Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearing issues using shimano 105 on carrera

Options
  • 05-07-2019 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have one of those older carreras from Halfords, the yellow and black ones that are everywhere. I wanted more gears so swapped out the cassette for a shimano 8 cog cassette and got a shimano 11 speed rear derailleur. I replaced the gear cables and everything was working fine till recently. The gear changing is no longer as clean as it was and its sounding very noisy. Will acquiring shimano shifters fix the issue ? currently the old Carrera shifters are still on the bike. Alternatively could I put an 11 cog cassette on the bike ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

TriFirst wrote: »
    I have one of those older carreras from Halfords, the yellow and black ones that are everywhere. I wanted more gears so swapped out the cassette for a shimano 8 cog cassette and got a shimano 11 speed rear derailleur. I replaced the gear cables and everything was working fine till recently. The gear changing is no longer as clean as it was and its sounding very noisy. Will acquiring shimano shifters fix the issue ? currently the old Carrera shifters are still on the bike. Alternatively could I put an 11 cog cassette on the bike ?

8 speed cassette anf 11 speed rear mech?? Seriously? Trolling, right??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH wrote: »
    8 speed cassette anf 11 speed rear mech??

the gaps between the sprockets is different from 8 to 11 so it should never work perfectly. what you would have to use is a shifter without and index ( thumb shifter fitterd at bottom of handlebar

but seriously it would be best to use 1 system ( though i use sometimes a 10 speed cassete in a 9 speed bike vica versa and it does work more or less but that for emergency commuting if i puncture .

the other question is of course what chain are you using ( an 8 speed chain ? they are again all a bit different .

and no you can not put an 11 cog cassette on ( as the freehub needs to b e wider you could use an edco cassetter but they are quite dear or you woud need to buy a differetn freehub) but a 10 speed cassette with a 10 speed chain will work perfectly with an 11 shifter derailer as the spacing between the gears is the same

so the easiest would be if you find a front dereileur bar and shifter . which you can adjust as you want and you should find them for very little money on ebay .

the other thing if it worked ok initially you just have to adjust the dereillur ( likely the gear shifter cable streched a bit and thats why you have more noise ( but 8 and 10 or 11 just donst work well

i hope that helps a bit and if not just gogle compatabily of gear systems and you will see that the 11 speed is the first time in a long while that shimano and campagno cog are compatable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

peter kern wrote: »
    BTH wrote: »
    8 speed cassette anf 11 speed rear mech??

the gaps between the sprockets is different from 8 to 11 so it should never work perfectly. what you would have to use is a shifter without and index ( thumb shifter fitterd at bottom of handlebar

but seriously it would be best to use 1 system ( though i use sometimes a 10 speed cassete in a 9 speed bike vica versa and it does work more or less but that for emergency commuting if i puncture .

the other question is of course what chain are you using ( an 8 speed chain ? they are again all a bit different .

and no you can not put an 11 cog cassette on ( as the freehub needs to b e wider you could use an edco cassetter but they are quite dear or you woud need to buy a differetn freehub) but a 10 speed cassette with a 10 speed chain will work perfectly with an 11 shifter derailer as the spacing between the gears is the same

so the easiest would be if you find a front dereileur bar and shifter . which you can adjust as you want and you should find them for very little money on ebay .

the other thing if it worked ok initially you just have to adjust the dereillur ( likely the gear shifter cable streched a bit and thats why you have more noise ( but 8 and 10 or 11 just donst work well

i hope that helps a bit and if not just gogle compatabily of gear systems and you will see that the 11 speed is the first time in a long while that shimano and campagno cog are compatable ...

Fair play that's the exact answer I was looking for. The bike is used to commute and as I said for a couple of years there was no issue with noise till now. I'm guessing you're correct about the gear cables stretching over time, combined with the differences you've outlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

ok so then your rear deraileur has this big black screw you need to adjust (watch a few videos on youtube on gear adjusting ) can be a 10 second job or a bit longer ...( its something i still mange to screw up from time to time after many many years of doing it )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Carrera TDF shifters were Shimano Claris perhaps?

Not being smart but even as a beater/commuter a TDF is tough work!

Are you in the market for a pre-loved bike of any kind?

• Advertisement
Advertisement