Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony WH1000XM3 £229

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Well the XM4 are better but def not £120 extra better imo

fair feedback

i had the 2's and tbh thought the NC on them was slightly more effective but the 3's are lighter, more comfortable and look better imo

would agree that even if the new ones are better that any improvement at this stage would be incremental

in fact if you see the 2's at this price they'd also be worth it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have these and they are brilliant, I use them for work and for personal and find them absolutely brilliant, I'd highly recommend them. 1 thing to note though is they can only pair to 1 device at a time so if you are using them on a laptop and then want to move to a phone you'll have to unpair and pair them, not that difficult especially with NFC but just something to consider.

hmm its not a full pair/unpair for me to change devices, i just have to go into my bluetooth and connect, five second job.

no different to pretty much any bluetooth device ime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

I have a pair and can't fault the sound and NC. Only complaint is the touch controls on them (pause, volume) is not the most sensitive and you really have to hit them sometimes for it to recognise you touch.

• Advertisement

I have the 2s and they're great. Might get the 4s or 5s in a year or whatever, the 2s are still more than good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

I have these...now I haven't tested a lot of headphones but these really are amazing to me.
    Noise cancelling is amazing and sound is next level, if there is anyone on the fence about getting these if the price is right...get them!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have a pair of these and they're excellent. They're fantastic for flights, trains etc....back when we could fly :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Surprised at all the positive comments here. The WH1000s are regarded as poor when it comes to call quality. If you just listen to music then you’ll be ok. But don’t expect them to provide good call quality to whoever is on the other end of the call.

I was in the market recently and picked up AirPods Pro. Much better earphones than these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

quarryman wrote: »
    Surprised at all the positive comments here. The WH1000s are regarded as poor when it comes to call quality. If you just listen to music then you’ll be ok. But don’t expect them to provide good call quality to whoever is on the other end of the call.

I was in the market recently and picked up AirPods Pro. Much better earphones than these.

Except when they keep falling out of your ears, like me! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

I had a pair of these and absolutely loved them. The sound is amazing and the NC is great.

Problem, when I walk there was a clicking in the hinges. Brought them back and same thing on the 2nd pair.

Eventually swapped them for Bose NC700s. I prefer the Sony but the clicking drove me mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭laneooo

I don't really think you can compare tbh you are comparing earbuds to headphones... but I think the only category the airpods can beat the M3's is calls and portability, airpods can't compare to the M3's on battery or media or noise canceling and even comfort...you could wear the M3's all day and not even know you have them on they are so light and now the airpods are even more expensive than the M3's...and yes I have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Another +1 for these here. I use them as my headphones for work and spend a lot of time on calls - they're fine for video conferencing type calls in a quiet office (e.g. on my own). There are 2 other guys who I have calls with regularly who also use these and sound is perfect (in the same circumstances as above).

Where I find they're not great for calls is in office settings, where they pick up a lot of background noise with other people around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Soarer wrote: »
    Except when they keep falling out of your ears, like me! :(

That’s actually a good point. I had the non-Pros too and although they had no noise cancelling they were much better at staying in my ears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What are these like with iPhones? Would use them with a windows laptop too but I’ve tripped into the Apple ecosystem and by somebody giving me an iPhone and I’m looking for a good pair of headphones or earphones. I’d listen to a lot of music from the phone and was considering these while I was still Android, had my attention turned to the AirPod pros for a bit but I just couldn’t shake the feeling of them being overpriced for that poor battery quality.

I see certain people online mentioning the iPhone/headphones won’t support certain codecs so quality isn’t as good as when they’d be used with a Windows/Android device, not sure how detrimental it is though to user enjoyment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

yeah the noise cancelling is the draw here

i. noise cancelling- its surreal on a plane, bus, or (relevant to current circs) sitting in a room with a dryer on) to switch this function on, its eerie

ii. comfort- genuinely wear them for hours without issues

iii. battery life is crazy

they arent a business/work call headset, imo. the nc interferes with your own voice

and yeah you can buy more expensive sets with better sound quality, or cheaper sets without noise cancelling

you cant buy a better set for the use case ime- listening to something in silence and comfort no matter what is exploding around you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Just to add to the praise, I got these a couple of months ago after eyeing them up for a long time, originally was looking at the Senheisser QCs but then started reading how these were even better so eventually took the plunge and definitely don't regret the purchase, they are an amazing set and well worth the money. If you're looking for fantastic noise cancelling and great sound as well these are well worth the investment. Probably not really designed for lengthy calls etc but they'll do the job if you're taking a quick call.

I haven't had the chance to use them on a plane yet but on a busy enough Luas they are fantastic, blocking all the nonsense out. Great battery as I rarely have to charge them and they charge very quickly as well. They blow my €90 Philips noise cancelling set away anyway which I was initially nervous about, thinking am I mad to be spending this much on headphones? But really you get what you pay for with these. I think I paid £40-ish more for these than what they are now so would be a good time to buy them imo.

