Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbours dog

• 15-07-2019 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

I'm posting in PI rather than Animal/Pet or Accom/Property because it's a more sensitive issue.

My neighbour has a dog, and it will not stop barking. It isn't 24/7, but it's not far off it. His girlfriend shouts at the dog to get it to stop barking, but her shouting is probably nearly worse than the dog barking. The dog barks at anything. I dog sit a lot and when there is a dog in our house it just senses it and barks constantly. Our dog used to join in, but she's given up.

Here's where it gets a bit more complicated. The guy has special needs. I don't know the official diagnosis, but they exist. And so does his girlfriend. The dog was an attempt by his brothers to give him a bit of company and purpose after his father passed away unexpectedly a few months ago.

It's just my neighbour and the dog in the house - all of the other family members live elsewhere. The girlfriend spends some nights in the house - I only really know this because sometimes (like last night) she let the dog out to pee at 4.30 in the morning and proceeded to shout at her to go to the loo...

I don't want to stress either of them out by approaching them about it (they are quite sensitive) but the noise is really, really annoying. Would it be reasonable to approach one of the siblings if I see them, and ask them to have a word? Or is there a better way to do this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Hi sullivlo

Have you spoken to the sibling before? It sounds like the sibling might be the best bet if you've had an interaction with them previously.

If they both have special needs then they may not have the skills to train a dog properly and so the sibling is probably the best person to approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Hi sullivlo

Have you spoken to the sibling before? It sounds like the sibling might be the best bet if you've had an interaction with them previously.

If they both have special needs then they may not have the skills to train a dog properly and so the sibling is probably the best person to approach.
    Not really. This is my problem - I'd only know them to see and a quick wave or hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I agree with wiggle. I think approaching one of the siblings is the best way to try deal with this. Even if you don't know them, I'd try flag one of them down the next time they come by the house. Just introduce yourself and ask if they have a couple of minutes to chat about an issue you're having. Give it a bit of time then to see if anything changes, but if not, then try press it a bit more saying that the problem hasn't gotten any better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

What woodchuck said! :)

I suppose it depends on the nature of their disability but I would be careful about approaching someone who has special needs about something like this, I'd be afraid of a protective sibling getting the wrong end of the stick from your neighbour if they tell them you approached them about it, particularly if they are sensitive. It could backfire.

Think of it this way, if you knew your neighbour wasn't looking after themselves or was vulnerable or being taken advantage of in some way, you would make the sibling aware of it. This is no different really, except that it's a different issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Also what Woodchuck said, and I'd frame it as being concerned about the dog rather than being annoyed at the noise. And tbh, I would be concerned about it. Happy, content, well-exercised dogs don't bark all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’m no dog or human expert, but it sounds to me like the dog is reacting to its needs not being met, and that the owners aren’t fully capable of supplying those needs. Maybe it’s a walk/exercise, or maybe it’s rubs and attention it needs. Or both.

You mention you dog sit a lot. Sounds like you like dogs and are good with them. Could you maybe offer to take the dog for a walk some days? Maybe also get chatting to the neighbours and offer some friendly tips on how to manage a dog?

The constant barking could be stressing your neighbours out too, and they just don’t know how to handle it. So doing something to help the dog might end up helping everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Your dogsitdog recripocating makes your complaint a bit trickier. It may come across that the different dogs in yiur house are stimulating/affecting this dog; or that 'your' dog is part of the issue or that they could have a recripocal complaint against you and your 'business', or that you ate looking for business off them.

Youday the guy is lonely and has special needs - what kind & what kind of age is he? This might affect your approach.

I would also be very aware that by complaining you become part of the problem and involved in his situation and care outcomes. Do you really want this? Your actual solutions re noise are interpersonal or legal and if the judge decides the mans special needs override you and your dogs needs then you have set oiurself for a lot of potential hassle.

