Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Uncles WW1 Medals sold at auction

Options
  • 07-06-2016 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi all,

Am hoping some of you can share your collective wisdom on this please.

My G Uncles 1914-15 Star & British War and Victory Medals were sold at auction recently. A very kind lady who carries out research at Netley Military Cemetery (where he is buried), who I had been in contact with a number of years ago discovered this after the fact & sent me on the auctioneers details. I have since made contact with the auctioneer & they have offered to forward an email to the buyer.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should include? Obviously this could be a distant family member or a dealer, if a dealer we want to buy them back for the family & future generations. In the case that it's family it would be nice to make contact & share our research.

Have any of you any experience of this, any lessons learned that you would like to share?

Many thanks

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Do you have any idea how they ended up in auction?
    If it was me I would be very eager to get them back. I would imagine if a dealer/ WW1 enthusiast has bought them, they would not begrudge them being sold back to the family. Hopefully it is a family member who has bought them.

I have absolutely no idea how you would go about this tactfully, apart from writing a letter to the buyer. Hopefully somebody else may have some advise/ first hand experience for you.

I have my own Great-Uncles medals, but my Uncle has the death penny in another country! I have asked him to leave it to me in his will do that it will be reunited with the medals. Unfortunately I know that it will end up in a dealers shop otherwise :-(

Advertisement