Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurer refuses to provide policy schedule

Options
  • 23-07-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I insured 15 hectares of Sitka Spruce for the first time last August. I agreed the details of cover with the insurance company in general terms, and got a document that outlines this. But I never received a document that really gets into the nitty gritty of the terms and conditions (I believe this is called a policy schedule).

Now it's time to renew, and I've asked to see the future policy schedule. The insurance company has responded that I can have this after payment is made! I got a similar response from a second insurance company. This seems highly strange to me: both are selling a product, but refuse to provide the exact details of what it entails until the product has been purchased.

How can this be legal/normal? :(

HB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Do they have something to hide ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HB1024

I asked the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. They confirmed that prior to issuing insurance, an insurer must provide details to the consumer about the policy so that he/she understands it, but isn't obliged to provide the complete schedule.

Seems insane to me, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

HB1024 wrote: »
    I asked the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission. They confirmed that prior to issuing insurance, an insurer must provide details to the consumer about the policy so that he/she understands it, but isn't obliged to provide the complete schedule.

Seems insane to me, but there you go.

I'd ask if a full refund is available should you on have a problem with a part of the complete schedule, and for how long, 14 days perhaps

tim

Advertisement