Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio show name

Options
  • 02-07-2019 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

I'm pitching an idea for a radio show and I want to play music you don't hear but should and others you hardly hear any of, examples:

2 cellos, bruce springsteen albums, lorde, mumford and sons, pentatonix, lacuna coil, within temptation and rammstein etc

Any ideas on what i could call it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

"Your Call" or "Our Call"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm pitching an idea for a radio show and I want to play music you don't hear but should and others you hardly hear any of, examples:

2 cellos, bruce springsteen albums, lorde, mumford and sons, pentatonix, lacuna coil, within temptation and rammstein etc

Any ideas on what i could call it?

Whut?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The range of music you are looking to do, is too varied to maintain a steady listener base. Folks tuning in because you played Bruce Springsteen one week, will be confused as hell to hear Bück dich.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

The range of music you are looking to do, is too varied to maintain a steady listener base. Folks tuning in because you played Bruce Springsteen one week, will be confused as hell to hear Bück dich.

I'll scrap rammstein, that's way too out there. Any tips on the type of music I could do? Everyday radio seems boring to me and I dislike the vast majority of things they play. Seems to be the same material over and over and some of the music is beyond dated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

And within temptation and Laguna coil? It's a very small audience that'll listen to all that, and certainly on a mood basis, not all mixed in together.

You'll find the reasons behind your complaints discussed in depth on the radio forum. Just look through the nova thread as an example. That station barely fits its initial remit now.

• Advertisement

yes youre right there. ill leave those out too. stick to the reliable and try a new track here and there and see how they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The danger I see is that you'll keep watering down your original concept until it's an hour of Coldplay, and then you'll sound like every other radio show.

Before you get too caught up on a name make sure you have a clearly defined 'style' , be it eclectic mix or whatever.
    Don't rule any band in our out at this stage.
    Have a think about who your audience are. Is this a local radio station? Internet radio? Late night? Etc etc.

My current favourite radio music show follows the format of disco>80s>90s> rock> new Irish.

Within that the DJ has scope to slip in some jazz, hip-hop, rave, etc., but the skill is in bringing the listener along with you.
    This is a 7pm show on local radio.

Anyway, take my advice with a pinch of salt, I don't work in radio, just a listener.

noby wrote: »
    The danger I see is that you'll keep watering down your original concept until it's an hour of Coldplay, and then you'll sound like every other radio show.

Before you get too caught up on a name make sure you have a clearly defined 'style' , be it eclectic mix or whatever.
    Don't rule any band in our out at this stage.
    Have a think about who your audience are. Is this a local radio station? Internet radio? Late night? Etc etc.

My current favourite radio music show follows the format of disco>80s>90s> rock> new Irish.

Within that the DJ has scope to slip in some jazz, hip-hop, rave, etc., but the skill is in bringing the listener along with you.
    This is a 7pm show on local radio.

Anyway, take my advice with a pinch of salt, I don't work in radio, just a listener.

That's some really good stuff there. I guess I wanted so much variety I didn't think that I should do it slow and gauge from there.

disco>80s>90s> rock> new Irish is exactly what I want, I've stuff from every decade I want to play.

Advertisement