Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faro tips

Options
  • 10-07-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

Looking to fly into faro the end of September with my OH for 3 nights. Would weather still be nice in algarve?? We are in our early 30s and love nice meals, relaxing by the beach and just wandering around new places. Can anyone recommend me anywhere to stay in Portugal not too far a distance from faro airport? We'd like a nice hotel/resort with buffet breakfast and maybe a pool, close enough to a nice beach etc?! Not looking for clubs etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

We stayed in the Pestana Viking about a 15min walk from Armacao
    Buffet breakfast was fantastic
    Bar across road for snacks and a beer and a nice stroll into town for restaurants
    Pool
    Beach below it but a hidden one 2 min walk away down a lane

4star and recommend it

If you want 5star luxury there is Vilalara up the road

The hidden beach is called Redondo da Cova I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We stayed in Olhao to the east of faro.
    It was a more Portuguese feel to the holiday. Didn't have warm beer and fry ups in our faces all week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Second Olhao. Only few Kms from airport. We stayed Real Marina hotel, also stayed another time in their APTS, both times great. Hotel has indoor & outdoor pool. No beach as such but for a few euro each, you can take trip on ferry to nearby islands with beach and cafes. Some lovely restaurants along the harbour front and lots more up in the town. Hope to go back later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Third Olhao. I first went there in 1984 and have been back a few times. Not much has changed. The ferry ride to nearby Armona or Farol is wonderful on a hot day and all the summer crowds will be gone in September.

Can't advise on hotels as we rented privately both time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Another vote for Olhao and the Real Marina. Close to the airport, cheaper than most other places around there, nice hotel, and there are water taxis etc to take you to the islands with beaches etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,306 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We stayed in Olhao to the east of faro.
    It was a more Portuguese feel to the holiday. Didn't have warm beer and fry ups in our faces all week

I stayed there too , the sea food festival was on

http://www.festivaldomarisco.com/artistas
    Europe were playing the year i was there, the final countdown is great live!!! My daughters first concert a teal treat

It was fantastic, real Portuguese and not touristy.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭coleen

We have stayed in Faro nice feel to it and you can take the ferry to some lovely beaches. Nice marina old town and restaurants also we have stayed in Tavira we went there on the train from Faro for a few euro again it had a very Portuguese’s feel to it. Weather should be nice at that time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Quarteria would suit. Lovely beach, and excellent local restaurants much cheaper than Villamoura which is close. We stayed in an apartment booked on AirBnB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Second Olhao. Only few Kms from airport. We stayed Real Marina hotel, also stayed another time in their APTS, both times great. Hotel has indoor & outdoor pool. No beach as such but for a few euro each, you can take trip on ferry to nearby islands with beach and cafes. Some lovely restaurants along the harbour front and lots more up in the town. Hope to go back later this year.

We stayed in the apartment. Really nice with small pool on the rooftop.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

finbarrk wrote: »
    Quarteria would suit. Lovely beach, and excellent local restaurants much cheaper than Villamoura which is close. We stayed in an apartment booked on AirBnB.

I stayed in Quartiera last year and really enjoyed it.
    Would anyone be able to recommend somewhere other than Quartiera for late August away from all the tourists? Olhao seems to get alot of mentions but rather somewhere where the beach is on the door step...

Quartiera was great but fancy going somewhere different this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

Armacao Dr Pera? Fantastic beach. Less touristy than other resorts. Can be slightly off putting at first when you see high rises but we enjoyed it. Lovely old town area, good restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Olhos de aqua is lovely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Looking to fly into faro the end of September with my OH for 3 nights. Would weather still be nice in algarve?? We are in our early 30s and love nice meals, relaxing by the beach and just wandering around new places. Can anyone recommend me anywhere to stay in Portugal not too far a distance from faro airport? We'd like a nice hotel/resort with buffet breakfast and maybe a pool, close enough to a nice beach etc?! Not looking for clubs etc

Any hotel generally in Quinta de Lago is lovely, higher end market in all of Algarve.

Weather wise generally still mid to high twenties. Only ever experienced 2 days of rain in over 15 years travelling is September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

can you pm me some recommedations of accomodation as looking for alternatives to hotels

Advertisement