Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refused flight

Options
  • 15-07-2019 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I was traveling with my hubby and 2 small children from Spain to Birmingham yesterday. The flight was delayed 30 mins and we only just made the bag drop off for the transfer flight to dub but were told sorry too late. We had our boarding passes and both flights were Ryan air. The transfer departure was 825 pm and we were there at 745 to drop our bag and go board. There were no other flights after that one so we had to sleep in s hotel and try and get home today. What do people think of this and do you think we have any case to claim?? If the first flight hadn’t delayed we would have been fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Wallykazam wrote: »
    I was traveling with my hubby and 2 small children from Spain to Birmingham yesterday. The flight was delayed 30 mins and we only just made the bag drop off for the flight to dub but were told sorry too late. We had our boarding passes and both flights were Ryan air. The departure was 825 pm and we were there at 745 to drop our bag and go board. There were no other flights so we had to sleep in s hotel and try and get home today. What do people think of this and do you think we have any case to claim?? If the first flight hadn’t delayed we would have been fine

Unfortunately Ryanair are a point to point carrier and take zero responsibility for connections. You won't get compensation for that I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wallykazam

duffman13 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Ryanair are a point to point carrier and take zero responsibility for connections. You won't get compensation for that I'm afraid

What about the flight we couldn’t board? Can we get that back if we booked using credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If you have 2 separate tickets then the delay on the previous flight is not relevant. Perhaps your travel insurance can help, but you weren't leaving yourself much time if a half hour delay caused the problem.
    What about the flight we couldn’t board? Can we get that back if we booked using credit card

No, the flight was there for you, it was you who didn't come in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

Do you mean that you were at the check-in desk to do the 'bag drop' at 7:45pm, and the next flight had a departure time 8:25pm? If so I do not think they have done anything wrong here.

I know it is not what you want to hear but in future I would never leave so little time between two flights so that a 30 min delay would mess things up.

Concerning getting some money back, it could be the case that you can claim the tax back if you do not travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Claim off your travel insurance. No harm in calling the cc company and asking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

My base case is that Ryanair know what they are doing, and that if you are too late you are too late.

I'm assuming the issue is that you were dropping bags and were too late to do so, as you appear to have been on time for the boarding.

You may be able to claim it on travel insurance, some of these cover missed connections, otherwise I would write it off and learn from the experience.

These things happen, don't let it takeaway from the holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wallykazam

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    My base case is that Ryanair know what they are doing, and that if you are too late you are too late.

I'm assuming the issue is that you were dropping bags and were too late to do so, as you appear to have been on time for the boarding.

You may be able to claim it on travel insurance, some of these cover missed connections, otherwise I would write it off and learn from the experience.

These things happen, don't let it takeaway from the holiday.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Im so tired at this stage that I just needed a bit of perspective on the whole thing. We were on time for bag drop just about. The bag was on the revolving belt but then they said no sorry. Problem was because of flight delay emigration got swamped with our flight coming in later and delayed us more, anyway I’ll try claim in missed flight and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Why did they say "no" if you were on time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The bag was on the revolving belt but then they said no sorry.

So you would have had to collect it off the belt , exit the airport , go from arrivals to departures. Check your bag in and go back through security.

Not their fault. In future allow more time between flights , go direct or book with a airline that does connections

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

ted1 wrote: »
    So you would have had to collect it off the belt , exit the airport , go from arrivals to departures. Check your bag in and go back through security.

Not their fault. In future allow more time between flights , go direct or book with a airline that does connections

No, I'm reading that as the bag was on the belt at the bag drop, before they decided it was too late.

Sorry OP, that's sickening, but afraid you're probably out of luck unless travel insurance covers it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If you were at bag drop at 1945 for a 2025 departure then you were there 40 mins before so they should have checked your bags in. A minute later and they are with in their T&C"s to refuse your bags.

Can you prove what time exactly you arrived at the bag drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They clearly said they were at the bag drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, while you should really have planned for more time in transfer because of possible delays, you cut it too fine as you needed 40 minutes before boarding.
    40 minutes meaning checked in before that, not arriving then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you are travelling with young family its really not worth it to travel on two separate tickets with a short connection. Sounds like an awful evening but these things happen unfortunately. I used to connect a lot and gave up going on separate tickets. Its just too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

I'm in Spain doing dub - man - Spain.

I deliberately. Built in a 3 hour connect time just in case.

I think you cut it to tight and got caught.

fits wrote: »
    If you are travelling with young family its really not worth it to travel on two separate tickets with a short connection. Sounds like an awful evening but these things happen unfortunately. I used to connect a lot and gave up going on separate tickets. Its just too risky.

We flew out on Wednesday. 3 hours in the airport with a decent meal in antelope pub and the time flew.

If you have the cash to fly direct, do it. But 1400 direct v 850 via Manchester, the saving paid for my all inclusive car.

They clearly said they were at the bag drop off.

They clearly said revolving belt...

We flew out on Wednesday. 3 hours in the airport with a decent meal in antelope pub and the time flew.

If you have the cash to fly direct, do it. But 1400 direct v 850 via Manchester, the saving paid for my all inclusive car.

Tell you what you should have flown direct. And purchased an annual zero excess car hire insurance policy for 44 euro and saved on the all inclusive car

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Too close frankly, I’d rather have a three hour wait, relax and go grab a bite and have time to kill than be stressing and worrying about minutes, rushing through airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

They clearly said revolving belt...

If you only read half the thread. But you had to jump in with faux amazement that they could be at the baggage carousel.

Question for you genius, who would have denied them boarding at the baggage carousel for their incoming flight?

• Advertisement

If you only read half the thread. But you had to jump in with faux amazement that they could be at the baggage carousel.

Question for you genius, who would have denied them boarding at the baggage carousel for their incoming flight?
    1 of their party could have gone ahead to the desk....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭TheChizler

For the purpose of clarity I think the OP meant one of these...
    3407097943_0_huge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

fits wrote: »

Same here. It's too much hassle. And increases the chances of something going wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I waited around madrid the guts of the day sooner than attempt a bag claim, bag check and terminal change in 90 mins had i booked a later ryanair flight. The onward flight cost about €800. Not worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

The actual system shuts down automatically at 40 minutes so even if they wanted to, they couldn't have accommodated you.

You took a risk booking to separate flights without a protected connection and lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I often book two unconnected flights (no direct flights possible) and once you leave about 3 hours inbetween and never 2 or less it tends to be fine. I'm afraid you can't do much now but it's hardly some unreasonable risk like some make it out here. In 15 years I had one issue when someone got sick on the flight and we had to stop over in Brussels. The cost of extra flight was less than would be flying connect with Lufthansa or Air France and over the years we saved a huge amount in ticket prices. As long as you leave sensible amount of time between flight and take into account tjings could go wrong every so often you are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Where were you going in Spain that you couldn’t have flown direct from here or even into a city hub such as Barcelona or Madrid and got a train ? All that fûcking around in airports with bags can be counterproductive as you have found, to your cost.

Tell you what you should have flown direct. And purchased an annual zero excess car hire insurance policy for 44 euro and saved on the all inclusive car

If they will hire without a credit card...

Advertisement