My only bugbear with them is the fact you can't connect them to 2 devices at once but it's a minor inconvenience really. Good to see they've fixed that on the latest model although I don't think there's enough of an upgrade there to warrant spending an extra £120 on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭bergipau

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    What are these like with iPhones? Would use them with a windows laptop too but I’ve tripped into the Apple ecosystem and by somebody giving me an iPhone and I’m looking for a good pair of headphones or earphones. I’d listen to a lot of music from the phone and was considering these while I was still Android, had my attention turned to the AirPod pros for a bit but I just couldn’t shake the feeling of them being overpriced for that poor battery quality.

I see certain people online mentioning the iPhone/headphones won’t support certain codecs so quality isn’t as good as when they’d be used with a Windows/Android device, not sure how detrimental it is though to user enjoyment.

I have used them with iPhones for years. I wouldn’t even compare these Sony headphones to the apple air pods. If you want noise cancelling and excellent audio quality the the Sony wins every time. I do agree that the Sony’s are not super for phone calls. But it depends what you want. The AirPods are more portable and better for calls, but neither of those was important to me. I have the mx3s about 18 months and I had the first version of the Sony’s before that. I even converted several Bose fans over to Sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

Would anyone recommend eglobal over Amazon? Or for the sake of the 30e is it worth having the warranty that Amazon provides (I know they're hassle free if you have issues or need a replacement etc.)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

ciara1052 wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend eglobal over Amazon? Or for the sake of the 30e is it worth having the warranty that Amazon provides (I know they're hassle free if you have issues or need a replacement etc.)

I've never had a single issue with eGlobal. Maybe the €30 isn't worth it (warranty/returns as you said) but always worthwhile knowing what other prices are out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

When will they be down around 100 euro ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

ciara1052 wrote: »

Better off paying the extra €30, I'm pretty sure you'll get no warranty at all from Sony if you buy from eGlobal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,497 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Never.

They'll stop making them in a few months.

Same happened with Xm1 and Xm2 they never got super cheap...just out of stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

noodler wrote: »
    Never.

They'll stop making them in a few months.

Same happened with Xm1 and Xm2 they never got super cheap...just out of stock.

I picked up a 2nd hand pair of XM2's a few months back for 100 Euro - not that much different to the XM3's in terms of sound quality apparently (great for listening to tunes while mowing the lawn - not too much flying these days).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A steal at 279 when I bought them. Absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭fiload

For anyone thinking of purchasing I would highly recommend them, I have the XM1's for nearly 3 years and they are still going strong, very happy with the purchase!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Going for €214 on Amazon.es at the moment. Don't know postage charges. I believe this price is in response to Media Markt's VAT-free offers this weekend and so will probably revert to 249 or whatever tomorrow. The xm3 earbuds also going cheap at €148.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭keos

Going for €214 on Amazon.es at the moment. Don't know postage charges. I believe this price is in response to Media Markt's VAT-free offers this weekend and so will probably revert to 249 or whatever tomorrow. The xm3 earbuds also going cheap at €148.

They don't seem to ship to Irl / UK. Unless I'm doing something wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Really? Not good to compare in ear and on ear. Had Both. AirPods kept falling out. If comparing in ear then the WF-1000XM3. The WF are excellent, and they stay in your ears.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Ash_

It is down to €207.78 (discount applied at checkout) in Amazon Germany

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07GDR2LYK/

Delivery fee is €8.50/9.54 to Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Any discount code to apply?

Ash_ wrote: »

Would you not sign up for prime free trial to get free delivery? (Doesn't seem to recognise my .co.uk membership on the .de site)

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

noodler wrote: »
    Would you not sign up for prime free trial to get free delivery? (Doesn't seem to recognise my .co.uk membership on the .de site)
    From Amazon DE, you can only get free Prime delivery to Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg & the Netherlands.

Quackster wrote: »
    From Amazon DE, you can only get free Prime delivery to Germany, Austria, Belgium, Luxemburg & the Netherlands.

Weird it is asking me to take the trail for free delivery even tho it's established I'm in Ireland!

Thanks tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭sugarman20

That's a good price. I love these headphones. Great for blocking out the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

sugarman20 wrote: »
    That's a good price. I love these headphones. Great for blocking out the missus.

Do they work on all missuses? I might be interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Any idea how long that promotion is running for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Anyone know how they compare against the Bose QC2s ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Anyone know how they compare against the Bose QC2s ?

https://www.soundguys.com/sony-wh-1000xm3-or-bose-qc35-ii-which-to-buy-22275/

“Both are exceptional headphones, but there are tradeoffs on either. However, in most respects: the Sony WH-1000XM3 ( among the best headphones Sony has to offer) is the runaway winner here.”

Can personally vouch for the XM3’s as being fantastic. Picked up the XM4’s on Amazon a few days ago for £298.

Went for it.

Looking forward to trying them.assume non-issue returning to .de site if any issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Most reviews and users rate the Sony better for noise cancellation. Sony are also a newer headphone them the Bose.

I've just ordered, they will be here Monday week. I had previously ordered them but cancelled when I got wind of the pixel 5 deal with the Bose headphones. Having read some reviews, I'll be selling the Bose once they arrive. Tempted to give them a listen and compare against Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

Seems like the offer is gone. Great price. Missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭dan786

Picked up one of these for 199 Euros (179£) from cameracentreuk on Ebay , didnt see the benefits for spending extra 100+ on the Xm4

Advertisement