Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Stud Depth.

Options
  • 22-07-2019 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭

I have to put up a small partition (stud wall) to partition a new shower area from the main bathroom at home.

The Stud wall will be supported on 3 sides (ceiling , block wall, concrete floor) Its 1200 long and 2600 high.

Question is what is the minimum depth i can get away with on the stud. Obvoiusly i want strenght but i dont want a deep wall taking up space unnecessary space in the room ( i wont be using a glass screen partition as its not wanted)

Thoughts ? Musing s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Seems like a lot of work and will make the shower darker and closed in, compared to a glass screen.

Standard would be 3 x 2 + 2 x 1/2 in plasterboard, giving 4 inches + tiles.

You could turn the 3x2's by 90 degrees, which will reduce the strenght but would take 1 inch off the wall, maybe use some 2 x 2 on the bottom + top.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Seems like a lot of work and will make the shower darker and closed in, compared to a glass screen.

Standard would be 3 x 2 + 2 x 1/2 in plasterboard, giving 4 inches + tiles.

You could turn the 3x2's by 90 degrees, which will reduce the strenght but would take 1 inch off the wall, maybe use some 2 x 2 on the bottom + top.

Dont want the upkeep of the glass. Also there is glass blocks one end streaming window light into the shower area. Plus Spots on the ceiling. It will be the least dark room in the house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    Dont want the upkeep of the glass. Also there is glass blocks one end streaming window light into the shower area. Plus Spots on the ceiling. It will be the least dark room in the house :)
    Get a water softener.
    A solid wall is an unnecessary barrier, as DD has noted.
    The glass does not need to be 2.6

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Get a water softener.
    A solid wall is an unnecessary barrier, as DD has noted.
    The glass does not need to be 2.6

I'd get one, but we don't want one and it doesn't fit in with the look were after. The wall has a purpose aesthetically too.

I do appreciate people like glass though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I'd get one, but we don't want one and it doesn't fit in with the look were after. The wall has a purpose aesthetically too.

I do appreciate people like glass though.

maybe consider wpb ply, for quality, glued and screwed at 30cm centres, on the dry side: will make it very rigid. along with closely fitting noggins and the green PB on the wet side.
    noggins to catch the joint

How about a port hole of glass :D
    https://www.masterfile.com/image/en/700-00616780

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Our previous house was a 1970s semi... the upstairs walls were not as thick as the door frames... They were made up of 2x2 framing and paramount plasterboard and were still standing 40yrs later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Use a 50 mm metal stud, its strong stuff if put up correctly, green slab and tile comes to about 80 mm plus plasterboard and skim dry side, about 100mm altogether

I think il go with 2x2 have the green Board already . Finished the block wall sides. Heavy stuff.not as heavy as fire board but an arse to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

18mm marine ply pocket hole fixed to side walls 6mm cement board glued and screwed over both side's then tile shower side and skim room side over all thickness
    Incl tile and skim 45mm

18mm marine ply pocket hole fixed to side walls 6mm cement board glued and screwed over both side's then tile shower side and skim room side over all thickness
    Incl tile and skim 45mm

I like your moxxy but feels like a gamble :)

Having pocket holed near every custom wardrobe in the house i can attest to the strength. But on a wall area, im sceptical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I like your moxxy but feels like a gamble :)

Having pocket holed near every custom wardrobe in the house i can attest to the strength. But on a wall area, im sceptical.

I know wher your coming from
    How about screw 2x1 pao on edge to the wall either side first then pocket hole the ply to that.
    Then let the cement board overlap the joint glued also

Went with a 48 mm X 70 mm timber. 48 on the depth. With free board in and standard board out.

300mm centers studs close to 300 mm noggins distance.

Expressed into floor and wall.added noggins in attic to take the ceiling fixings.

Was still concerned with flex once wall was up but once the board's went on it became incredibly rigid. No play very hard to move.

Happy out full depth 12 48 13

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i did a job a while back
    i used 6x2 pressuretreated imported c24 timber (most becasue they were extra from another job) the room could take the size easily.
    250mm on center and 5 or 6 rows of noggings.
    then marine ply the wet side and wbp the other. MR slab dry side and tiler put cement board in the wet side. glued and screwed to an inch of its life

its rock solid.

we cut out boxs into the stud for shampoo bottles etc on the wet side and boxs on the dry side for toilet rolls and decorative nc nacks . put a few led lights into 2 boxs above some fancy puts she had.

lovely job. i wish i had pictures of it . its lovely

Advertisement