Is the dog young? What kind is it?wjen and how long does it bark for typically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Your dogsitdog recripocating makes your complaint a bit trickier. It may come across that the different dogs in yiur house are stimulating/affecting this dog; or that 'your' dog is part of the issue or that they could have a recripocal complaint against you and your 'business', or that you ate looking for business off them.

Youday the guy is lonely and has special needs - what kind & what kind of age is he? This might affect your approach.

I would also be very aware that by complaining you become part of the problem and involved in his situation and care outcomes. Do you really want this? Your actual solutions re noise are interpersonal or legal and if the judge decides the mans special needs override you and your dogs needs then you have set oiurself for a lot of potential hassle.

Is the dog young? What kind is it?wjen and how long does it bark for typically?

I don't have a dogsitting business. My uncle has a dog. His dog gets carsick. He is away a lot with work and he has a mobile home down the country, when he is not there the dog is here. It's always the same dog, and the dogs have been introduced and are okay together. "My" dog is sick of the other dog at this stage. If she's in the garden and the other dog starts to bark, she comes and knocks on the door to come in.

So it's not a business. I don't make money from it. I don't want to dogsit other dogs.

I'm going to get a dog, and just before the other dog arrived next door I was visiting dogs to get, but I simply won't get a dog when the other dog is barking constantly.

Age wise - he's in his 40s. I'm not sure of the specific diagnosis, but he has learning difficulties. The dog was an alternative to having someone move in to the house to keep him company after his father passed away.

The dog typically barks any time she is in the garden. She can be out any time during the day - so from morning until night. She is also sometimes out in the middle of the night and frequently barks at 4.30/5am. As I type, I'm in the kitchen and the windows and doors are closed and I can hear the dog yapping.

An additional challenge: my great aunt lives in a granny flat in our garden. She has learning difficulties and dementia, and the dog keeps her awake at night and stresses her out during the day. Whenever I see her, which is obviously daily as I care for her, her opening words are "will that bloody dog ever shut up". Her welfare is important to me too.

Just as an aside - I'm not the only person with an issue with the dog. Other neighbours have the same concern, but due to his needs its a sensitive topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ah - hats a very different thing so re the dogsit (ing). I'd bite the bullet and get onto the family of the man - too many factors here to put up with that - of course their solution might be to keep the dog in the house where it might bark and drive you madder. Woild that be preferable? Or they might just get rid of the dog - maybe adopting an older cat might be the golden bullet? Still keep him company, quieter, dosn't need walking and win't infuriate the neighbours. Seems fair...

Good luck with them. Having the neighbours seperately approach them too might be of help - if only one speaks up it is not seen as ad mych of an issue. If you all get togetger and agree the desired outcome and present a proposal you have a greater chance. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rondog

OP-under no circumstances should you be putting up with this.

The law states you should be able to enjoy your own home and if the dog is depriving you of sleep that is unacceptable.
    Such situations can be very damaging to someone,increase in stress due to barking,fatigue due to missed sleep.

Approach the Siblings and tell them its affecting you.See if anything is put in place.If it continues approach the Sibling and document any actions you take.

if it persists you can apply to the district court,if the neighbour is not able to represent himself due to mental handicap in anyway then direct the action at the sibling or someone who is the guardian.

As someone who had to deal with an inconsiderate neighbour these are the best steps.No one should have to listen to dogs barking at those ungodly hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Earplugs for sleeping for the mo.

I am going to tell you all I know about dogs and barking and also all i know about how to deal with sensitive owners and their dogs. (training the humans is half the battle). If you want to skip the dog part and go to the human part i will mark them out.

ABOUT DOGS.

What breed is the dog? Some breeds bark more than others and for different reasons to other dogs. Was the dog always like this or is this new? If its new it could be a phase that will wear off. There could be something usual in the house or the dog's life that you don't know about that won't be there in 6 weeks.

For most breeds dog bark for attention they are not getting. Or being left alone in a room.

