Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Allowance and move to Spain

Options
  • 28-01-2021 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

My friend is on Disability Allowance. Can he move to Spain and continue to get Disability or similar and what is the situation re housing in Spain. He currently lives in an apartment supplied by a housing organisation who supply housing for disabled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My friend is on Disability Allowance. Can he move to Spain and continue to get Disability or similar and what is the situation re housing in Spain. He currently lives in an apartment supplied by a housing organisation who supply housing for disabled

Your best source of accurate information on this is the Citizens Advice folk. Give them a call tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Look like a no from the advice on citizens advice.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

To qualify for Disability Allowance (DA) you must:

Have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued, or may be expected to continue, for at least one year
    As a result of this disability be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    Be aged between 16 and 66. When you reach 66 years of age you no longer qualify for DA, but you are assessed for a State pension.
    Satisfy a means test
    Satisfy the habitual residence condition.

Mimon wrote: »
    Look like a no from the advice on citizens advice.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_allowance.html

To qualify for Disability Allowance (DA) you must:

Have an injury, disease or physical or mental disability that has continued, or may be expected to continue, for at least one year
    As a result of this disability be substantially restricted in undertaking work that would otherwise be suitable for a person of your age, experience and qualifications
    Be aged between 16 and 66. When you reach 66 years of age you no longer qualify for DA, but you are assessed for a State pension.
    Satisfy a means test
    Satisfy the habitual residence condition.

He is already on Disability Allowance here in Ireland; it is the possibility of transferring that to Spain if he moves there ie the rules in a different country.

I came to Ireland from the UK 20 years ago and my Disability and Mobility Allowances came with me. It took a far amount of red tape.

I meant to ask Citizens Advice re who to speak to regarding the move to Spain? ie if the allowances transfer .

As being EU it might be a very simple matter; hopefully.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I had to raise a query on something social welfare related, on behalf of a relative, a while back.

I just raised it as a general query, with the relevant social welfare department, by phone, and they could not have been more helpful.

So in this case, for example, 'is it possible to move...'.
    No names given, no personal details, just a general query.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭rhc2s4lj5p0xu9

I had to raise a query on something social welfare related, on behalf of a relative, a while back.

I just raised it as a general query, with the relevant social welfare department, by phone, and they could not have been more helpful.

So in this case, for example, 'is it possible to move...'.
    No names given, no personal details, just a general query.
    what did they say? I know its only general but it might point the way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

what did they say? I know its only general but it might point the way

It was a different issue.

You could ring the relevant social welfare department, or your friend could and ask is it possible for someone to move out of the country and continue to receive disability allowance.

They will be able to tell you yes or no, and then your friend can take things from there.

It was a different issue.

You could ring the relevant social welfare department, or your friend could and ask is it possible for someone to move out of the country and continue to receive disability allowance.

They will be able to tell you yes or no, and then your friend can take things from there.

In the UK we have the same at Citizens Info is here and as your society here do they are totally clued up on every topic like this and sometimes more so than the Social Welfare folk if you get an inexperienced clerk on the line.

There was an issue re Mobility Allowance that I had to seek advice outside UK social welfare with as a less knowledgeable clerk tried to tell me I should not have been getting it the two years here and that the would be taking it back from me. Citizens Advice corrected them so it can be a good idea to have two strings to your bow on these matters. And no harm done.

With a matter like moving abroad they may not get many queries.

Advertisement