Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fascia/Soffit - Plastic or Aluminium

Options
  • 28-03-2005 8:42pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads
    Thinking of putting in black fascia and soffit in the hut, now I would be able to do the plastic facia ourselves so would work out cheaper, now someone told me that the black will fade, anyone agree?

So that leaves the aluminium, what do ye think of it, a bit tinee.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

yop wrote:
    Lads
    Thinking of putting in black fascia and soffit in the hut, now I would be able to do the plastic facia ourselves so would work out cheaper, now someone told me that the black will fade, anyone agree?

So that leaves the aluminium, what do ye think of it, a bit tinee.

Cheers

Hi Yop,

Black or bronze/ woodgrain pvc windows and doors , have heavier wall extrusions due to their characteristic to hold heat much more than say white pvc. This being the case they are more susceptible to stresses due to heat. This retention of heat is probably the cause of any fading in colour of dark pvc products, although I have never seen any.

I wonder is the heat retention factor a cause in black slate discolouration as well, maybe Rooferpete might enlighten us

If you are doing the pvc yourselves, the aluminium shouldn't be much more difficult. Not too sure cost wise though.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Yop,

If you check out the guarantees on most of the big PVC window manufacturers "Terms and Conditions" you will find white PVC has the ten year guarantee but the brown timber look a like has seven years.

Then look at black PVC gutters on a 15 > 20 year old house and you will see it has turned grey or is well on the way with streaks especially on south facing elevations.

PVC migrates and becomes unstable all it takes is time, that is why you now see the the description PVCu, that is supposed to mean the PVC is stable against UV.

I asked why the difference in the guarantees ?, the answer I got was not very convincing it appears the "New PVCu" is still not time proven and there may be differences in the colours over time.

I have fitted PVC facia and found strange brown marks on some of the lengths, that is why I only buy Marley rain water products, it's not that I know they are the best, in fairness they are better than a lot of imports.

My reason for staying with Marley is they are manufactured in Lucan and owned by The Grafton Group, (Chadwicks, Woodys etc) so if a customer has a problem I can go straight to the source who will (so far) back up their products.

The problem with fitting aluminium yourself is it can look terrible if you don't have a "Brake" or folder for the off standard pieces, also the aluminium is usually coated with a PVC product.

If using the aluminium and getting seamless gutters to match I would recommend you stay away from the long spike fixings, they are proven to me and many others to pull away in a short time.

In the US where seamless is almost the only option the majority of installers have switched to hangers.

If I was building my own house and had a big budget I would be using Alumasc or Cast Iron or even copper, in fact copper facia and gutters would be a real high class job, their is another alternative Rheinzinc but again expensive.

Not much help I'm afraid if anything causing more questions than answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Dont know if this has any relevance to the matter at hand, but my parents got woodgrain Pvc on windows and front door about two years ago.The front door which is woodgrain Pvc at corners of panels it has cracked very badly.Ive said this to parents and said if rain etc gets in it will expand plus it might get worse over a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kadman wrote:
    I wonder is the heat retention factor a cause in black slate discolouration as well,
    Actually white things will retain their heat longer, they just take longer to heat up, a black item will get hotter quicker but will also cool down faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cristinapta

aluminium will be better. this is suggested from a aluminium extrusion plant.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement