Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garden Furniture Paint?

• 17-07-2019 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. Have a large out door set of furniture, I never bought a cover for it and it looks well weather beathen. My wife wants to sell but I am looking to breathe some new life into it. It is canadian something wood. I bought it years ago and it was expensive.

I was thinking of maybe undercoat and then a colour paint onto it?

Or in the current state could you use some sort of oil to put onto it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

don't paint it.
    look at the sadolins range of breathable, coloured paints.
    they have a wide range

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

There's a ronseal product for that. It will get rid of the Grey look

Can't think of the name, but most DIY stores should have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

How much do you want to spend on it OP?

This stuff is expensive but works

Cleaner Owatrol Net-Troll https://www.igoe.ie/shop/64/owatrol_net-trol/

Then when totally dry finish with Owatrol Deks Olje D1 https://www.igoe.ie/shop/58/owatrol_deks_olje_d1/ and wipe it over with the same stuff once a year.

Or another possible finish that I like is Owatrol Textrol Clear https://www.igoe.ie/shop/69/owatrol_textrol_clear/ but the Deks Olje D1 gives a better look on hardwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

That stuff looks the business.... Getting some fencing done shortly (most prob red cedar) - Ill be sure to bang the Owatrol Textrol Clear onto it when it goes up.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    That stuff looks the business.... Getting some fencing done shortly (most prob red cedar) - Ill be sure to bang the Owatrol Textrol Clear onto it when it goes up.

To use textrol the wood needs to have weathered a bit, for at least 6 months preferably 12. Put on fresh timber it sits on the surface it works best when it can soak in without leaving any on the surface.

However with fence panels they may be dry and weathered enough to take a coat straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Contacted Ronseal and they recommended https://www.ronseal.com/for-garden/garden-furniture/furniture-cleaning/hardwood-garden-furniture-restorer/

I guess this is the same stuff as posted above?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Contacted Ronseal and they recommended https://www.ronseal.com/for-garden/garden-furniture/furniture-cleaning/hardwood-garden-furniture-restorer/

Might be but I know the net-trol works its been around for years. It used to be hard to find but now a lot of builders merchants have it as the company seem to have much more active reps the last couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

definitely oil instead of paint. Once a year if you leave it outside all winter but easy to do and doesn't involving scraping off paint once it starts to flake.

Hard to tell from your pic but it looks like there's a fair bit of dirt in the wood grain. If it was mine I'd give it a decent sanding first, maybe 80 followed by 120 and then a wipe on oil suitable for outdoors. Depending on the oil maybe a couple of coats with a lightly sanding between coats. Very quick to apply oil, just a lint free cloth wrapped in a ball around cotton wool so you'd get through it in no time.

Apart from just needing a clean the wood looks in good condition with nice grain showing so oil will really bring that out. Paint would just hide it.

Check out these guys -> https://osmouk.com/sitechapter.cfm?chapter=62&page=240

They're expensive but very good quality. I've only used their indoor stuff for floors to date but very hard wearing. Planning on buying some outdoor oil by the end of the summer for some chairs that are getting a bit worn.

btw don't use a powerhose to clean it. That will just remove any oils the wood has left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yep, that's what I used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

100% use oil instead of any paint...sanding and scraping nooks and crannies will drive you demented.

I would powerhose it to clean them prior to first oiling.

• Advertisement

Got stuff today, will start tomorrow on the table and see how it works out

Also got some sort of varnish for the furniture.....looks ok, same brand for both, I think ronseal but maybe something else, the big brands anwyay

Got stuff today, will start tomorrow on the table and see how it works out

Also got some sort of varnish for the furniture.....looks ok, same brand for both, I think ronseal but maybe something else, the big brands anwyay

I really hope you don't actually mean varnish? Varnish is a surface treatment like paint. All the good suggestions here have been for products that soak into the wood. Varnish is far to high maintenance for garden furniture once it starts to get old its a massive job to redo it but the other products recommended just need "topping up" and are far less work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^ times a million

If you don't get something oil based you will regret it forever

my3cents wrote: »
    I really hope you don't actually mean varnish? Varnish is a surface treatment like paint. All the good suggestions here have been for products that soak into the wood. Varnish is far to high maintenance for garden furniture once it starts to get old its a massive job to redo it but the other products recommended just need "topping up" and are far less work.