Other breeds like Dachshunds, Bealges and Yorkshire terriers are actually BRED to bark. Dachshunds etc they were watchdogs and bred to find and hunt badgers and ALERT their owners to the presence of badgers. They NEED to alert their owner to the wind or a leaf or ants. So do beagles. Beagles were bred to bray, howl, and alert hunters about foxes or other animals being pursued. Yorkshire terriers were bred originally to go down yorkshire MINES and kill rats also to go down badger holes and fox dens.

So when you understand what the real working purpose of these dogs were you understand they were bred to be well hard. Stubborn and barky to be small enough for confined spaces but not to be afraid of being small. Their main weapon was to find the fox/rat/badger and then the human would come and deal with it.

Terrier motto if they had a coat of arms would be 'Tell the whole word as loud as you can and Never back down'. And to be honest with beagles and Dachshunds its like they need to express themselves. You can go and show them there is nothing there but it doesn't matter. Also during the night in the dark they tend to be more reactive every little sound etc and its even wore if you ARE in the room with them. 'I have to tell my owner' is bred into them and its actually sometimes WORSE with their owner around. Our dachshund was like this. He barked most at other things around him when he was sitting on your lap. He would wake up barking in his sleep. We used a combination of calming pheromones and training. He is much better now. He is also much happier. He needed training and just some sensitivity to his reactivity and a lot of desensitization. He rarely barks now sometimes not even when people come to the door.

Other dogs barking will also set them off. They have to be desensitized to this through training.

Some people also use bark collars. These have a microphone that trigger an aversion stimulus like a mild shock ..static noise or a smell of citronella. They have advantages and drawbacks. Sometimes they work straight away. However because its triggered by a microphone and sound this means they can go off sometimes even if you dog doesn't bark. If this happens a lot then it will only confuse the dog. But you don't have to put them on all day. A few hrs can a day can help train a dog and if its inside its unlikely to go off unless the dog barks but obv don't put it on unsupervised. You need to be around your dog when they have one on. .. Some dogs are VERY stubborn though and don't respond to it or it actually makes them worse as they bark in response to the stimulus they get from the collar. But some respond well and don't mind it. Its very individual. And of course you must check with the vet etc some dogs might be old or have a medical condition.

ABOUT HUMANS.

Then there is the other kind of excessive barking. It comes from being left alone a lot or under stimulated. It happens in all breeds. You have to ask 'WHY is the dog barking?' Is the dog barking for attention? Then the dog needs to lean it doesnt get attention for barking. But DOES get attention when being quiet. Also leave toys and stimulation when the dog is alone. If our dog is being left alone downstairs for any length of time we turn the radio on. Also dogs need human company a lot.

Also its clear they don't understand dog training etc and don't know how to handle the animal.

You can simply say 'I notice your dog barks a lot I saw this interesting video on that on youtube explaining dog behavior you should check it out. It can't be easy for you guys to have to deal with him he must drive YOU demented you poor things'.

If you are really desperate and open to this. Maybe just say something to him and ask nicely if he would let you pay for dog training. The DSPCA do it. I know its a lot to ask you to pay but it might motivate him. If you are worried about HOW to do this and tell them i would do it this way. Buy a voucher for the course from the DSPCA. Any time you see an opportunity to gift it to them do it. Anytime they do a favor for you or something.

It can be really frustrating for an owner when they don't understand their dog and why they are doing what they do and why they cannot control this in the dog. Its also frustrating for the dog.

The DSPCA level 1 course is 4 weeks 135 euro and covers things like excessive barking and chewing etc.
    https://dspcadogtraining.ie/dog-training-classes/level-one-training/

Before you train the dogs you actually have to train the humans.

There are also videos online that cover how to stop a dog barking.

Its a slow process though. So even if they try you will have to be understanding. It won't happen overnight. So just because you don't see immediate results doesn't mean they are not trying. Our dog took three months to respond.

If your neighbors dog doesn't improve and was always like this then I would say something.

I know that is along post I apologize for that. But i hope i have given you or someone else out there some helpful knowledge.

Advertisement