Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beneficiary in Will refusing to give date of birth

• 18-06-2021 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Is there any way around applying for Grant of Probate. one beneficiary refusing to give DOB. Have exhausted all avenues at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Allinall

Redsquigy wrote: »
    Is there any way around applying for Grant of Probate. one beneficiary refusing to give DOB. Have exhausted all avenues at this stage.

Put it to them that if they don’t comply with legal requirements, they will lose their inheritance.

That should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Why do you need the DOB?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Redsquigy

Why do you need the DOB?

Date of birth is required for Revenue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Date of birth is required for Revenue

Thought they only wanted PPS ?

Thought they only wanted PPS ?

no, date of birth also required. A right pain this is. since September 2020 new rules on form that has to be submitted to Revenue in order to get acknowledgment. it is then submitted to probate office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

buy the client a birthday cake and then present it to them next time they're in.
    When they say its not their birthday, ask them to prove it.

(alternatively, ask them for a copy of passport/driving licence for ID purposes)

buy the client a birthday cake and then present it to them next time they're in.
    When they say its not their birthday, ask them to prove it.

(alternatively, ask them for a copy of passport/driving licence for ID purposes)

sounds good :) but i am executor of will not solicitor

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Ahhh, i see. Tell them you have to file a form of Id with the probate, let beneficiary choose which ID they want to give a copy of.

out of sheer curiosity,. why do they not want to give DOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

If they were born in 1958 or before that, go onto www.familysearch.org and look for their birth. You may well be able to find the year and the quarter in which they were born. Then all you need is the month and the date.

Ahhh, i see. Tell them you have to file a form of Id with the probate, let beneficiary choose which ID they want to give a copy of.

out of sheer curiosity,. why do they not want to give DOB?

i have no idea. they just will not supply it. Think mad that they did not get everything :)

• Advertisement

Bicyclette wrote: »
    If they were born in 1958 or before that, go onto www.familysearch.org and look for their birth. You may well be able to find the year and the quarter in which they were born. Then all you need is the month and the date.

born 1980's

While its ok to request DOB, I dont think theres any legal obligation is there? I mean, PPS is a unique number. Theres probable multiple Paul Murphy, DOB 01/01/1980 in the world.

While its ok to request DOB, I dont think theres any legal obligation is there? I mean, PPS is a unique number. Theres probable multiple Paul Murphy, DOB 01/01/1980 in the world.

unfortunately date of birth has to be filled in on online Revenue form. it is all to do with new Rules and it is for validation purposes

unfortunately date of birth has to be filled in on online Revenue form. it is all to do with new Rules and it is for validation purposes

Says who though? This is the legal section so Im curious as to what legislation covers this. GDPR states that it must be a reasonable request. Considering the existance of a PPS number in addition to a name, why do they need DOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

Could you give the Revenue Helpline a buzz? Explain the situation.

But the solicitor should be helping you out here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

born 1980's

Have you tried their social media? Other family members? Newspaper archives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If the beneficiary is a Company Director you could obtain their Date Of Birth from the Annual Return B1 form of that company (you can get this from the CRO website for a processing fee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Is there any way around applying for Grant of Probate.

No (unless the value of the estate is very small).

However according to Irish Probate Law, the executor can renounce their obligation to administer the will if they wish.

So if she (it has to be a female!) persists in playing silly buggers then you could write to all of the beneficiaries and tell them that you're going to have to quit as executor. And tell them why! And tell them that they'll probably need to employ a solicitor which could cost a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, give the Revenue helpline a ring and if they stonewall you, I'd just put down a fake date. 01/01/1980 or something, just to get past it. Nobody will care.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, give the Revenue helpline a ring and if they stonewall you, I'd just put down a fake date. 01/01/1980 or something, just to get past it. Nobody will care.
    Do not put down a fake DOB. Knowingly giving the Revenue false information is a criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

My suggestion is that you get a solicitor to write a letter to them explaining that unless they are forthcoming with the details required by revenue, by a certain date that you will accept it as them refusing the beneficiary and their share will be distributed to the other beneficiaries.

solicitor has already asked but as they are dealing with the estate they will not enter into further negotiations with any beneficiaries. thanks for all the suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Go to Joyce House in Lombard Street and buy their birth cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Pistachio19

How odd that they won't provide their dob. Are there any siblings? Could you ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Do you need PPS in order for a parent to leave a child an inheritance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

born 1980's

I'm pretty sure they were born on 27 July 1983.
    Prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Jerry Attrick

Do you need PPS in order for a parent to leave a child an inheritance?

No - you need two PPSNs! One for the parent and one for the child.
    Occasionally a PPS number may be required for a deceased person, usually when dealing with grant of probate.

In such cases, you should send a copy of the death certificate and details about why the PPS number is required to the DSP's Client Identity Services - the address is below.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/personal_public_service_number.html

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭stopthevoting

The Date of Birth is one of the pieces of information you need to provide in order to buy a Birth Certificate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Ha, I meant more than if you wanted to include a birth child in your will but did not have a PPS for them, could you still legally do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unfortunately:

To get a birth certificate you need to provide:

full birth name on the certificate

date of birth

place of birth

father's full name, if recorded

mother's full birth name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

Unfortunately:

date of birth

place of birth

mother's full birth name
    I imagine you cannot execute your executor duties then?
    Let any other beneficiaries and "birthday boy" know that they have a week for "birthday boy's" birthdate.
    If not, you inform probate office that you cannot execute. They appoint a solicitor (independent I believe, at cost of estate) as executor.

