Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance accident claim?

Options
  • 19-07-2019 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was involved in a car accident very minor where a car hit me and took responsibility. Paid full in private. I notified my insurance and told them he was settling private so that the end of it.

Now i'm searching to a renewal and the claims question ask was I involved in a claim. Do I put yes or no considering it was done private just that the insurance company was notified?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Hi,

Was involved in a car accident very minor where a car hit me and took responsibility. Paid full in private. I notified my insurance and told them he was settling private so that the end of it.

Now i'm searching to a renewal and the claims question ask was I involved in a claim. Do I put yes or no considering it was done private just that the insurance company was notified?

You didnt claim against your insurance nor was there a claim by a third party against your insurance so you put down "no" for that question

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Hi,

No. If they asked if you had been involved in incident or accident, you would have to say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

What was the exact wording of the question relating to a "claim" ?
    Was there a separate question (or assumption) about any accidents ?

Even if there is room for ambiguity in the insurer's question I would answer "yes" on the basis of avoiding the catch-all situation of non-disclosure of a material fact.

Explain that you have answered "yes" to comply with the duty of utmost good faith but that the matter was settled by the other side at nil cost to your current insurer.
    Your current insurer should be able to confirm the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    What was the exact wording of the question relating to a "claim" ?
    Was there a separate question (or assumption) about any accidents ?

Even if there is room for ambiguity in the insurer's question I would answer "yes" on the basis of avoiding the catch-all situation of non-disclosure of a material fact.

Explain that you have answered "yes" to comply with the duty of utmost good faith but that the matter was settled by the other side at nil cost to your current insurer.
    Your current insurer should be able to confirm the situation.

Have you or any driver who will drive the car been involved in an accident or suffered any losses in the past 3 years or have any outstanding or pending claims?

So for a question like this you would say "yes"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You were involved in an accident, you didn’t have a claim. When insurers seek clarification you should be OK

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

You were involved in an accident, you didn’t have a claim. When insurers seek clarification you should be OK

Yeah its annoying when dealing with online quotes that's its a simple yes or no.

If yes then I'm forced to ring

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Have you or any driver who will drive the car been involved in an accident or suffered any losses in the past 3 years or have any outstanding or pending claims?

So for a question like this you would say "yes"

Assuming the accident was within the last 3 years you must answer "yes" on the basis of the form of the question. Doing so will keep you in the right !

Advertisement