Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training

Options
  • 14-07-2019 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭

Good morning, I'm currently looking at trying my first adventure race.

A few questions on training. I can't swim at the moment so am looking at ones with a kayak run.

I am of reasonable fitness, I can run 6 to 7km at the moment easily enough. I have done some endurance challenges, mainly hillwalking. I haven't been on a bike in a few years so am looking at getting a road bike to obviously use in the race and train on beforehand. I have kayaked only a few times before but it is usually only 500 to 750 metres so I am not worried by this. I am looking at a couple of kayathlon events, with splits like this, 15km cycle, 5km run, 1km kayak, 15km cycle to start with.

1. Is it reasonable to try a 35km one first, or am I setting the bar too low and should I aim at 60km ish? I feel like a 35 km is well within reach but I'd be wary of the longer ones. I am able to push myself but as I say I've not done this before.

2. I would be concentrating on getting some long cycles in for the 4 weeks from the start of August. Along with trying to increase running distance. Is it a good idea to go with say 3 cycles a week 20 to 30km and a couple of 10km runs, would this be good prep?

3. Is 6 weeks enough time to prepare for one of these events? Or am I just kidding myself. I am assuming I would manage it ok. Aim for the first one I do would be to just finish it. I'd like to have the capability (if I enjoy it) to do a 60km approx version by mid October, do the experienced heads here think that is possible with a bit of work and effort?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if you have had this kind of post a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

Hi all, in follow up to this if anyone has any suggestions of any essential essential gear that I should shell out on please let me know.

Is a tri suit a must? Any recommendations?

Also, are trail runners a must? I'm willing to buy these at a cost but I need to budget a little on this

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Spritzer

Jim,Adventure racing is great fun. If you havn't done one before, I suggest that you start with a shorter distance and see how you go. The Kyaking leg works well even for those that havn't any previous experience. Usually you get to the water and jump on two at a time (unless in the elite group who usually go out individually).
    For the cycle think about shoes...I generally change my pedels for the event and wear runners on the bike, it saves bringing bike shoes (remember you have to carry everything you need).
    For the run, if its up a mountain you are probably best to wear cross-trainers it can get slippy on the way down.
    Its usually compulsory to carry a long sleeve jacket (try getting a light weight wind sheeter type that can fold up small)and an emergency kit which can be purchased in most bike shops usually €10. It contains a silver emergency blanket, a bandage, a whistle, a sling and pins, & plasters and
    A lot of people carry bags on their back. I have reduced my kit down to fitting everything I need in my cycle jersey pockets (for the events up to 30k). Take out any extra packaging out of the emergency kit, like instruction leaflet (you can read before you discard it).
    Pocket 1 can have your emergency kit
    Middle pocket can have your jacket
    Pocket 3 can have snack, gels etc

If you are generally fit and run frequently then you will find the short distances handy. If you are training six weeks prior to event and feel fit enought to try the longer distance go for it but having one short one done gives you a better idea of how you will go on the longer distances. Once you have done one you will be hooked. Have fun and enjoy the thrill

Spritzer wrote: »
    Jim,Adventure racing is great fun. If you havn't done one before, I suggest that you start with a shorter distance and see how you go. The Kyaking leg works well even for those that havn't any previous experience. Usually you get to the water and jump on two at a time (unless in the elite group who usually go out individually).
    For the cycle think about shoes...I generally change my pedels for the event and wear runners on the bike, it saves bringing bike shoes (remember you have to carry everything you need).
    For the run, if its up a mountain you are probably best to wear cross-trainers it can get slippy on the way down.
    Its usually compulsory to carry a long sleeve jacket (try getting a light weight wind sheeter type that can fold up small)and an emergency kit which can be purchased in most bike shops usually €10. It contains a silver emergency blanket, a bandage, a whistle, a sling and pins, & plasters and
    A lot of people carry bags on their back. I have reduced my kit down to fitting everything I need in my cycle jersey pockets (for the events up to 30k). Take out any extra packaging out of the emergency kit, like instruction leaflet (you can read before you discard it).
    Pocket 1 can have your emergency kit
    Middle pocket can have your jacket
    Pocket 3 can have snack, gels etc

If you are generally fit and run frequently then you will find the short distances handy. If you are training six weeks prior to event and feel fit enought to try the longer distance go for it but having one short one done gives you a better idea of how you will go on the longer distances. Once you have done one you will be hooked. Have fun and enjoy the thrill

Thanks Spritzer. Yes my thinking as well, don't jump gun just do the short and go from there.
    That's really helpful stuff that I didn't know, thanks. I'll look into all this prior to taking part. I'm a long way from starting as I'm away until the first week of August for work but , I will be buying a bike then and kicking off the training, I'm running while away to keep on top of it. Been a few years since I cycled but I always enjoyed it. Are the small tyres hard to get used to? I would have been on a mountain bike as a young fella.

I like the optimism :) I'm excited to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Check these guys out for races they do one in Dublin which has two distances 29km and 49km and kayak is part of the race.

https://gaelforceevents.com

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭griffin100

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Good morning, I'm currently looking at trying my first adventure race.

A few questions on training. I can't swim at the moment so am looking at ones with a kayak run.

I am of reasonable fitness, I can run 6 to 7km at the moment easily enough. I have done some endurance challenges, mainly hillwalking. I haven't been on a bike in a few years so am looking at getting a road bike to obviously use in the race and train on beforehand. I have kayaked only a few times before but it is usually only 500 to 750 metres so I am not worried by this. I am looking at a couple of kayathlon events, with splits like this, 15km cycle, 5km run, 1km kayak, 15km cycle to start with.

1. Is it reasonable to try a 35km one first, or am I setting the bar too low and should I aim at 60km ish? I feel like a 35 km is well within reach but I'd be wary of the longer ones. I am able to push myself but as I say I've not done this before.

2. I would be concentrating on getting some long cycles in for the 4 weeks from the start of August. Along with trying to increase running distance. Is it a good idea to go with say 3 cycles a week 20 to 30km and a couple of 10km runs, would this be good prep?

3. Is 6 weeks enough time to prepare for one of these events? Or am I just kidding myself. I am assuming I would manage it ok. Aim for the first one I do would be to just finish it. I'd like to have the capability (if I enjoy it) to do a 60km approx version by mid October, do the experienced heads here think that is possible with a bit of work and effort?

Many thanks in advance and sorry if you have had this kind of post a lot.

Look at the slowest 10% of finishers times across the different distances in last years version of the race you are considering and honestly ask yourself could you run / cycle for that length of time. Then pick the distance that suits.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Look at the slowest 10% of finishers times across the different distances in last years version of the race you are considering and honestly ask yourself could you run / cycle for that length of time. Then pick the distance that suits.

Is there a website for these results? Finding it hard to find any full results. Appreciate your reply

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Check these guys out for races they do one in Dublin which has two distances 29km and 49km and kayak is part of the race.

https://gaelforceevents.com

Thanks, based in cork but I'll certainly check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Haven't tried it so cannot comment, but it is local for you ...

http://bantrybayadventurerace.com

Haven't tried it so cannot comment, but it is local for you ...

http://bantrybayadventurerace.com

I am away for a short few days that week, but I'm thinking I'm going to sign for the knock me down challenge rather than mor in Newcastle Tipp for 7th Sept. 35km. Mor I'd love to try but I don't know if I'd make the last cycle.

Knockmealdown active run it.

Advertisement