Whatever the outcome, send birthday boy multiple cards, with age stated, on their birthday, from here on in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ha, I meant more than if you wanted to include a birth child in your will but did not have a PPS for them, could you still legally do so?

You can leave whatever you want to whoever you want. I believe that your executor can say that he failed to acquire sufficient data to fulfil his responsibilities and that the child's share should go into the residue of the estate.

Its not something thtt should be done without legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you only give one bit of information there's no way of cross checking it to make sure there no typo etc on the pps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Flinty997 wrote: »
    If you only give one bit of information there's no way of cross checking it to make sure there no typo etc on the pps.

Name + PPSN is two pieces.

And PPSNs have an internal check digit, which reduces the chances of a typo being valid.

But that's irrelevant: Revenue are asking for DOB so must believe they need it.

Personally I would be informing the other beneficiaries why their distribution is being delayed, possibly indefinitely, and seeing what they can find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

People refusing to provide information for a reasonable request is a red flag IMHO

Is this going to hold up things i.e. affect the other beneficiaries?

If so, why not let them know so they can put pressure on the outlier.

As already mentioned, you can get this info off CRO or Vision Net for a fee (assuming person is a company director - which they may not be)

• Advertisement

People refusing to provide information for a reasonable request is a red flag IMHO

Is this going to hold up things i.e. affect the other beneficiaries?

If so, why not let them know so they can put pressure on the outlier.

As already mentioned, you can get this info off CRO or Vision Net for a fee (assuming person is a company director - which they may not be)

other beneficiaries are aware and dont seem too bothered that all is held up. none are directors of any company. Think this one in particular is just being petty now. i have never come across anything like this before.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They're not on Facebook, are they?

Have they no relations who know when they were born?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Is the person on Linkedin - you'd be surprised how many put their birthdays on that.

Presume none of the other beneficiaries can confirm the date of birth? You may need to focus on somebody who can provide the information.

Surprised that solicitor won't do more to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

There is a section on the SA2 where you can avail of no PPSN number, what would happen if you said PPSN wasn't available and availed of the amended SA25 option?
    Where a PPSN is not available for a beneficiary of the estate, the Form SA.2 contains
    a facility to allow an applicant to give an undertaking that they will not distribute any
    property passing under the estate to that beneficiary until the PPSN is provided to
    the Revenue Commissioners on an amended Form SA.2 return. This facility is in
    order to assist our customers proceed with the application for a Grant of
    Representation. Please note that an undertaking can only be given for one
    beneficiary per application. To avail of this facility please tick the box to indicate that
    a PPSN is not available and follow the on-screen instructions.

Would SW be able to tie the PPSN to a birthdate?

• Advertisement

Is the person on Linkedin - you'd be surprised how many put their birthdays on that.

Presume none of the other beneficiaries can confirm the date of birth? You may need to focus on somebody who can provide the information.

Surprised that solicitor won't do more to help.

other beneficiaries are related and not helping either.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    There is a section on the SA2 where you can avail of no PPSN number, what would happen if you said PPSN wasn't available and availed of the amended SA25 option?

Would SW be able to tie the PPSN to a birthdate?

think i will have to ask solicitor to try that. we have pps number

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭headtheball14

Could you write in age approx and send it in? Deasp have access to a file with pppsn name address dob that revenue have access to . With the ppsn this is just a look up. It's more common people not having ppsn .
    It's not uncommon to have the wrong dob down for people and I'm sure there are cases where it can't be established

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That puts things in a whole different light. Someone influential has an incentive to delay distribution of the estate.

In that case, unless you're also a beneficiary, I'd be talking to a solicitor about ways to renounce being executor. This nightmare will go on for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Unfortunately:

date of birth

place of birth

mother's full birth name

You do not. All you need is
    Page Number
    GS Film number
    Digital Folder Number
    Image Number
    Birthplace
    Registration Quarter and Year

I have done this. The information is available online for free in the case of persons born before 1958.

In any case once you have a general idea of the persons age and place of birth you can go to Werburgh St and look up the registers.

The o/p should at least be able to find the mothers maiden name and approximate age if he knows the relatives of the person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That puts things in a whole different light. Someone influential has an incentive to delay distribution of the estate.

In that case, unless you're also a beneficiary, I'd be talking to a solicitor about ways to renounce being executor. This nightmare will go on for a long time.

Ya all very weird.

They're up to something. I'd exit as quick as I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Have you asked them why they wont give it
    Do they not want the inheritance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,487 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Personally I would be informing the other beneficiaries why their distribution is being delayed, possibly indefinitely, and seeing what they can find out.

While this would be tempting, I'd be cautious about revealing any information to the other beneficiaries as you would be breaching confidentiality. If someone is being petty about DOB, they could well get even more petty about you revealing their business to other family members.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,495 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This suggests to me that someone is holding up probate because they're living in a house which is part of the estate and which has been left to someone else. And they think they can effectively live rent-free by delaying probate forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

Would the probate office (beside Smithfield luas stop) be of any assistance?

I would be tempted just to get three quotes from solicitors and be rid of the whole thing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement