

Am considering digging down outside the wall, probably about 4 feet (tank is 7' deep), putting in percolated pipe and clean drainage stone and piping water away.

Sounds simple so far, however I will have to pipe the water to some type of underground tank and wire up a submersible pump to pump any water away, can't get a fall out of it. Also where I have to dig is between the tank and the cow shed, qill be very close to the foundations of the shed.

On top of that, there is an open passage running at a right angle to the end of the tank. Surface water isn't an issue, however there is a good bit of broken concrete on it, so any water running down there is going underground. I will be replacing that broken concrete this year, should I take a chance on this solving the problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

What is the level of the adjoining fields, is there a slope towards the tank. Or do you think that it's just surface water from the concrete areas causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

Going down 1.5 ft might be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Freejin

The shed is sloping down to the tank (the side of the tank that water is going in over). If I was confident that only water from the broken concrete was causing the issue, I wouldn't be bothered with the pipe. Has anybody else done anything similar?

Good loser wrote: »
    Going down 1.5 ft might be enough.

Ya, how deep is deep enough is the question I should be asking I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Freejin wrote: »
    Ya, how deep is deep enough is the question I should be asking I guess

How deep do you have to go to get a fall to get water away. When I done new milking parlour I found a spring at the low end of pit. I ended up at the worst point with a 13t digger at full depth pulling a drain out if it. Was very lucky sides or trench didn't give way

• Advertisement

dar31 wrote: »
    How deep do you have to go to get a fall to get water away. When I done new milking parlour I found a spring at the low end of pit. I ended up at the worst point with a 13t digger at full depth pulling a drain out if it. Was very lucky sides or trench didn't give way

If I go down 4feet, reckon I'd have to go 100m down the field and deepen the drain from there, so don't think it's a runner really

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭Grueller

If I go down 4feet, reckon I'd have to go 100m down the field and deepen the drain from there, so don't think it's a runner really

I think I would rather this than the hassle of putting in a submersible pump and all the repairs and maintenance that could entail over a period of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

To me, that's a far simpler solution than what you described earlier.

100m of 4" pipe is cheap. There is no need for drainage stone on the fun to the drain as you only taking water away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

dar31 wrote: »
    To me, that's a far simpler solution than what you described earlier.

100m of 4" pipe is cheap. There is no need for drainage stone on the fun to the drain as you only taking water away.

I would use a load of stone as well. You do not want the pipe to get blocked. Use land drainage pipe and stone cover the stone with straw or membrane to prevent soil going into stone. Use a 20' length if 4'' pipe at the end. It will be done forevermore.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

IF the water is only coming over the top of the tank then why would you need to dig down deep at all?

is the area where the water is coming in concreted?

If you put a small 6" high kerb/bund along the top of the wall of the tank would the water run off along the kerb and off into a ditch or field?

Only go digging if you have to. And no point going deeper that necessary, only wasting time and money. And you are making it much harder to get rid of the water if you don't have a fall. Absolutely stay the hell away from installing a sump and pump unless it is absolutely unavoidable.

If you must install a drain, stay as shallow as possible to help you with your falls. A line of precast channel drains or a heavy duty ACO drain could intercept the surface water as it crosses the yard and over the edge of the tank. You could install a collection sump and drain pump if you really do need to. Just remember, you also have the costs of installing the outfall pipework, installing electrical ducting, electrical supply etc., maintenance and upkeep of the pump. You want to avoid that if at possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

So if you go down 1 or 2 feet your 100m could be significantly shortened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

Take a few levels with a dumpy level or laser level. It's a two man job, a piece of 2''x 1'' and a marker will do as a staff. Falls can sometimes be deceptive to the naked eye if the natural fall is say 12'' over 600 feet, that's 1 : 600 water will slowly flow with this fall or even less but is easily blocked.
    As suggested before, try to avoid pumps etc. if possible.
    Depending on surrounding land, and high water table levels etc. a 100m trench dug say 2 to 3 feet deeper than highest with water level with a 6'' land drain back filled with suitable stone may soak most of the water even if there is very little natural fall.
    But a good survey is paramount before you start digging.

Advertisement