No idea what it is, will check later....just picked it off the shelf

This wooden stuff is too Hugh maintenance, flog it and buy easy furniture

Don’t worry I’m not that quick?m, if I get the wood stripped back today I will be hitting the couch with a beer

Cuprinol garden furniture stain mahogany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

You should've gone for the owatrol. Came on looking for advice then just ignored it 😔

Tails142 wrote: »
    You should've gone for the owatrol. Came on looking for advice then just ignored it 😔

Thanks for your comment

You trying to get lost count up?

Cuprinol garden furniture stain mahogany

Just to confirm, I went to get the furniture restorer...I seen a pot of stuff and bought it but the hardware place is around the corner

If and that’s a big if I get the whole thing done today it will be next week before I even get to think about putting anything on it.....hence why I posted here before even starting.....

I will spend on proper stuff if the restorer works

It’s table with 8 chairs, it ain’t getting done quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Sorry came across a bit harsh. That owatrol stuff is the business. Would reccommend it.

PostCount++

• Advertisement

Some feedback, I started earlier. I put one coat on the table top but when removing what it seemed to be taking off is just the thick layer of dirt off the top and not really getting into the table....

So for the rest of the chairs I have decided to power wash all of it and then use the restorer as it might work better....

So a few horus later all the chairs are washed down....

This is the outcome from the table after it dried....I think it might need another go with restorer....

I found what I used the last time, many years ago....it was Cuprinol Teak Oil

Don't look bad, certainly worth a bit of effort. Teak oil is as good as any on that sort of wood.

Don't look bad, certainly worth a bit of effort. Teak oil is as good as any on that sort of wood.

You think the table top needs another coat of restorer?

I have 8 chairs to do so looks like this will take a while, might order the proper stuff as the Teak Oil is well shot at this stage, in shed years.

Also invested in a furniture cover, if this is done and done right then I dont want to do again next year......

My Misses came out and just told me it was gone and sell it, see if I can get 500 quid.....we paid I think 3k for it about 4 years ago :eek:

You think the table top needs another coat of restorer?

I have 8 chairs to do so looks like this will take a while, might order the proper stuff as the Teak Oil is well shot at this stage, in shed years.

Also invested in a furniture cover, if this is done and done right then I dont want to do again next year......

My Misses came out and just told me it was gone and sell it, see if I can get 500 quid.....we paid I think 3k for it about 4 years ago :eek:

I wouldn't spend much more time with the stuff you have cleaning it. I doubt it will do much better. The teak oil (it doesn't go off so any you still have will be fine) will add a lot of colour, not as good as new but it should "lift" the look. Try the teak oil you have on the underside of the table.

I wouldn't spend much more time with the stuff you have cleaning it. I doubt it will do much better. The teak oil (it doesn't go off so any you still have will be fine) will add a lot of colour, not as good as new but it should "lift" the look. Try the teak oil you have on the underside of the table.

I plan on doing it once and right, might as well buy some stuff....I have a big old container and it doesn't look great, I would say air was at it for a while.....

I plan on doing it once and right, might as well buy some stuff....I have a big old container and it doesn't look great, I would say air was at it for a while.....

Well use the old stuff on the underside anyway it really doesn't go off, save throwing it out and put the new stuff on the surfaces you can see.

Well use the old stuff on the underside anyway it really doesn't go off, save throwing it out and put the new stuff on the surfaces you can see.

It lashing here now so will be another days work :P

It lashing here now so will be another days work :P

It will still be dry underneath :pac:

Advertisement