Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oasis

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Irish_rat wrote: »
    +1

The irony that anyone would take Noel's statements seriously :rolleyes:

Discodog wrote: »
    I think that it's a wonderful album & I really admire him for trying something new. It's easily my favourite & will be for some time.

Oh & yes I was a big Oasis fan :)

I am a big Oasis fan too. I initially liked it but it has gotten very stale already for me. I find myself going back to Liam's album more which has been out a longer time too.

Before the 2 albums were released I was hoping to get one good one and one meh one (just hoping Liam didn't embarass himself), I got what I was hoping for but just not the way I was expecting. Going to see him on the 20th, hopefully it translates well live.

I am a big Oasis fan too. I initially liked it but it has gotten very stale already for me. I find myself going back to Liam's album more which has been out a longer time too.

Before the 2 albums were released I was hoping to get one good one and one meh one (just hoping Liam didn't embarass himself), I got what I was hoping for but just not the way I was expecting. Going to see him on the 20th, hopefully it translates well live.

I am the opposite. The more I listen the more I like it. I think it's a great album.

Liam has bought in a team of writers to try & still be Oasis. Noel has moved on & reinvented himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Discodog wrote: »
    Liam has bought in a team of writers to try & still be Oasis. Noel has moved on & reinvented himself.

Please explain?

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Please explain?

This album is radically different to anything he's done before. He chose a different type of producer & wrote a lot in the studio.

He draws on a wide range of influences from psychedelia to 60s soul. It's nothing like an Oasis album.

He said that he doesn't care what the "Parka Monkeys" think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

The first two albums are good. The rest are pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dig out your soul is good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think after the first two albums and the Masterplan, which I'd consider their best album, the quality took a major dip. There's still the odd gem on each album after that but they became fewer and fewer as they went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I forgot all about The Masterplan album. I haven't heard that one. It was a good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

Oasis = Beatles 2.0...
    But in fairness, they were great at banging out a tune with a hook...and as a historic side note, Noels Gibson guitar previously belonged to Johnny Marr, and Johnny acquired it from Pete Townsend....now that's a guitar with a history...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I used to enjoy the first two Oasis albums. But as time goes on, the less I appreciate them. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I like Dig Out Your Soul too. Falling Down is a great tune. They did a lot for guitar music. A lot of the bands I enjoy today were inspired to start playing music because they were Oasis fans when they were kids. Kasabian, Arctic Monkeys etc

Noel HFB's were on the bbc. Amazing set - went down a storm. I was really impressed how good tracks from the new album sounded live at a festival

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Oasis = Beatles 2.0...

Never understood this, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rothko wrote: »
    Never understood this, tbh.

Dunno how you'd fail to see it :pac:

They modelled themselves on the beatles , they covered a number of their tunes I am the Walrus is even their 10th most played song live! Musically they weren't quite the morph of them but had embedded themselves in that era for influence Supersonic riff was T-rex's and Shakermakers melody they were even sued over.

Liam once said he was John Lennon incarnate :pac:

Their whole career has Beatles references throughout their songs!! Wonderwall arguably their most known song takes it's name from the George Harrison film of the same name, Supersonic again you can sail with me in my yellow submarine, Be Here Now - Sing a song for me one from Let it Be, Shock of the Lightning A Magical Mystery there is many many more! They shaggin' loved the Beatles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Dunno how you'd fail to see it :pac:

They modelled themselves on the beatles , they covered a number of their tunes I am the Walrus is even their 10th most played song live! Musically they weren't quite the morph of them but had embedded themselves in that era for influence Supersonic riff was T-rex's and Shakermakers melody they were even sued over.

Liam once said he was John Lennon incarnate :pac:

Their whole career has Beatles references throughout their songs!! Wonderwall arguably their most known song takes it's name from the George Harrison film of the same name, Supersonic again you can sail with me in my yellow submarine, Be Here Now - Sing a song for me one from Let it Be, Shock of the Lightning A Magical Mystery there is many many more! They shaggin' loved the Beatles!!

Just because they love the Beatles and make references to them doesn't mean they're a copycat band. Most of their songs sound very little like the Beatles as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Rothko wrote: »
    Just because they love the Beatles and make references to them doesn't mean they're a copycat band. Most of their songs sound very little like the Beatles as far as I'm concerned.

You're the only one suggesting they do seemingly :pac: If you read my post again I even state in it musically they weren't exactly a morph.

Sounds of their generation (even though Oasis failed to crack the states)
    Stones v Beatles/Oasis v Blur
    Manchester v Liverpool
    Egos - Beatles said they were bigger than Jesus, Oasis said they were bigger than the Beatles.

There is a multitude of reasons they get connected hence getting dubbed Beatles 2.0 and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

The greatest band of all time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Great band

Edit: I live my life in the citttay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,809 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

They were either great or they were shîte there didn’t seem to be any middle ground with them, both on record and live.

Weirdly when I saw them in the early days when they were releasing their more acclaimed work their live shows were pretty average. The sound almost always seemed to be dire. Landsdown in 2000 was the worst gig I’ve ever been to, for this reason.

I remember seeing them in 2002 in Le Zenith in Paris, touring Heathen Chemistry and they blew the roof of the place, the Andy Bell / Gem Archer lineup was certainly the best live incarnation of the group, far more dynamic and exciting.

Advertisement