Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to buy a TV satellite dish for my new house?

Options
  • 28-08-2020 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there, I’m moving from a rented house into a newbuild house (both in Donegal).
    Right now we have the LG 55inch 7450 tv and love it. I have the Saorview channels tuned in via the aerial and scanned in UK channels via the existing Satellite dish at our rented house.
    I’m wondering if I need to buy a satellite dish for my new house or is there an easier way of doing things?
    I’d also love to have all channels on one list instead of Irish on Aerial and UK on Sat but it’s not priority.
    We already have subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc so ideally don’t want to be paying another monthly subscription fee for sky/virgin etc.
    Any help and advice for TV set up in our new home would be great, thank you!
    Ps, we have a Hisense tv for our bedroom and will be buying a second LG small tv for our kitchen but we don’t mind if these aren’t tuned into channels, we can stick to streaming on these.
    Thanks again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

Scullso wrote: »
    Hi there, I’m moving from a rented house into a newbuild house (both in Donegal).
    Right now we have the LG 55inch 7450 tv and love it. I have the Saorview channels tuned in via the aerial and scanned in UK channels via the existing Satellite dish at our rented house.
    I’m wondering if I need to buy a satellite dish for my new house or is there an easier way of doing things?
    I’d also love to have all channels on one list instead of Irish on Aerial and UK on Sat but it’s not priority.
    We already have subscriptions to Netflix, Prime, Disney+ etc so ideally don’t want to be paying another monthly subscription fee for sky/virgin etc.
    Any help and advice for TV set up in our new home would be great, thank you!
    Ps, we have a Hisense tv for our bedroom and will be buying a second LG small tv for our kitchen but we don’t mind if these aren’t tuned into channels, we can stick to streaming on these.
    Thanks again!

Depending where in Donegal you are (are you in the east of the county?), you might be able to pick up Freeview from a transmitter in the North. Since you're already tuning in FreeSat in your current house, I imagine this isn't an option.

All is not lost however. In answer to your main question, then yes, you need a dish. Since not interested in Sky, you're going to have to pay to get one put up anyway, so don't get one of the Sky mesh dishes - they'll work (at leas initially), but they'll rot, especially if you're anywhere near the sea (salt air chewed up 2 on us over a 9 year period on the south coast). I've erected a solid Triax dish and 3 years and numerous storms later it hasn't budged and still looks like new. Not sure what size you'd need for Donegal, but an installer should be able to advise.

Next, the combined EPG is straightforward. Look at Linux/Android boxes with dual tuners, one or more for satellite, and one or more for aerial. This will combine the FreeSat EPG and the Saorview EPG into 1, allow easy switching and recording in the one place, series-link type functionality etc. I'm a bit out of touch with what's good at the moment (I've a Vu+ Duo2 which has performed flawlessly for the past 7 years or so), but a bit of research here and in UK satellite forums should get you up to speed. I'm not too familiar with the Android boxes, but I think that you can get Netflix at least working on these, so being Android, you might be able to get other streaming services going as well. I'm open to correction on this.

Depending on how much it costs to get the dish up, you'd be looking at a one off cost of maybe €3-400 (don't forget to budget for a Saorview aerial as well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Scullso

JMcL wrote: »
    Depending where in Donegal you are (are you in the east of the county?), you might be able to pick up Freeview from a transmitter in the North. Since you're already tuning in FreeSat in your current house, I imagine this isn't an option.

All is not lost however. In answer to your main question, then yes, you need a dish. Since not interested in Sky, you're going to have to pay to get one put up anyway, so don't get one of the Sky mesh dishes - they'll work (at leas initially), but they'll rot, especially if you're anywhere near the sea (salt air chewed up 2 on us over a 9 year period on the south coast). I've erected a solid Triax dish and 3 years and numerous storms later it hasn't budged and still looks like new. Not sure what size you'd need for Donegal, but an installer should be able to advise.

Next, the combined EPG is straightforward. Look at Linux/Android boxes with dual tuners, one or more for satellite, and one or more for aerial. This will combine the FreeSat EPG and the Saorview EPG into 1, allow easy switching and recording in the one place, series-link type functionality etc. I'm a bit out of touch with what's good at the moment (I've a Vu+ Duo2 which has performed flawlessly for the past 7 years or so), but a bit of research here and in UK satellite forums should get you up to speed. I'm not too familiar with the Android boxes, but I think that you can get Netflix at least working on these, so being Android, you might be able to get other streaming services going as well. I'm open to correction on this.

Depending on how much it costs to get the dish up, you'd be looking at a one off cost of maybe €3-400 (don't forget to budget for a Saorview aerial as well!)

Thank you so much for your reply, I didn’t even think of having to install a Saorview aerial too so lots to think about! We are currently in Buncrana, 15mins from the border and will be moving to Letterkenny. I was hoping to avoid boxes as the LG tv we have has all desired streaming apps already installed so it would be nice to not have any additional devices but obviously if this is necessary we can’t avoid it

Advertisement